System Freezes then prompts to select proper boot device

Marsmaniii

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Wasnt quite sure how to word the topic of the thread other then how I did.

I recently built / assembled a system from parts purchased on newegg and I'm having some small issues and I can't seem to find solutions just temporary fixes so I'm reaching out.

My specs are as follows

CPU - AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5ghz
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
Memory - 16gb of G.SKILL Trident X Series
Graphics card - MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2gb
Heatsink - Cooler master hyper 212
Power supply - Thermaltake TR2 600W
HDD / SSD - Cruicial M4 128gb
with a basic samsung dvd drive all tucked in a Zalman Z11 mid tower case.

The 2 problems I'm having are first, if I leave the computer on for anywhere from 30mins to an hour without use it seems to reboot or restart but improperly so when I come back to it its at the screen before it would go into installing windows or the BIOS menu and it says "please reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot disc." First I thought it might be because my motherboard wasnt recognizing my ssd but it does, it shows up in the bios as one of the boot devices ( it wasn't before but now it shows up ) that brings me to my second problem, when in use for periods of time, whether I'm gaming or just browsing the web listening to pandora, it eventually locks up like completely to the the point where I can't even alt+f4 or ctrl/alt/del to open the task manager. I have to hard restart it via the power button. Along with the freezes before I was getting BSOD just after the freeze then taking me to the Reboot and select proper boot device prompt. Now I haven't gotten a BSOD since the SSD started showing up in the bios / boot options but it still freezes and I have to hard restart it. When I hard restart it I just get the Windows did not shut down properly screen with safemode and command prompt options. It brings me to this screen after hard rebooting after either problem occurs.

It's not overheating drivers are up to date everything is plugged in and getting power. I'm stumped. SSD going bad or gone bad possibly? Time to RMA the motherboard? Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

scragnoff

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
It's good to hear that your BSOD has stopped.

Just in case it happens (which I sincerely hope it doesn't), here are a few steps to take to make sure you can get that BSOD error message (assuming of course, that you haven't done this yet).

1. Click Start. Click Control Panel.
2. Click System and Security. Double-click System.
3. Click Advanced System Settings.
4. Click Settings under the section labeled Startup and Recovery. Uncheck Automatically restart. Click OK.

If a BSOD happens again, it will not automatically restart. This will give you time to jot down the error messages that appear onscreen.

To restart, simply press the Restart Button of your pc.

Hope this will be of help.

Marsmaniii

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Cant' find the option to disable the auto restart on BSOD but it seems im just having the freeze then it goes to reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media. So I humored it and put in my W7 disc and the SSD showed up with my partions on it and it's also now a boot device recognized by my bios, before it wasnt. from what I could find out about similar problems it appears the SSD is taking a dump gonna bust out an old mechanical and throw windows on it and see what happens.

TRENDING THREADS