Civilization 2 application error

Hey, I just bought this gam efor my computer, and I installed it. But
whenever I try and play it, it gives me this message:

"CIV2 caused a General Protection Fault in module IR41.DLL at 0005:4E60
Choose close. CIV2 will close."

I don't know how to use this computer that well, so please be patient with
me. Ty in advance

Please Help!

Robb Reis

Hi Robb Reis,

See if downloading and installing the game patch resolves the problem:

http://www.atari.com/us/support/newfaq/civilizationii.php?browser=1&dlID=55&osType=WINXP&pageDisplay=DOWNLOADS#faq_prodissues

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Robb Reis" <RobbReis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey, I just bought this gam efor my computer, and I installed it. But
> whenever I try and play it, it gives me this message:
>
> "CIV2 caused a General Protection Fault in module IR41.DLL at 0005:4E60
> Choose close. CIV2 will close."
>
> I don't know how to use this computer that well, so please be patient with
> me. Ty in advance
>
> Please Help!
>
> Robb Reis

sorry it's not working, I believe I did what the site told me to do right, do
you have any other suggestions?

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> Hi Robb Reis,
>

> See if downloading and installing the game patch resolves the problem:
>
> http://www.atari.com/us/support/newfaq/civilizationii.php?browser=1&dlID=55&osType=WINXP&pageDisplay=DOWNLOADS#faq_prodissues
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "Robb Reis" <RobbReis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey, I just bought this gam efor my computer, and I installed it. But
> > whenever I try and play it, it gives me this message:
> >
> > "CIV2 caused a General Protection Fault in module IR41.DLL at 0005:4E60
> > Choose close. CIV2 will close."
> >
> > I don't know how to use this computer that well, so please be patient with
> > me. Ty in advance
> >
> > Please Help!
> >
> > Robb Reis

This was written for WIN2K, but it may also be applicable for WINXP:

"Do *not* install Video for Windows during CivII setup. If you did
this already, delete Ir41.dll from Winnt\system"

Since you're running XP, it would be found in Windows\System, not
WINNT\System. If you're hesitant to delete the file, you could simply rename
it to something like:
Ir41.dl_
or
Ir41dll.old

Regards,

--

> sorry it's not working, I believe I did what the site told me to do right,
do
> you have any other suggestions?
>
> "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
>
> > Hi Robb Reis,
> >

> > See if downloading and installing the game patch resolves the problem:

http://www.atari.com/us/support/newfaq/civilizationii.php?browser=1&dlID=55&osType=WINXP&pageDisplay=DOWNLOADS#faq_prodissues

> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Patti MacLeod
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >
> > "Robb Reis" <RobbReis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hey, I just bought this gam efor my computer, and I installed it. But
> > > whenever I try and play it, it gives me this message:
> > >
> > > "CIV2 caused a General Protection Fault in module IR41.DLL at
0005:4E60
> > > Choose close. CIV2 will close."
> > >
> > > I don't know how to use this computer that well, so please be patient
with
> > > me. Ty in advance
> > >
> > > Please Help!
> > >
> > > Robb Reis

Nothing working, I'm goingto delete everything, off of this disk, and give
the game back, although I really wanted to play it, I can't but thx for your
help anyways.

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> This was written for WIN2K, but it may also be applicable for WINXP:
>
> "Do *not* install Video for Windows during CivII setup. If you did
> this already, delete Ir41.dll from Winnt\system"
>
> Since you're running XP, it would be found in Windows\System, not
> WINNT\System. If you're hesitant to delete the file, you could simply rename
> it to something like:
> Ir41.dl_
> or
> Ir41dll.old
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "Robb Reis" <RobbReis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > sorry it's not working, I believe I did what the site told me to do right,
> do
> > you have any other suggestions?
> >
> > "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Robb Reis,
> > >

> > > See if downloading and installing the game patch resolves the problem:
> > >

> http://www.atari.com/us/support/newfaq/civilizationii.php?browser=1&dlID=55&osType=WINXP&pageDisplay=DOWNLOADS#faq_prodissues
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > --
> > > Patti MacLeod