Sign in with
Your question

Having trouble adding external dual monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2013 7:04:18 PM

Hello,

I have a Lenovo laptop (work issued) that I would like to connect to my home desktop to use dual monitors (I have dual monitors at work, and my job is so much easier). My home pc is an Acer Aspire All-in-one Z5600 desktop that does not have a video port. I read online that I need a USB video card, so I purchased this. This adapter has USB on one end and VGA on the other. I then purchased the VGA cord and plugged one end into my laptop and one end into the adapter. I followed the install instructions (installed onto Acer home pc) and now it's installed. When I try to "extend desktop" from my Lenovo laptop, it won't recognize my Acer home pc. My Acer home pc has Windows 7.

Please help!

Amanda
January 17, 2013 7:10:20 PM

Have you got the latest drivers? Also did you go to display options and try there? I think there is an auto detect
m
l
January 17, 2013 7:24:11 PM

Thank you so much for the quick response! I'm not really sure if I have the latest drivers. I'm sure my work issued laptop does (they know what they're doing haha), but I really don't know if my home computer does. I'm not that savvy on these technical pc issues.
And I did go to the display options. I have intel graphics media control panel on laptop. When I click on multiple displays, it brings up Operating Mode. If I hover over Single Display, two other options will appear after a few seconds, Clone Displays and Extended Desktop. I click on Extended Desktop, and it reverts back to Single Display every time. This tells me that it's not detecting the other monitor.
m
l
!