Bluetooth, Nokia 6230, WinXP... How to connect phone to PC..

Last response: in Brands
Share
July 16, 2005 2:54:25 AM

Greetings!!

With help from this group several months ago, I managed to link my Nokia
6230 with my Win2K PC.
Now, under WinXP, nada, niente, nuffin'..... I have forgotten all your
good advice!! :-( ...assuming it works the same under 2K and XP.

-In what order should I install the Bluetooth software and Nokia PC
suite? Does it matter?
-Do I need to install either? Is WinXP able to deal with the whole
process without any third-party software having to be installed?
-For the phone/PC connection to be established, I'm asked for a phone ID
number or some such. Where do I find that number? Is it the phone serial
number...? What?????
Thanks for your help!

Michel
July 16, 2005 2:54:26 AM

In article <42d8225a$0$12992$7a628cd7@news.club-internet.fr>,
Michel <user@user.net> wrote:
>Now, under WinXP, nada, niente, nuffin'..... I have forgotten all your
>good advice!! :-( ...assuming it works the same under 2K and XP.
>
>-In what order should I install the Bluetooth software and Nokia PC
>suite? Does it matter?

Shouldn't matter.

>-Do I need to install either? Is WinXP able to deal with the whole
>process without any third-party software having to be installed?

If you use good quality Bluetooth hardware, XP should be able to find
and install a driver without any 3rd party software.

>-For the phone/PC connection to be established, I'm asked for a phone ID
>number or some such. Where do I find that number? Is it the phone serial
>number...? What?????

One of the steup screens in the phone allows you to choose an ID.
There should be a similar setup screen in the PC software.
July 16, 2005 3:07:19 AM

C wrote:

Wow, that was quick. Thank you C!! :-)

>>-In what order should I install the Bluetooth software and Nokia PC
>>suite? Does it matter?
>

> Shouldn't matter.

"Shouldn't", but is there a possibility it could???

> If you use good quality Bluetooth hardware, XP should be able to find
> and install a driver without any 3rd party software.

I bought (my phonehouse dealer sold me it) a Sitecom USB dongle. Does it
qualify as quality hardware XP likes?

>>-For the phone/PC connection to be established, I'm asked for a phone ID
>>number or some such. Where do I find that number? Is it the phone serial
>>number...? What?????
>

> One of the steup screens in the phone allows you to choose an ID.
> There should be a similar setup screen in the PC software.

Is that the "Phone name" in the Bluetooth parameters?
Thanks for more of your suggestions C!!!!!
July 16, 2005 3:07:20 AM

In article <42d82561$0$301$7a628cd7@news.club-internet.fr>,
Michel <user@user.net> wrote:
>> Shouldn't matter.
>
>"Shouldn't", but is there a possibility it could???

Microsoft software quality is not great. Anything is possible.

>I bought (my phonehouse dealer sold me it) a Sitecom USB dongle. Does it
>qualify as quality hardware XP likes?

Never heard of it.

>Is that the "Phone name" in the Bluetooth parameters?
>Thanks for more of your suggestions C!!!!!

Try it and see.
!