MotherBoard has power but pc wont turnon

junior123

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Took out my old graphics card to install another, put in the new one and computer will not turn on. Tried putting the old one back in and it still will not start. I tried a different PSU, doesn't work. I took everything apart and did it outside the case and it still does not turn on. Motherboard light is on and GREEN.

davec80

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Is the front panel power switch connected to the right jumpers on the motherboard?

Are BOTH power connections connected to the motherboard?

If you verify the connections are correct to the motherboard (check all three connections)

Then the most likely explanation is a bad power supply. Note that a bad power supply will still supply power to a motherboard when it is in standby mode.

But first try shorting the two power pins on the motherboard (momentarily) to rule out a bad power switch on the case.

junior123

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
The computer was working fine, when I switched my graphics card, it doesn't turn on anymore. It's not the powe supply, I took everything out from the case to see it it'll work and still didn't boot.

avacadobread

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
What davec80 said is spot on, make sure everything is plugged into the right place. Also, and this may sound silly, but make sure you set the power on the PSU to "On". Not being mean or anything, I did the same thing and had no idea what was wrong, until I took a close look and realized I did not actually turn it on.

junior123

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

Yes

Yes

Yes

I tried another PSU, no luck. I also tried shorting the pins and that will not start the computer either.

junior123

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

Yup everything is fine. All I tried to do was swap out the graphics card, when I put the new one in it would not boot. Tried putting the old one in and no luck.

TRENDING THREADS