ATA-133 vs. ATA-100

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I resetly upgraded from a Western Digital 40GB 7200RPM ATA-100 drive to a Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM ATA-133 drive and saw no difference. (I upgraded my board to the Gigabyte GA-7VTXH+ to get ATA-133 support)

About 5 days later by drive got the Click Deatha dn I had to go back to my old WD40. I saw no differnce (It was running UDMA 6, now at 5) Anyone have a different experience?

*Side Question*
Western Digital vs. Maxtor, what do you prefer?

-Kanaz

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Actually, I understand you'd be pressed to find a difference between ATA66 and ATA100. The problem is that the figures 66Mb/s and 100Mb/s are Maxiumum transfer speeds and these come completely out of the disks cache. Sustained transfer speed and access times are much more important indicators of a disks potential. For your disk this is going to be about from about 40Mb/s at the begining of the drive to 20Mb/s at the end. Thus ATA133 is not likely to make one jot of difference to your overall performance.

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Yes, I agree, not only unlikely but impossible with one drive. If you did all these upgrades just for drive speed you got hosed and wasted alot of $$$. If you want better drive speed get a striped set of drives =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
The speed of current drives is being held back by the rotation speed (e.g. 7200RPM), not the interface (e.g. ATA133). You should have asked before buying, I would've told you to save your money.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
So is four. You could stripe four Maxtor D740X series of drives on a Promise TX4 controller and sustain a little more then 100MB/sec.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Yes you could, but each drive in the array will still be reading at ~30MB/s. In any event the TX4 has ATA100 controllers so you still don't need ATA133 for this performance. I understood the only reason for ATA133 was for >137MB drive size.

G

I have been using the Maxtor drive every day since about Jan 5. I love it. It it's not too loud. An occasional click but nothing bad. It stays cool. My hd tach is 35199 avg kps. No failures and I have partitioned it into 3 and ran it hard. $89 for a 40gb 7200rpm drive I think is hard to beat. I don't think you can waste money on this drive.
Maxtor does beat W.D. in most reviews. IBM and Seagate beats it with performance but IBM is unreliable and Seagate is not Raid friendly. I'm not preaching, just offering info.

FatBurger

Illustrious
137GB is the limit for ATA100 drives. I believe the only drives on the market bigger than that are SCSI.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Maxtor has a 160GB hard drive. The only other drive bigger then that is a Seagate at 180GB (as far as I know).

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah? Ok, I hadn't heard about that. I guess the WD 100GB drives have been overshadowing them for some reason.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I heard it the first time, but thanks.

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
* NON-TOPIC QUESTION *

How do you make your text be in a different color?

* BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED FORUM *

-Kanaz

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You want to encase the color in brackets []. So it will look like [ red ]the word you want that color[/ red ] without the spaces (I had to put the spaces in for it to show up).

Check the FAQ for more information.

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Thanks for the color thing, though I wish I was like FatBurger and had done it early on to get my name like that.

-<font color=green>Kanaz</font color=green>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Done what early on?