Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Gtx 670 4gb OR gtx 680 2gb?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2013 2:41:26 AM

Essentially the question is simply what it says in the thread title. I'd like to know people's opinions on the 4gb gtx 670 VS the gtx 680 2gb. On Newegg the difference in price between the 2 for me is essentially unimportant (20 bux on a 400+ dollar card lol), so what does everyone think? ^_^
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 2:48:53 AM

There isn't enough of a difference between the 670 and the 680 to warrant the cost for a 680 at the present moment.

Also, I would like to say that you don't really need a 4 gigabyte card yes you have more ram to draw from but more then likely you do not need it. The few situations I can think of that it would come useful would be. You are running a high resolution display and are running 3D. Or you are running multiple resolution displays in nvidia surround.

I honestly would say if you aren't doing 3D you aren't running anything higher then 1080p save your money and get a 2 gigabyte card you will be just fine with it. With the extra money you can buy a SSD, or pocket the extra saved cash what does the rest of your system look like man.

CPU:
RAM:
GPU:
MOTHERBOARD:
PSU:

If you have a store bought computer please provide the following:
Company Name:
Model Number:
PSU: (if you know what it is)
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 2:58:41 AM

The GTX 680 for sure. You won't need that 2gb of ram unless you are doing ultra high resolutions. If so id recommend SLI anyways.
Score
Related resources
January 18, 2013 3:14:21 AM

CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.2 ghz
RAM: 16 gb 1600mhz
GPU: well, that's the question ain't it? ^_^
MOTHERBOARD: MSI z77a gd55
PSU: 750W Antec, plenty big enough for the machine and the card ^_^
also, already running a 256gb sata III ssd for my OS and select programs, and have a terabyte HD for random file storage
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 3:19:06 AM

What resolution are you running? For 1080P 2GB is fine. Above that and I lean more and more to the 4GB as we go up. I recommend a 670 2GB if you are playing at 1080p.
Score
January 18, 2013 3:21:14 AM

oh, I should include this is a multi-monitor setup(one touchscreen, one not, more to come) Aand I'm actually a c++ programmer moving into both microprocessors(well, avr atmega's and arduino's) and occasional gaming framework, so... honestly for me the answer is really "the more powerful, the better" the price difference between the gtx 680 2gb and gtx 670 4gb are negligible enough (30 bux for models I'm looking at on newegg) that cost is not a deterrence
Score
January 18, 2013 3:24:20 AM

@maestro yea, currently running 1080p though that is likely to go up as I keep upgrading the system. For me, with the price of a card (goin for the gtx 670 4gb min price) I would very much like it to last as long as possible(ok, let's not think about shelf-life of the card but rather how long it will be viable for ^_^)
Score
January 18, 2013 3:25:55 AM

holy heck people here respond quick, talk about an awesome experience with the feedback so far ^_^
Score
a c 85 U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 3:29:08 AM

Look at it this way... a 680 is only 5% faster than a 670; that lessens to 3% after overclocking. Is that worth $100 extra? Not at all.

A 4GB card gives NO performance benefit over a 2GB one, unless you're in one of those rare occasions where 2GB isn't enough; it looks like this isn't going to be for multi-screen gaming, so that's not the case. Is it worth it to spend $80 more for no benefit? Again, not at all.

A 2GB 670 is going to be WAY more than powerful enough for you - like we said, there's virtually no difference between it and a 680, and you likely don't even need that much power. If it's gaming you want, both cards max out games with ease, so there's EXTRA no-difference there.

If you really want power and multi-monitor use, get a 7970 (non-GHz ed.)

Otherwise don't bother wasting your money, and get a normal 670; it's perfectly capable of whatever you want.
Score
January 18, 2013 3:48:23 AM

@DarkSable well, I posted before, I actually DO have a multi-screen setup(though I don't believe I mentioned I play lots of game's, usually 2 or more at a time), 2 different monitors, both used for gaming/compiling, and honestly even with my current setup 2 monitors isn't actually even enough itself for the amount of stuff going on (games, test directx/opengl programs, various IDE's). I'm also an Nvidia person (not just because of the upcoming SHIELD but....... doesn't hurt ^_^) so not really wanting a 7970, however, thank you very much for your input =)
Score
January 18, 2013 4:18:06 AM

The 670 2GB would suffice for all the current games out now. No need for the extra 2GB VRAM unless you plan for ultra high resolutions or multi monitor setup. I too have a 2GB 670 and can max out almost all the games. Very happy with the card.
Score
January 18, 2013 4:38:52 AM

er.... well... ok, let's try to make this a bit more clear for people =)
It's already a multi-monitor setup, in fact the 2 monitors now are just the beginning, we're talking about multiple games across multiple monitors along with various IDE's and my own test programs written in DirectX/OpenGL, the amount of power my card needs is...... really really really high, however with my current setup, there are really only 2 cards available that I wish to get, and the price difference between the two is small (30$ at first glance, less once I call on a couple friends), so... price between the two is unimportant.
Ok, I seem to be seeing a trend... people seem to care about cost and assume I'm a rather standard user.
So... let me rephrase my question ^_^
I'd like to know people's opinions on the 4gb gtx 670 VS the gtx 680 2gb. Does the extra 2gb make up any difference in performance to make the gtx 670 4GB MORE powerful than the gtx 680 (we're ignoring price/cost)? The second consideration is longevity, will the 4gb actually work out better for games in the long run? (yes conjecture is allowed, heck it's the point of this =) or will the higher GPU power compared to >it's< ram make the gtx 680 come out on top (in terms of longevity)? I'm a person who will put a MAJOR amount of strain on even current vid cards, so even a small difference between the 2 will be very helpful for my work/education
I do apologize that my original post did not include enough information, now that I know (better) what people want I hope the updated info I posted helps =)
ALSO: for everyone who posted, please look at this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/35123-12-thank-hardwa...
essentially, everyone has been awesome and that link is a post thanking the entirety of Tom's Hardware, from me =)
Score
January 18, 2013 4:59:30 AM

