A Longer Lasting Intel Haswell Gaming Build

ManofDestiny

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
As the title suggests I am planning on building an Intel Haswell gaming desktop. This will be my very first computer build, aside from this build, the closest i have been to building is upgrading my netbook ram. I have also only just joined the forum and so i ask that you forgive anything i do wrong or dont do. And one last point about me i should mention is i have only been into computers and actually researched computers since October of last year and despite all that i have learned, i still will be fuzzy or new to things and will ask for explanation if need be.

Ok so now that my personal info is out of the way onto the build.

I plan to build a gaming PC so that i may experience what i have been missing out on from my Xbox 360. I enjoy gaming but will also be using this for watching movies, web-surfing, and other miscellaneous tasks. I would like to be able to do some multitasking and later on a 2 monitor setup but for starters it will be a simpler gaming build with room to grow.

I plan to have either an intel haswell 4670K(or the 3570K equiv.) or the 4770K(or 3770K equiv.)
I may wait a little to see reviews on the overclocking of the motherboards that will be out but will likely get a MSI M-Power, Gigabyte or ASUS all Z87 unless Z88 will be worth it, however i have found little on Z88 worth noting.
I want the standard 8GB 1600MHz RAM.
As for a GPU i will hold off till this fall for budget purposes and my general lack of games
I am looking into Mushkin for a OS SSD.
A Western Digital HDD for main storage space.
I do not have much of a idea on good power supply manufacturers other that corsair being just about the best if not. Also i plan on doing a higher end card or a price efficient CrossfireX or SLI such as the Nividia GeForce GTX 660Ti combo a lot of guys do.
As for where this will all be housed, I am looking at the Corsair 650D. I chose this case because of it's classy black look, but if have any suggestions that are cheaper i would greatly appreciate it.

I have to mention that i will not be buying or building this until late june or sometime in july when i will have the finacial means, this is meant to be somewhat budget friendly, as well as i want to know if multi-core support looks like it will be relevant in the next few years. This last point will determine my CPU and given the 8-core consoles, multi-threaded programs, games, ect. may become very relevant.

Thank you for reading my long intro and look forward to all of the good advice.

actionjksn

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Building it isn't really hard, if you know how to install windows and configure all the software then you will be fine. There are plenty of detailed tutorials out there with pics or video. Just make sure everything is compatible and has good reviews. Make sure you do not compromise on the power supply. Most power supply reviewers don't even have the equipment to properly test them. I haven't seen any of the PS reviews here but if they do them I'm sure they're good. A couple of the more reputable reviewers for power supply's are Jonny Guru and Gabriel Torres from Hardware Secrets, it's kind of their specialty. And get the right size depending on future potential graphic card setups. 650 watt is a probably minimum and 750 watt would be ideal, there several good manufacturers. if you think you may want two mid range cards eventually. You're better off getting the best single graphics card you can afford, rather than two cheaper ones. Then you still have a good upgrade path. Later on that same card will be much cheaper so you can slap another one in and get a big performance boost on the cheap. Any of those processors will be future proof for a long time before they bottleneck a card or two.

ManofDestiny

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Thanks for the advice, and as you've said I will not try to skip on a good power supply. Also good advice on the graphics cards. One of my biggest concerns though is weather i will actually be able to use all of the potential of the i7 as opposed to the i5. With all of the new 8 core CPU's on the production line for the new consoles and all of the quad core support already I belive that the industry of gaming and just coding/programming is moving to far better multi-threading support. And as i said i just dont have enough of a grasp on this progression to know if i will benefit from it with this PC build or the next.

ManofDestiny

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
ManofDestiny

I have given up on this thread do to lack of peoples interest and therefore found in other threads that the intel i7 haswell will be my choice of CPU due to the fact that multi-threading is finally exceeding 4 cores now( BF3 and Crysis3). I will use primarily for the life that I may expect from it but also the performance.