Sign in with
Your question

Help me network all my things

Last response: in Networking
February 23, 2012 8:15:49 AM

Hello, I have 3tvs, a wireless router, a server, and an old pentium4 pc that could be made into something simple.

Notes:
-budget is a priority
-house is 50 years old, so I imagine the electrical is sub par, this could be a problem with powerline products.
-I have an old unused pc, specs at the bottom.
here is what i would like done...

SECOND FLOOR LIVING ROOM TV:
- needs a new interface, or some sort of substitute for the digital channel guide box that you can get from your cable provider, something google tv capable would be nice. however the controller must be simple, as there will be elderly computer illiterate people using it.
- needs to be networked with my router

SECOND FLOOR KITCHEN TV: something very old
-planning on replacing this tv, would like to be capable of networking new one to my router when I do.

FIRST FLOOR RECROOM TV: Toshiba, also 5-7 years old
- needs to be networked with router
- as you can see this tv is old, so I do not know what on the market is actually compatible with it.

FIRST FLOOR OFFICE SERVER:
- this is where we get internet access to the house. and where the wireless router is located.
- also, i am willing to install anything you can think of.

so ya, tell me what i can buy, or what you recommend i should do to accomplish this in the most efficient manner.

OLD PC SPECS: (cant think of anything to use it for, maybe you can)
- pentium 4
- 750 mb ram
- 60 gig hd
- radeon 9550 graphics(vga and dvi connections)

upstairs living room tv i/o:

downstairs tv i/o:

More about : network things

February 23, 2012 9:33:11 AM

I imagine you don't have any ethernet cabling installed at home!?
If your old TVs are not internet capable so you will need some kind of Media player or STB with ethernet capability, unless you upgrade TVs.
To get your network (via wireless) to the other rooms in the house you will need a wireless bridge. The bridge works like powerline but over Wifi. If you have many devices that need a network connection you may need a wired switch to connect to bridge. A bridge will cost ~100$ switches cost anywhere between $20-$60.
Otherwise you can get wireless appliances (TVs, STBs, media players etc.) and just install an access point on each floor.
Anyway you cut it, if cables are not an option it's not going to be very cheap.
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2012 7:20:46 PM

hang-the-9 said:
None of the TVs you have will be on the network, no ethernet ports. You may be able to use a media server with them though like this one http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-1080p-Media-Playe...

would it be possible to build one of these using my old computer?

i dont think it would be good at streaming media like my actual server is, but i guess we need something to convert the cat5 to something compatible for the tvs

is this possible?

server ------------> oldpc(act as switch and converter) --------------> tvs

also note: the upstairs tv is directly above the downstairs tv, so I can put the server down stairs and my hdmi cables or whatever i need to use will reach through the floor.

ass you can see, i have 4 open expansion slots, so i have room to install things

m
l
a b x TV
February 23, 2012 7:24:58 PM

You can use the video out on the computers to play movies on the TVs, just use a regular media player and use the TV as a monitor. Then you can connect to the server and play whatever from it. But a dedicated box will have a much simpler interface, will have a remote, and the proper connections, use up probably 1/4 the electricity.

Also, depends on the speed of the PC, it may not handle streaming or HD content well.
m
l
February 23, 2012 7:25:06 PM

ngrego said:
I imagine you don't have any ethernet cabling installed at home!?
If your old TVs are not internet capable so you will need some kind of Media player or STB with ethernet capability, unless you upgrade TVs.
To get your network (via wireless) to the other rooms in the house you will need a wireless bridge. The bridge works like powerline but over Wifi. If you have many devices that need a network connection you may need a wired switch to connect to bridge. A bridge will cost ~100$ switches cost anywhere between $20-$60.
Otherwise you can get wireless appliances (TVs, STBs, media players etc.) and just install an access point on each floor.
Anyway you cut it, if cables are not an option it's not going to be very cheap.

i see, yes this confirms what I have been thinking, i think i will be willing to run some cat6, or cat5e, I will go price out some cable, gunna need 55-60 feet.
m
l
February 24, 2012 7:30:35 AM

Cable is always best, and probably cheapest. If you were to buy Wireless devices to get connectivity throughout your home would cost alot and the outcome may not be as good as you expected. Cable on the other hand is dirt cheap and you will be able to do just about anything.
m
l
!