Display driver AMD has stopped responding and has recovered

hi
i get this error (Display driver AMD has stopped responding and has recovered) most of the times on windows startup
i tried aero disable
my vga is xfx5970 black edition and it has a overvoltage software and before i have time to run it on startup error comes and even after runnig overvolt software this error come too
and yes i have overclocked gpu and cpu both but even in default this error comes again
i have latest driver version
:sarcastic:
and microsoft says you can Increase the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) processing time by adjusting the Timeout Detection and Recovery registry value but i dont know how if you know plz help
i have tested system stability by aida64 and asus pc diagnostics and nothing comes as an error
20 answers Last reply
More about display driver stopped responding recovered
  1. My hands is paining.please remove that dxdiag info by quick edit.first remove and uninsall the drivers and restart and download the latest drivers and install it.
  2. it doesnt work
  3. Please tell your whole specs by going to my computer system properties.
  4. Set EVERYTHING back to stock levels then reinstall latest display and MB drivers. Once everything is running check the temps makes sure nothing is overheating.

    A few questions: How old is the card, when did the problem first occur, and what were you doing when it first occurred?

    +1 on the sys specs

    Don't play with the timeouts, they exist for a reason and tend to be fairly conservative anyway.
  5. Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Asus P8P67
    2*adata 2gb-ddr3 1600g
    2*geil 4gb 1600 GeIL CL9-9-9 DDR3 1600
    System BIOS Date 05/14/2012
    PSD: 1500w thermaltake
    vga: xfx 5970 x2 black edition
    windows 7 64 bit sp1
  6. ddpruitt said:
    Set EVERYTHING back to stock levels then reinstall latest display and MB drivers. Once everything is running check the temps makes sure nothing is overheating.

    A few questions: How old is the card, when did the problem first occur, and what were you doing when it first occurred?

    +1 on the sys specs

    Don't play with the timeouts, they exist for a reason and tend to be fairly conservative anyway.


    ok tnx my vga card is 4 or 5 years old first time was about 1 year ago

    i checked the temps and they are fine
  7. Try to run everything on stock
  8. ASHISH65 said:
    Try to run everything on stock


    ok i'll do that and i'll let you know the results

    vga from catalyst

    cpu from bios

    is that right?
  9. Yes
  10. if it's going to work with default options then where is the problem?
    motherboard? vga? or cpu?
  11. Mostly vga
  12. If it works at stock clocks the only way to determine where the problems lies is to test each component one at a time, but let's make sure it works at stock settings first.
  13. ok i let the system work with stock for how many days?

    and then i overclock again one at a time as u said

    if its vga is there a software to test and see for sure? because i tested with many softs and i tested windows 8 too and this happens there too but i think it's because my vga is for time that ati was a company before they sold out to amd and new amd drivers has problems with ati

    i dont really know but i cant afford to test windows xp because it's useless now
    tnx anyway lets see what happens in these days
  14. what kind of drive subsystem are you using. I only mention this because of various bugs in solid state drives that can cause large delays in the drive subsystem on resource cleanup.
  15. my hdd is seagate 500g
    and with default settings i had blue screen page today and i went through a guide and used the driver fusion software to clean amd drivers from safe mod and installed 13.1 catalyst today now i'm waiting for results tnx for listening
  16. johnbl said:
    what kind of drive subsystem are you using. I only mention this because of various bugs in solid state drives that can cause large delays in the drive subsystem on resource cleanup.

    my hdd is seagate 500g
    and with default settings i had blue screen page today and i went through a guide and used the driver fusion software to clean amd drivers from safe mod and installed 13.1 catalyst today now i'm waiting for results tnx for listening
  17. if you are actually getting a bluescreen with a memory dump. place the memory dump on the cloud so it can be looked at with a debugger.
  18. johnbl said:
    if you are actually getting a bluescreen with a memory dump. place the memory dump on the cloud so it can be looked at with a debugger.

    i used the driver fusion software to clean amd drivers from safe mod and installed 13.1 catalyst and till today everything was fine and again in web surfing in chrome it happend again and i had no blue screen from catalyst 13.1 tnx
  19. amin_ld said:
    hi
    i get this error (Display driver AMD has stopped responding and has recovered) most of the times on windows startup
    i tried aero disable
    my vga is xfx5970 black edition and it has a overvoltage software and before i have time to run it on startup error comes and even after runnig overvolt software this error come too
    and yes i have overclocked gpu and cpu both but even in default this error comes again
    i have latest driver version
    :sarcastic:
    and microsoft says you can Increase the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) processing time by adjusting the Timeout Detection and Recovery registry value but i dont know how if you know plz help
    i have tested system stability by aida64 and asus pc diagnostics and nothing comes as an error


    Sign in as administrator (If you are not administrator you may be blocked)
    Close all the applications that are being used...save and close your files...
    Turn Off the antivirus and firewall, turn off the functions of windows defender.
    If you have multiple security programs installed, they must be turned ALL off. Security will prevent your driver from installing...
    Download the latest CCC driver package, and save it to an easy location. Make sure this is the correct driver for your card.
    Delete all the current AMD video software and drivers, restart the system (the video will look screwy, don't worry)
    Now load install all the newest CCC drivers and restart the system (the driver will not work (yet) as you said, but load it anyway)
    left click start
    left click computer
    right click C drive
    Left click Open
    Right click Users
    Left click properties
    "Check" mark the box that says: Attributes: "Hidden" (there is now a check-mark in the "Hidden" box)
    Click: "Apply"
    Now the system will apply the hidden attributes...and this will take a while, or maybe a long while. Let this proceed, and don't interrupt it...
    During this procedure, a message may inform you that you do not have administrator privilege to the file you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK. Just click: "ignore all."
    When this procedure is finished, click OK (the box will close after you click OK)
    Now you will once again be looking at folders in C drive (don’t close the C drive window or you may regret it)
    (once again) right click Users
    (once again) left click properties
    UN- check the box that says: Attributes "Hidden" (you will now take the check mark OUT, Hidden is no longer checked)
    Click Apply
    Now the computer will UN-apply the hidden attributes, and it may take a while, or a long while...but let it proceed, and finish, don't interrupt it.
    During this procedure, a message may inform you that you are not the administrator of the file that you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK, just click: "ignore all."
    When this is completed click OK
    Now close all windows and restart the computer
    turn all the security back on.
    At this point, the CCC should be functional. Open the CCC and test the functions.
  20. I had the same problem on my asus laptop, running AMD radeon hd 6730m,mostly wen i am gaming..i did try out many things but atlast i changed my power settings and now it doesnt crash .

    Go to advanced power settings --->PCI Express---->Link state power management
    and turn it off.

    It worked for me, hope it works for you too
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon AMD Graphics Displays