Upgrading pre built dell

Dellydisappointed

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hello,
I've owned my xps 8300 for over a year now and thought I was getting an amazing deal when I bought my pc with the i7 processor and 2TB but now that it's time to upgrade graphics card and power supply I've discovered the horrible truth about dell computers -.-

Current psu is 460w measures 5.6" x 3.4" x 5.4" the psu clamps that hold the original power supply in place are giving me the most trouble. After deciding upon the GeForce gtx 650 Ti due to slot issues and spacing on mobo I desperately need to find a suitable upgrade not only in size but power. Minimum req is 400w and I've been advised not to run on anything below 700w

Help please

Hello,
I've owned my xps 8300 for over a year now and thought I was getting an amazing deal when I bought my pc with the i7 processor and 2TB but now that it's time to upgrade graphics card and power supply I've discovered the horrible truth about dell computers -.-

Current psu is 460w measures 5.6" x 3.4" x 5.4" the psu clamps that hold the original power supply in place are giving me the most trouble. After deciding upon the GeForce gtx 650 Ti due to slot issues and spacing on mobo I desperately need to find a suitable upgrade not only in size but power. Minimum req is 400w and I've been advised not to run on anything below 700w

Help please

Someone is giving you bad advice. If in fact you have a 460w psu in that
machine you can run that sys with a 650ti. You need only to check
the label affixed to the psu and insure it has more than 21a on the +12v rail(s),
which it most likely does. Most prebuilt PC PSU's are pretty lousy, but I've
heard Dell's aren't as bad as some others.

Now, if you want to upgrade your PSU anyway, then that's OK. But, your
sys can run fine on a quality 430w unit. 700w unit would be a waste of $$.
If you want xtra headroom then go 500-550w, but understand you don't need to.

Looks like it has onboard processor & not a vid card.

Dellydisappointed

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Someone is giving you bad advice. If in fact you have a 460w psu in that
machine you can run that sys with a 650ti. You need only to check
the label affixed to the psu and insure it has more than 21a on the +12v rail(s),
which it most likely does. Most prebuilt PC PSU's are pretty lousy, but I've
heard Dell's aren't as bad as some others.

Now, if you want to upgrade your PSU anyway, then that's OK. But, your
sys can run fine on a quality 430w unit. 700w unit would be a waste of $$.
If you want xtra headroom then go 500-550w, but understand you don't need to.

Looks like it has onboard processor & not a vid card.

Ok I apologize if this doesn't work cause I've never done this post a pic thing before.....
imagehbr.jpg

I don't know which of these +12V to go by, the A? B? C? Do I add them together?

Ok I apologize if this doesn't work cause I've never done this post a pic thing before.....
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/1820/imagehbr.jpg

I don't know which of these +12V to go by, the A? B? C? Do I add them together?

Yes, add them together, but understand the total avail will be less than the sum(44a),
or if you look to the right, 385max on 12v rails or 32amps, more than enough
to add a 650ti without the need to upgrade the psu.