Sign in with
Your question

The Monitor That Sleeps

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2013 3:38:23 AM

Hello everyone,

I gotta be quick because I don't know when the monitor is going to shut down again. My problem:

The monitor randomly shuts off, reporting lost signal. The computer is still running, but I am unable to "revive" the signal and am forced to reboot

My specs:
Coolermaster 1200W Silent Pro Gold
X2 Windforce GTX 680s
p67 gigabyte motherboard
samsung 1tb harddrive
8 GB of Ripjaw RAM
intel i5 2500k (oc to 4.4 ghz) with corsair watercooling
HAF 932 Case

As you can tell, my case is pretty cold most of the time. The two cards have amazing fans that keep them below 40c under load during intensive games.

Heat is not the problem.

The PSU I recently purchased (today) thinking my old ULTRA 1050W was broken. The monitor problem continued.

PSU is not the problem.

One of the graphics card I purchased recently for Chrismas, so its brand new. I've switched both cards, tried only one card at a time - the problem persisted. Plus, normally GPU problems would cause artifacts - shutting off the monitor isn't a common trait of a malfunctioning graphics card.

GPUs are not the problem.

I took all my sticks of RAM out of the case, and reorganized them.

I plugged the monitor into my PS3 and instantly got signal.

The monitor is not the problem.
-----------------------------------------------------------

At the moment, I have one card in and everything seems to be running fine, for now. Interestingly, after rearranging the SATA cables, I rebooted my computer and saw it downloading SAMSUNG drivers. I don't know what that was all about. But I'm currently 10 minutes in and no monitor trouble. But I am worried it will return.

Any ideas?

More about : monitor sleeps

a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 3:46:01 AM

Probably your hard drive switching off randomly and failing to turn back on.

Go to Power options, then change plan settings on whatever plan you selected, change advanced power options, click hard disk, and change turn off hard disk to never. Might fix your issues, it fixed mine when I couldn't get back display after it went to sleep.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 18, 2013 3:52:20 AM

Just a thought, if it does not return it could be a SLI issue.
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2013 3:54:58 AM

UPDATE:

I turned off the computer after posting this issue, and inserted the second graphics card (the new one I got on Christmas). I set everything up. By the time I rebooted, opened this page, and began reading your response - the screen turned off and lost signal.

I turned off the computer. Removed the "new card" (the HDMI cable is plugged into the old card in the first slot), and rebooted to see this displayed on my desktop:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA80098264E0
BCP2: FFFFF88008462B10
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\011813-19780-01.dmp
C:\Users\Jon Diaz\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-41886-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0...

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

So far, with one card in, things are running fine. What could this mean? A problem with my CPU?
m
l
a c 206 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 18, 2013 4:38:39 AM

start with the simple stuff make sure your mb has all of the bios fixes. make sure with cpu-z your ram speed and timing is set right. use gpu-z to check that both cards are the same..if there the same card but the bios is newer on one card you may have to update the older card. check that the pci slots are read right for bus speed on both cards. boot off of a disk and run memtest.
m
l
!