Sign in with
Your question

What should I do!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2013 1:15:10 AM

Okay so this is my first post on this site so I'm not sure what information you guys need to help me so just ask if you need anything!

My Question: I am buying a new computer and my budget is £2000 now I've been researching Crossfire/SLi and is it really worth it? Currently I am running the following.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD USB3

Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz (4x 2GB)

Hard Drives: 1TB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s

Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA

Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB

Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio

Case: Xigmatek Asgard

PSU: 700W EZCool Tornado
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

At the moment you can see I'm running a single card and I'm not sure whether with my new computer I should get 2 graphics cards or just stick with one. In the future I plan to upgrade to 3 screens and I will continue playing in 1920x1080. I'm a graphic **ore and I love to see games played at their absolute potential and I really hate having any options on, "Medium/Low/Not highest." Along with I don't want the mods I download to make my games drop to 2fps.

Anyway back to the point I'm wondering with my new system would it really be necessary to buy 2 cards (Radeon HD 7970 3GB x2) or just one single really powerful card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB) The price isn't the issue here its more of what issues will I eventually have while having 2 cards instead of one because I've read that some games don't benefit from crossfire and can actually have some issues where they won't play. So would just 1 card be easier? And I don't NEED 3 screens I'd just like 3 I can settle with 1/2.

My possible new system:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.00 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

HDD: 60 GB Corsair Force Series GT SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk

MEMORY: 16GB (4x4GB) PC16000 DDR3/1866mhz Dual Channel Memory

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M5A97 V2 AMD 970 Chipset, ATX mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI ***Overclockable S&S ***

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card x2
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ignore the 60GB SSD I'm putting my old HDD in my new one. So could anyone give me any advice on what to do? If you need anymore information contact me at Callum_boff_ed@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks for reading!

More about : question

a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 1:46:04 AM

Can we assume this is for gaming?

The top end cards can handle 3 screens as long as you have the connections correct.

Plan on the best single card you can afford. It is better all around than a 2-card setup.

Tom's does a best gaming graphics card by price every month http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
January 18, 2013 1:51:26 AM

Yes this is for gaming. So I should pick just a single card setup?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 1:55:18 AM

I would and realize that the series 8000 are due out this spring-summer
a c 171 U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 1:55:32 AM

LOL. Run two "smaller" cards like two 7970s in CF, or one "bigger" card like the GTX680? Wow dude....

My general advice for people with enough money. Get an Intel setup. Get a single powerful card. (7970 or GTX680. Whichever performs better in the games you play.) In your case you can reuse your current RAM, drives, case, etc. If you upgrade to 3 screens you'll need two cards. If you want maxed out details that is.
January 18, 2013 2:00:57 AM

jnkweaver said:
Base on this months Graphic Card lineup, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
Your high end choices are the HD 7970 around $400 or the GeForce GTX 690 at a cool $1000.

The price isn't a concern its more what would be better for running games at max + last me a good few years.
January 18, 2013 2:04:10 AM

4745454b said:
LOL. Run two "smaller" cards like two 7970s in CF, or one "bigger" card like the GTX680? Wow dude....

My general advice for people with enough money. Get an Intel setup. Get a single powerful card. (7970 or GTX680. Whichever performs better in the games you play.) In your case you can reuse your current RAM, drives, case, etc. If you upgrade to 3 screens you'll need two cards. If you want maxed out details that is.

I can't transfer my old computer parts because I'm giving this computer to someone in my family and I am pretty bad at this but I'm not sure which card would perform better on the games I play a list would be:

Dota 2
LoL
WoW
Firefall
Warframe
Borderlands 2
Battlefield 3
Farcry 3
Crysis 1/2/3
Skyrim
Fallout New Vegas

and whats the difference between Intel and AMD atm I'm running AMD and I seem to "trust" them as this computer is pretty damn amazing but its starting to reach its limit with the latest games.

Sorry for being 'noob'. lol
January 18, 2013 2:05:01 AM

jnkweaver said:
I would and realize that the series 8000 are due out this spring-summer

Would it be wise to wait for them to release?
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 2:05:22 AM

Well either one of those would do quite well on games and last a few years. I agree with 4745454b. You need an intel rig especially if money is not the issue.

Work on one at http://pcpartpicker.com/
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 2:07:49 AM

Starmaderp said:
Would it be wise to wait for them to release?

Well prices will fall when they come out and it may be a cheaper alternative to the $1000 card. Only time will tell on that one. It depends on how fast you think you need a new computer.
January 18, 2013 2:09:27 AM

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/

What site I've been using for my computer. And with crossfire 7970 the computer will cost me £1760 out of my £2000 budget where as with 1 it will cost me $1,400

with one 680 it will cost me £1555
January 18, 2013 2:11:00 AM

jnkweaver said:
Well prices will fall when they come out and it may be a cheaper alternative to the $1000 card. Only time will tell on that one. It depends on how fast you think you need a new computer.

Guess I'll wait before I buy a new one then because the prices will probably drop quite a bit meaning I will be able to get more for my money along with I will be able to save up for longer. Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 2:14:08 AM

With the 3 monitor setup you want to stick with the HD Radeon. AMD definitely does that better than NVidia. Don't confuse the graphics card AMD with needing an AMD processor. You definitely want an Intel setup.

Here is Tom's review on the 7970 when it came out Dec 2011. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benc...
January 18, 2013 2:19:14 AM

jnkweaver said:
With the 3 monitor setup you want to stick with the HD Radeon. AMD definitely does that better than NVidia. Don't confuse the graphics card AMD with needing an AMD processor. You definitely want an Intel setup.

Here is Tom's review on the 7970 when it came out Dec 2011. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benc...

I just remade my computer with an Intel only slightly better than the AMD one and it was gona cost me 2000+... :S
a c 171 U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 2:33:54 AM

Odd starderp. You must be the only one.

OP, take a look at BL2, FC3, Crysis, etc. All the other games should be "normal". The 7970 and GTX680 at launch were more or less equal. With AMDs newest driver up date the 7970 tends to win more then it loses now. But in case your favorite game is one where it loses at you should double check the benchmarks. Make sure you DON'T use any launch reviews as they use the older drivers.
January 18, 2013 2:49:35 AM

4745454b said:
Odd starderp. You must be the only one.

OP, take a look at BL2, FC3, Crysis, etc. All the other games should be "normal". The 7970 and GTX680 at launch were more or less equal. With AMDs newest driver up date the 7970 tends to win more then it loses now. But in case your favorite game is one where it loses at you should double check the benchmarks. Make sure you DON'T use any launch reviews as they use the older drivers.

Sorry but where would I check these? XD Oh and I remade the computer turns out they added on 2 3D screens for me by acident the price for the Intel was actually 1560
!