the core difference between the 670 and the 680 is pretty small, and most cases you can further OC a 670 to match/exceed a 680. Take into account that YOU ARE USING MULTIDISPLAY like you said about a thousand times, yeah take the 670 4GB, and OC that bad boy.
Score
January 18, 2013 5:22:34 AM

@TheGhxst this post has been VERY full of information, and therefore I am very grateful =) Though, I have to ask about oc'ing, I tried that (fully admitting I can't OC worth a damn) with my friends gtx 670 (evga ftw edition, factory overclocked), and... honestly couldn't get a better setup (again, FULLY admitting I'm not good at OC'ing, my engineer friend isn't very good at helping me with voltages lol, I'm a c++ person, not an engineer), so WITHOUT Oc'ing, which of the two would be better for my setup? (god I've really included not enough info haven't I.....? damn, I fully apologize, though with all my replies I do think there's enough info ^_^)
"YOU ARE USING MULTIDISPLAY like you said about a thousand times" thank you =)
though.... I am curious, now, if I can OC a gtx 670(yep, I still don't expect to understand it enough to do so lol), theoretically couldn't I OC the gtx 680 as well? So... in your scenario, which would be better, an OC'd gtx 670 4gb, or a gtx 680 2gb? and which would actually (yep you can conjecture, always welcome to me, I love theories [not even being sarcastic, gd internet ruined me enough to include this lol]=) and still wish to know which would have a longer lifetime (excluding shelflife, talking merely about the performance of the card)? I still thinking I'm not including enough info, though with my education/career(well, basics anyway right? =) and comp specs already posted, I can't think of anything else to include to help =/ TheGhxst, your response has been IMMENSELY helpful, I fear it was my own stupidity in not including enough info =/
Score
January 18, 2013 5:28:17 AM

I would still sit with the 4GB 670, the factory OC'd cards are very well done as is. And no you included quite a bit of information, no worries ^^
Score
January 18, 2013 5:40:00 AM

TheGhxst said:
I would still sit with the 4GB 670, the factory OC'd cards are very well done as is. And no you included quite a bit of information, no worries ^^

So.... what I'm reading (and feel free to correct me, I'd rather ask a stupid question, etc lol) is that in your opinion (graciously accepted btw =) the 4gb gtx 670 still trumps the 2gb gtx 680 in terms of (what you have read of my needs, which has been a lot and you appear to have understood entirely =) longevity and overall performance (let me specify, your response was to a multi monitor setup, so as I understand it the 4gb will help to give me a.... [god whats the words... forgive me for ignorance] better performance over my multi-monitor(and growing) setup especially given the fact that I have many things going on at once, so the extra ram: defined as something like...high speed expensive memory.... well, it's a comparison, not what I was taught for ram on a cpu lol, gpu structures still confuse me) will help with my multi-setups and be enough to handle what I need? (given current performance standards which is what I'm comparing to as well) If my understanding is correct, (god I hope so lol), then thank you and that is the info I needed =)

edited: god my sentence structure sucks lol, but I believe you understand anyway ^_^
Score

Best solution

January 18, 2013 6:15:16 AM

Chryos said:
So.... what I'm reading (and feel free to correct me, I'd rather ask a stupid question, etc lol) is that in your opinion (graciously accepted btw =) the 4gb gtx 670 still trumps the 2gb gtx 680 in terms of (what you have read of my needs, which has been a lot and you appear to have understood entirely =) longevity and overall performance (let me specify, your response was to a multi monitor setup, so as I understand it the 4gb will help to give me a.... [god whats the words... forgive me for ignorance] better performance over my multi-monitor(and growing) setup especially given the fact that I have many things going on at once, so the extra ram: defined as something like...high speed expensive memory.... well, it's a comparison, not what I was taught for ram on a cpu lol, gpu structures still confuse me) will help with my multi-setups and be enough to handle what I need? (given current performance standards which is what I'm comparing to as well) If my understanding is correct, (god I hope so lol), then thank you and that is the info I needed =)

edited: god my sentence structure sucks lol, but I believe you understand anyway ^_^

Yeah you definitely don't want to hit a wall when you are trying to use a lot of video RAM. It probably won't happen unless you are using the multimonitor, high res, gaming or heavy applications. But it's better to have more then less. Haha and yes I fully understand what you are trying to convey
January 18, 2013 6:26:22 AM

Best answer selected by Chryos.
Score
January 18, 2013 6:27:58 AM

TheGhxst said:
Yeah you definitely don't want to hit a wall when you are trying to use a lot of video RAM. It probably won't happen unless you are using the multimonitor, high res, gaming or heavy applications. But it's better to have more then less. Haha and yes I fully understand what you are trying to convey

you sir have had that post selected as Best Response(er... answer? maybe... you'll see either way lol), tyvm for your input, I will go ahead with the gtx 670 4gb =) You have been very informative and helpful, so thank you very much =)
Score
!