Sign in with
Your question

ASUS GTX660 Ti Intermittent Display Feed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2013 6:05:33 PM

Hi All,

Always end up finding many threads on here when googling issues. Thought I'd sign up and ask directly as there appears to be no similar case.

Basically had a 660Ti for 2 months, since I can remember, it's needed a couple of cycles of the power button before the thing would boot up with the display actually showing anything. I put it down to a quirk of my system, which is a scan overclocked bundle that has been giving out problems itself. Anyway this got worse, until yesterday where it just will not kick the monitor into life when it boots up. I can hear the PC booting fine (it posts and boots into windows - I hear the windows sound). I've then tested the onboard graphics, which has no issues, and also a really old pci-e card, which didn't work 100% but might just be down to the age of the card. I struggled to take this as definitive proof that the 660 is dead!

I then managed to get the card tested in my brother's PC which has a GTX680 normally, and again the screen will not start up. Then when he put his 680 back in it did the same for a few tries, so again not definitive proof of my card being dead. I tinkered some more in BIOS, and was close to giving up but just thought to make one last ditch effort with the card back in the pc, and lo and behold it worked!

But again today it's not playing ball, and I'm almost dead set on getting the card back to the retailer as faulty, but just wondered if there was anything the knowledgable types could suggest.

The PC:

PSU 750w Thermaltake - plenty of juice for a 660ti no?
i5 overclocked to 4.5 GHz - but for the testing process was tried on standard clock, and ASUS automatic oc

Thanks in advance.
January 17, 2013 6:07:49 PM

I should add, when this does boot and get into windows, not a single problem is encountered. It runs games as expected (BF3 on ultra at 1080p around 50fps) and the ASUS software works and interfaces with the card perfectly. I'm wondering if it's a solder or contact somewhere in the card that makes contact when it's warm but not at cold.
January 18, 2013 8:53:57 AM

So I tinkered with the rig again last night. Pushed it back to a standard clock and disabled the onboard graphics (which always seems to go back to auto again). Suddenly the graphics card was working again!

Just used it for a while, no issues on BF3, then switched it off and came back to it this morning....Dead again.

Does anyone have any thoughts? It has all the power it needs and the plugs required, I guess it must be a hardware problem?
Related resources
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 9:02:41 AM

Hmm, I'm not exactly sure. I would think you would have enough power but you can never speak for the quality of a power supply unit just on the merit that you have enough power (wattage/amps). What is your cooling situation like also while we are at it can you fill out the following. I kind of getting the feeling reading through your situation that I would take 2 guesses. First would be power ripples and a instability with your overclock in which case I would use prime95 to test overclocks, and or secondly the card is defective and or damaged.

CPU:
RAM:
GPU
Motherboard:
CASE:

January 18, 2013 9:16:45 AM

Certainly, thanks for the reply

CPU: I5 2500K
RAM: Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz
GPU: ASUS GTX660Ti 2GB Direct CU II
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LE
CASE: Coolermaster Elite 330U

The Memory, Motherboard and CPU came as a bundle from Scan.co.uk which had been overclocked to 4.5 GHz. I had stability problems with the overclock originally (but with my old graphics card too) and had to update BIOS and get the overclock settings emailed to me again. I found the CPU voltage insufficient and through advice from scan upped this, which caused me no further problems. Then I swapped GPU and this started to happen.

I've tried running 3 different clock settings, basic, ASUS auto and the scan settings. All seem to make no difference.
January 18, 2013 9:18:00 AM

In terms of cooling, the case has a large fan at the back sucking air out, and the CPU has a large heatsink supplied with the overclocked bundle. There have been no issues of overheating in the past, peaks at 50-60 C with full load on the CPU.
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 9:31:46 AM

Oye I built within this case recently actually and I really disliked the experience because it is absolutely horrible for cable management which does get in the way cooling wise not that your case isn't adequately cooled its just a hard case to work with.

I would say perhaps its a warning sign that you did have stability issues before. But you did fix the issue so hmm....

Well I mean you can start to really barrow down and test things out

Overclock Stability and overall system stability: Prime95
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
Memory Stability: Memtest x86
http://www.memtest.org/
Graphic Card Stability: Furmark (Don't run for to long as it can really run up the temps on your card. This benchmark isn't mean to be ran for very long)
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
January 18, 2013 6:01:50 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Oye I built within this case recently actually and I really disliked the experience because it is absolutely horrible for cable management which does get in the way cooling wise not that your case isn't adequately cooled its just a hard case to work with.

I would say perhaps its a warning sign that you did have stability issues before. But you did fix the issue so hmm....

Well I mean you can start to really barrow down and test things out

Overclock Stability and overall system stability: Prime95
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
Memory Stability: Memtest x86
http://www.memtest.org/
Graphic Card Stability: Furmark (Don't run for to long as it can really run up the temps on your card. This benchmark isn't mean to be ran for very long)
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Okay so been on this today, as well as benchmarking I've stripped the whole pc down and reseated everything. Managed to get prime95 and memtest done before this - no errors reported.

After stripping everything down and reseating it (although I've reseated the GPU about 8x over the last few days), the display is working through the 660 again, so managed to furmark it.

Furmark says:
SCORE:1853 points (30 FPS, 60000 ms)
Max GPU Temp: 71°C
Resolution: 1920x1080 (FS) - AA:0 samples
FPS: min:30, max:33, avg:30 - OPTIONS: DynBkg

GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 (10DE-1183)
9.18.13.1070 (12-3-2012) - GL:nvoglv64
GPU core: 1136 MHz, memory: 3004 MHz
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Windows 7 64-bit build 7601 [Service Pack 1]

Completely baffled, tests seem fine? I'm expecting this not to last very long and be back to no display output again....

a c 133 U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 7:03:14 PM

Well you've done quite a few tests if anything when it comes down to it. If it were to happen again I would RMA the card for replacement. There is no reason that you should have as much trouble as you are with the card. No card should take a few power ups to display this isn't some tricky secret wall in super mario 3.
And really the point with furmark wasn't necessarily the benchmark portion but that you didn't notice anything weird going on during the test.
January 19, 2013 8:04:01 AM

Thanks bigshootr8,

As expected had an evening of bf3 without drama, then came to boot it this morning and dead signal again. Currently using onboard graphics.

I'm away from home for a few months which is conveniently where i bought the card, so I will have to find some time to get home to speak with the retailer.

I'll update this when I have progressed.
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 8:08:19 AM

Not a problem yea I would talk to them. Your experience is unacceptable.
May 5, 2013 9:38:16 PM

I have the exact problem,
Did you have any luck after replacing the card?
!