Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell Dimension E520. Help with upgrade

Last response: in Systems
March 7, 2013 9:34:44 PM

Hi,
I just bought a refurbished PC, It came with the Dell Dimension E520 case, the Dell OWG864 Motherboard, 2 gigs of DDR2, The Intel G965 GPU and a Pentium D 820. I was wondering if this case could support any other mobo form factor besides BTX. I was Wondering if this mobo could take DDR3, I was also wondering how to take the stock cpu fan off (it's impossible). Once I get all this info I'll be able to start figuring out how to go about upgrading this machine.
Thanks,
Jerod
a b B Homebuilt system
March 7, 2013 9:37:32 PM

This is really too old to do anything with. You will have to start from scratch. You might be able to reuse the HDD/DVD drive if they are SATA.
m
l
March 7, 2013 9:55:34 PM

I know it's all to old lols but still then can I at least scavenge the case or is the case not ATX? and I still needa know how to take off the fan cause I have several Pentiums which I could swap out as well. I'm broke so I'm doing what I can.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 7, 2013 9:57:57 PM

You have to make sure the CPUs share the same socket, or else you cannot just switch them.

The case is BTX so a regular motherboard will not fit.
m
l
March 7, 2013 9:59:54 PM

There all Socket 775 LGA, and is there anyway I can mod the case so an ATX would fit?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 7, 2013 10:04:40 PM

jerodpaul said:
There all Socket 775 LGA, and is there anyway I can mod the case so an ATX would fit?

No, not really. What do you want to be able to use this computer for?
m
l
March 7, 2013 10:09:27 PM

Well I'm trying to upgrade it to gaming, but I like the design and all of the case and I don't mind putting some work into it to make it fit an ATX mobo cause I can't afford anything right now but my friend is giving me his ATX mobo with a core 2 duo processor so it'll be able to handle minimum reqs on most games.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 7, 2013 10:13:27 PM

There is no chance that you will be able to make it a gaming computer. It would be cheaper to to just re use the HDD and DVD drive and build something else.

The GPU is the most important thing for gaming. You will also need a new PSU.
m
l
March 7, 2013 10:18:44 PM

Damn lols thanks
m
l

Best solution

July 16, 2013 12:29:22 PM

jerodpaul said:
Damn lols thanks

I beg to differ...
I upgraded my e520 with a quad core 2.4 processor , used a different heat sink which I had to drill four holes in the case. Then strapped the heat sink to the proc with bailing wire. I then took a pair of tin snips and sipped a little metal off the back end to fit a EVGA GTX 660. I upgraded the power supply , and installed 8 gigs of ram. Threw in a hybrid sata 1TB drive. I can play all games even from 2013 at the highest settings at 120hz on my 60 inch LED TV.

It took a little bit of work but she purs like a kitten and after a year shes still running strong. I saved a ton of money.

!