15k RPM Cooler (is it needed?)

G

With these IBM 36Z15 hard drives that run 15k RPM, do you need a cooler or not? I heard people say that it's not required but then I read all these articles on the net that say above 7,200 you should have one. I have a Lian Li PC-10 aluminum case and I can get their black aluminum dual fan cooler which is rated for 15k drives.

I was also thinking about getting the DigitalDoc5 to monitor the temps.

Thanks!

G

You are certainly right, it is not REQUIRED, but I would recommend it. I use hdd fans on EVERY drive I have, even the 5400rpm. They are cheap, not loud enough to be annoying, and they extend the life of your drive as well. There is no reason that anyone out there shouldn't have one...

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Yes, 5400 and below dont need coolers at all in most cases but 7200+ do need cooling. I know my 10k IBM drives get almost hot enough to burn me without cooling! I know some of the newer drives, even 15k run alot cooler then the old 10k drives, but they still benefit from cooling =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I am looking into getting a Maxtor D740X FDB. It runs at 7200RPM and I am looking to invest in a HDD fan.

However, I was looking into my case the other night, and the genius who constructed it put the A: smile in-line with the middle of the three 3.5" bays! What a doofus!!! <font color=red>Do you know how much taller the average fan makes the drive?</font color=red>

If the HDD fan is going to make it too tall, I will have to mount the HDD under the 3.5" bays, which someone had posted a how-to a few weeks back. What a headache! (BTW, all three of my 5.25" bays are filled, so that is not an option.)

VSP

<i>Whatever causes your water transportation vessel to maintain proper buoyancy.</i>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
If you are serious about protecting your investment and you have a extra 5 1/4 bay checkout these <A HREF="http://www.dcdrives.com/dataport/" target="_new">Dataports</A> for you HDD. I have a two 10k rpm SCSI HDD's mounted in dataports the provide me all the cooling I need.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Darn you, <b>jc14all</b>! . . . I was satisfied with getting a $15-$25 HDD fan, and now that I saw that page, I want to get the $85 DataPort VI ('course, if it could be used on an IDE drive, the DataPort VIII would be really cool). Argh! Thing is, I don't have the extra $$$ for that, plus, since all of my 5.25" bays are filled, I would have to go out and get a new case just to get it to fit! And I don't even have the $$$ for that!

I will have to hold off on that for a while. I could solve my problem with accomodating for a HDD fan. <font color=red>Does anybody know if it is possible to buy a mid-tower face so that I can move my Zip down into a 3.5" bay?</font color=red> Only one of the three 3.5" bays has external access, and it just happens to be in the middle. If I could put a new face on, save myself from having to buy a new case, then I could move the floppy to the top bay and put a HDD fan on the HDD in the bottom bay. I will save the DataPort for a day when I can afford it.

VSP

<i>Whatever causes your water transportation vessel to maintain proper buoyancy.</i>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Sorry Vulcan, I know they are expensive, but you asked. Personally, I like the convince of removing my HDD's without opening my case for cleaning. Also an nice security feature to keep other people from using your system while you are away. You can have a couple of drives with different OS's to swap out. The big plus is the airflow they provide with quite fans.

Take your time use a different cheaper solution because the dataports will always be available later when you plan to build another system. Hope you find a workaround to get your desired results.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
my IBM SCSI U2W 10000RPM is less hot than my IBM 60GXP ATA100 7200RPM. i dont understand well this but it is.

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.