Multiple Monitor Setup AMD 7970

Howsya

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help provide me some help/answers to my situation as it has been making me turn grey and bald for the past few days.

I own an ASUS AMD 7970 Direct CUii and am trying to setup 3 outputs from the card.

Output 1: Monitor used for Games [Samsung 23' @ 120hz]
Output 2: Monitor used as extended desktop for browsing, IRC, etc etc [iiyama 22' @ 60hz]
Output 3: To be run into my AverMedia Live Gamer HD

Setup:
Output 1 [Primary], Output 2 [Extended], Output 3 [Duplicate of 1]

I orginally had issues with getting the 3 outputs working and after some searching i found out about the active adapters for over and above 2 outputs from the gfx card and so bought one accordingly.

Now the issue im having is this:

With only two outputs i can Duplicate them to the 120hz monitor and the AverMedia card and still get my 120hz on said monitor. Brilliant!

However as soon as i attached the third output the duplicated outputs get dropped to 60hz and even after attempting to reset the refresh rate via windows it just will not do it.

My current layout is:

DP w/ Active Adapter to Monitor 1 [120hz]
DP to Monitor 2 [60hz]
Third output is unplugged as i like my 120hz

Am i doing something wrong or can the gfx card only support a native 60hz when running more than two outputs.
Any advice or help on this would be most appricated.

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
Do you have a dual-link DVI cable you can try for the 120hz monitor and then use the active DP on the 2nd monitor then whatever other cable for the 3rd and see if that works?

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Output 1 [Primary], Output 2 [Extended], Output 3 [Duplicate of 1]
Output 1: Monitor used for Games [Samsung 23' @ 120hz]
Output 2: Monitor used as extended desktop for browsing, IRC, etc etc [iiyama 22' @ 60hz]
Output 3: To be run into my AverMedia Live Gamer HD

That's your problem right there. You can't duplicate a 60hz with a 120hz panel, you'd have to take the lower value. I had to look it over for a minute, but almost 100% that'd be your problem. You could probably however just have the 3rd monitor as another extend and be good.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
from amd

How do I set independent refresh rates for clone mode display?
If you are using multiple display devices and want to set an independent refresh rate for the secondary display device, you must enter the display properties, set your desired refresh rate, followed by disabling clone mode and then re-enabling clone mode.

i hope it helps

Howsya

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
trapper:

Yes i have got a Dual-Link DVI. Technically the Active Adapter will only need to be used on the DP output as i can attempt to try both the other outputs via DVI. (Worth a look into though)

Warsaw:

With only two outputs i can Duplicate them to the 120hz monitor and the AverMedia card and still get my 120hz on said monitor.

This works perfectly as stated with only the two monitors. The issue only arises once the third output is put into the equation.

farrenggottu:

Many thanks will try this shortly.

Howsya

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Ok did some playing about with my cable setups and god knows what else. I finally managed to get it working.... sort of.

The MediaCard (Output 3) and Monitor 1 [120] (Output 1) are now duplicated while Monitor 2 (Output 2) is in extended mode.

Only issue i am getting is that i can only have a 100hz on each one. Not the 120 i was hoping for and now im getting a HCDP issue when trying to record using the media card. I swear this is gonna give me a heart attack at this rate!