SLI trouble, please help!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • SLI
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
January 18, 2013 12:01:31 AM

I just got my second GTX 670 superclocked 4gig card in from newegg and i hooked it up with the SLI bridge and then the power connectors... when i go to turn on the power, the lights on the fans flicker and then the PC shuts down. i tried different cables, same thing. when i unplug the cables and the card..and just have my other card in it boots up...am i missing something here? I have an 1100 wat PSU here is the link to it on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i dont have anything special going in my PC. just the standard stuff (fans, hardrives, etc. No liquid cooling though)

can someone please help! this really sucks that i cant get it working!

More about : sli trouble

a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 12:08:08 AM

Do you have any other pcie slots to test with? I would try pulling your old card and trying the new card separately and see if its just that card may be bad. that or it could be a bad psu? do you happen to be plugged into a surge protector? That might not be able to run that many watts through it unless its a high end one
Score
January 18, 2013 12:23:10 AM

I tested out the new GPU.. it works perfectly....let me try hooking it up to the wall or a powerstrip... my surge / battery backup says 825AVR.. i dunno what that means... maybe it just doesnt have enough to power it...
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 18, 2013 12:24:33 AM

somone at work told me that PSU's now a days come with a built in surge protector..i told her she was retarded... but i must ask..do they? I would hate to take my PC off of surge protection and it get fried
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 12:29:31 AM

They do but idk if it will help if you get a massive surge. I'm not exactly sure if it works when off etc but I would play it safe and get a surge protector if that's what the problem turns out to be.
Score
January 18, 2013 12:38:06 AM

UGH!! what the crap!!! I can't get it to freakin work!!!!
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 12:49:52 AM

The next step is try another sli bridge , all the pcie power connectors. There's 4 total right? what mobo are you running as well. What driver version? If all else fails I'd have to say its psu related
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 12:52:58 AM

can you get your hands on another quality psu. I`ve never heard of yours.
-Bruce
Score
January 18, 2013 12:53:20 AM

i dont have another sli bridge =/ and yes there are 4 total pcie connectors (2 for each card) the motherboard is Asrock p67 Extreme 4 gen 3, not sure on the driver version (mobo or gpu drivers?) but surely this PSU could run two cards sli.. it even says on the specs of the PSU on the new egg link i posted
Score
January 18, 2013 12:54:12 AM

i dont know if i can or not.... i dont really know of any one with a good one... and i really dont have the money to buy a new one.. they are very pricey.....
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 1:07:46 AM

its the bridge
Score
January 18, 2013 1:09:00 AM

yes and the card runs by itself
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 1:09:32 AM

I would just rma it and hope for the best and try a new brand since its discontinued. you can't really ever judge newegg by the review but by the brand names. Luckily I lucked out with sli on my cheap psu but it does run a tad hot under load. I would contact newegg and see what they can do.

The only reason I don't think its the bridge is I've run by cards by an accident without the bridge and it powers up. before you rma try a clean install of the drivers and hope for the best
Score
January 18, 2013 1:10:37 AM

if i did need another PSU... what would i need to get and how many watts?.... but I would rather solve the problem without getting another PSU since the one I have claims to be 1100 watt and i paid decent money for it...
Score
January 18, 2013 1:13:28 AM

well i have had this PSU for a year or so now.....So I know that it works.....
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 1:14:45 AM

Check out new eggs psu calculator for a good estimate on the size. I'd say close to 1000 but I'm not sure the wattage of the cards etc
Score
January 18, 2013 1:15:16 AM

well i tried just plugging it straight into the wall and it still wouldn't work. So its not the battery backup
Score
January 18, 2013 1:27:59 AM

according to the newegg calc...it recommends 726w
Score