G

A month ago i bought an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ processor and a MSI K7turbo2 mainboard. I use 512 MB SDram PC 133.
Is it better to use DDR ram 256 MB ?

Please tell me so i can probably update my system.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
yes. speed does not rely on how much ram you have, unless a program you are trying to run requires more than what you have. for general use, and for gaming 256 should be plenty. therefore, if you have 512 mb sd133 ram you are only using a small portion. DDR is exactly what it says it is, twice as fast, and unless youre using a program that uses more than 256 mb ram(i highly doubt it) speed is better than size. also, if you can, i would reccommend buying ram that has a CAS latency rating of 2.0, this rating is pretty important and the lower the better. it is a little more expensive, and harder to find, but it's worth it. I have 2 128MB DIMM's of Crucial DDR266 ram with CAS 2.0, got them right here off the toms hardware price grabber, delivered to my door for $102
goodluck!

its not that intel CANT make a good processor, its that they just dont try

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
DDR will deliver more bandwith for the processor to utilize. The speed differance between DDRSDRAM and your SDRSDRAM is Zero. Both PC266 and PC133 run at the same clock speed, 133MHz. The reason that DDR is paster hand has a higher bandwith is the fact that it send two set of instuctions per clock cycle where SDRSDRAM only sends one per clock. So the overall data transfer is faster but it is not due to MHz but due to the signalling difference. SDR sends one data set on the rising edge of the signal wher DDR send data on the rising and falling edges of the signal, hence Double Data Rate.

As for the latency of CAS 3, 2.5, or 2. Most people cannot tell the difference. You are talking about the difference of half to one cycle.(1/133,000 = 0.00000752 seconds) Of course the lower the number of cycles of delay, the faster the overall performance will be.

<b>"Taurelilomea-tumbalemorna Tumbaletaurea Lomeanor" - Treebeard</b> :lol: