Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2013 3:46:35 AM

Hello,
I am building a gaming rig for upcoming games and im stuck at the GPU
ethier this card:
Asus NVIDIA gtx 660 (non ti) 2gb DC2.
Or:
Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7870 OC.
i heard that the 7870 is better but have some sort of a crach like a black screen.
wich one should i get for gaming? need answear
ASAP!
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 4:01:13 AM

With latest driver hd 7970 beats gtx 660.but if you want features like physicx,adaptive vsync then go for gtx 660.In real world performance they both are same.get whichever you want as both will maxout any games.My choice would be nvidia gtx 660.
Score

Best solution

January 18, 2013 4:08:42 AM

The 7870 OC will in general dominate the gtx 660 (non ti) so unless you want physX, which in my opinion isn't a big deal, go with the 7870 OC and you will be happy
Related resources
January 18, 2013 5:03:09 AM

actually without any overclocking the 660 is the better choice its slightly cheaper offers some new features and draw less power but some people say that 7870 has a high headroom for overclocking also the 660 could be overclocked but it's a limited one when comparing it to 7870 to sum up if u r not looking forward to overclocking the card then i think u should go for the 660 ,however both cards will give u very good FPS in most of the games so u won't even think about the overclocking.
From my little experience from testing both i could guarantee u there will be no difference when running at stock speed ;) 
Score
January 18, 2013 6:32:03 AM

Sandouby_96 said:
actually without any overclocking the 660 is the better choice its slightly cheaper offers some new features and draw less power but some people say that 7870 has a high headroom for overclocking also the 660 could be overclocked but it's a limited one when comparing it to 7870 to sum up if u r not looking forward to overclocking the card then i think u should go for the 660 ,however both cards will give u very good FPS in most of the games so u won't even think about the overclocking.
From my little experience from testing both i could guarantee u there will be no difference when running at stock speed ;) 

Yes but he is comparing the overclocked 7870 to a stock 660 so I would therefore think the 7870 would be the better choice. I think he'll be happy with either though, they are pretty similar
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 7:16:48 AM

The normal gtx660 is not really slated to go against the 7870. The 7870 is kind of off on its own. You have the gtx660 which is out does the 7850, and then you have the 660Ti which can go against the 7950 which really I believe was slated to go against the 7870 but isn't so its own its own. Which judging by the prices of the 660Ti it would seem more appropriate to maybe invest in that.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=114,113,82&...
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 7:22:34 AM

Those hwcompare.com links get shot down every time you post them because they're not measuring real-world performance. They even admit it themselves:

Quote:
Please note that the above 'benchmarks' are all just theoretical - the results were calculated based on the card's specifications, and real-world performance may (and probably will) vary at least a bit.

Is that your site or something? And why the 6990 comparison?

OP - vote here for GTX660. As people have said, performance is pretty much identical but the GTX660 has better energy efficiency, PhysX and adaptive v-sync (for far better framerates with v-sync when you're below 60). Tested across a load of games here:

http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/...

They conclude 7870 averages 5% faster (which represents the difference between 30fps and 31.5fps) BUT that's with AMD having the advantage of their new drivers, while nVidia cards were tested on older drivers. So actually less than 5%.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 7:25:46 AM

Agreed you look at that benchmark timing its back in November one month prior to Nvidia's newest 310.90 WHQL driver.

And Sam does it seem logical to skip the 7870 given the price and the cards around it it feels like you would either get the 660Ti or make the jump for a 7950 or 670 based on pricing.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 7:39:14 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Agreed you look at that benchmark timing its back in November one month prior to Nvidia's newest 310.90 WHQL driver.

And Sam does it seem logical to skip the 7870 given the price and the cards around it it feels like you would either get the 660Ti or make the jump for a 7950 or 670 based on pricing.

Haha well I'd always be inclined to say that! ;-) Certainly if budget has some flexbility, I think GTX670 is the best thing you could buy. That's what I'd buy if I was buying now, but I'm gonna wait a few months for the new models :-)
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 7:47:44 AM

Yea I really hope nvidia puts out a strong showing I really dislike the hostility I normally hear from those who are always cheering for AMD product both are viable I just really dislike it. There is a lot of bias on both ends but man a lot more I feel lately from the AMD side.
Score
January 18, 2013 8:40:54 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Those hwcompare.com links get shot down every time you post them because they're not measuring real-world performance. They even admit it themselves:

Quote:
Please note that the above 'benchmarks' are all just theoretical - the results were calculated based on the card's specifications, and real-world performance may (and probably will) vary at least a bit.

Is that your site or something? And why the 6990 comparison?

OP - vote here for GTX660. As people have said, performance is pretty much identical but the GTX660 has better energy efficiency, PhysX and adaptive v-sync (for far better framerates with v-sync when you're below 60). Tested across a load of games here:

http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/...

They conclude 7870 averages 5% faster (which represents the difference between 30fps and 31.5fps) BUT that's with AMD having the advantage of their new drivers, while nVidia cards were tested on older drivers. So actually less than 5%.

Hay cool man the 6990 is faster then other 2 cards so I'm put that link .
the forms is for good advice from anyone registered from tomshardware . u said just vote for Nvidia no way from me (I think u r a Nvidia fan or Nvidia dealer to convince all customers) .
hwcompare is like tomshardware to help peoples to buy good cards.
hwcompare said in all pages about comparisons it's not real world performance ,so no need to said again from u r side ok be cool man.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 8:51:43 AM

As that may be probably also guzzles down a ton of power as well. Almost 500 watts just off the card out of the wall think on that for a second :ouch: 

Quote:
Power Consumption Results: The AMD Radeon HD 6990 is pulling 499 Watts at the wall. At first glance that seems excessive. If we compare it to what the pair of AMD Radeon HD 6970's is pulling, it will make us feel a little better. Under full load with Furmark 1.8.2 the of AMD Radeon HD 6990 draws nearly 100 Watt's less than the pair of AMD Radeon 6970's and the pair of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580's in SLI. Idle numbers for the AMD Radeon HD 6990 and the pair of AMD 6970's in CrossfireX are both sitting pretty at 132 Watts at the wall which is only 21 Watts more than a single AMD Radeon HD 6970.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1566/13/
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 8:59:34 AM

I'm certainly not saying don't post comparison links, just try to stick to useful comparison links. Tech Spot for example did a huge roundup a couple of months back when Catalyst 12.11 was released. That's a useful link. And I am an nVidia fan, though I wouldn't say fanboy. My posts are always backed up by links and reasoned arguments. Also, I'm using a 1GB Radeon 4870 at the moment.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 9:01:47 AM

And +1 bigshootr - 6990 is nasty :-D Brute force performance, but you may aswell leave a vacuum cleaner on next to your desk. I had a 5970 and it really put me off those dual-GPU monster cards.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 9:06:58 AM

or more like a vacuum right next to the holes in your wallet while you look at the power bill of such a card ha :)  The newer cards have better tech within them to support the newer games horsepower aside from previous generations. Also, when you are comparing the price for a 7870 you can get a 660Ti for around the same ballpark.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 9:13:56 AM

bigshootr8 said:
or more like a vacuum right next to the holes in your wallet while you look at the power bill of such a card ha :)  The newer cards have better tech within them to support the newer games horsepower aside from previous generations. Also, when you are comparing the price for a 7870 you can get a 660Ti for around the same ballpark.

LOL! Well-said! When I first saw the price of the 5970 I was blown away, but that and the 6990 were a bargain compared to the GTX690. I managed to justify the purchase to myself in that it was comparable to two 5850s in Crossfire, and only slightly more than double the price. That was a really, really stupid decision. But we live and learn I guess :-)
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 9:15:45 AM

live and learn man! agreed +1
Score
January 18, 2013 9:18:40 AM

kindly confirm the price in which you are getting a Gtx 660 or HD 7870.

Also a new 7870 LE is available in the market which 7950 with 256 bit & $ 20 extra from 7870
Score
January 18, 2013 9:26:08 AM

As of January 17, 2013, Tom's Hardware recommends the 7870 as a better buy for the price over the 660 (non-ti).

Best PCIe Card: $185 To $280
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 9:37:47 AM

Over the 660 (Non-TI) yes. Which would lead me to perhaps look at the LE version of the 7870 as its a gimped version of the 7950.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 9:50:48 AM

I was gonna point that out before actually - Tom's value roundups are based on US dollar prices. In other countries, their recommendations are likely irrelevant. I'm in the sunny Southeast of England and Tom's actually do a UK-specific edition (kind of) with GBP prices.

But their prices are totally wrong. They seem to get all their prices from Amazon, so have been saying for months for example that the GTX670 is 310 when it's actually been available at 270. And that's actually a UK edition of the roundup! So for countries like India for example who don't even have that, it's really no use. You can't make value-based recommendations without knowing the actual prices.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 9:57:48 AM

Right its not a very overly in depth look at pricing all over I agree. Pcpartpicker does a great job of that.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 10:04:37 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Right its not a very overly in depth look at pricing all over I agree. Pcpartpicker does a great job of that.

Yeah it's a good site! I'd always still shop around for the best prices to be sure though - I've seen PCPP miss a good deal on occasion. Not sure how often they re-crawl the retailer sites (we have 5 or 6 main retailers here so always worth shopping around). Anyway if OP is American then you'll know the relative value of this stuff, but we'll need them to specify first :-) You could go by time zone (it's mid day here) but I know some of the American members are awake 24/7 so it wouldn't really work (looking at you bigshootr ;-)).
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 10:08:32 AM

Hey! I have a awful time sleeping man its what 4 a.m. here lately when I get stuck on the forums it feels like I go to bed around this time.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 10:18:24 AM

I know how you feel - insomnia really sucks. I've had it for as long as I can remember. I think I maybe have a solution (for me at least) - don't get too much sleep. Sounds crazy but if I get 8 hours then I won't be able to sleep the following night. If I aim for 6-7 each night (and go to bed at roughly the same time), I don't have a problem. May be worth a try.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 10:22:33 AM

Yea I ought to give it a try I'll tell you though sorry for going off topic on this thread. I feel like when i get home after 5 I'm tired and then I sometimes take a nap for a couple of hours and that really offsets things. So maybe trying to get in the habit of going to bed around 1-2 in the morning would probably be a good way to start and then just trying to discipline myself into waking up earlier and not oversleeping. Sleep cycles are a crazy thing I would think that hour or two you cut out probably were around a different cycle. Anyway thanks for looking out :) 
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 10:36:11 AM

Hope you fix it mate :-) I really can sympathise. And routine/consistency really is the way to go. Like jetlag - when I visit the States (only place I go with a significantly different time zone) I'll always wait until actual night time (in American time) before sleeping or I know I'll screw up my sleep pattern for the whole holiday. Anyway my R-Pi has finally finished downloading Openarena (open-source Quake 3 running on ARM!) so I'm gonna go and see what it can do ;-) The CPU is ARM11 so I'm actually waiting for it to catch up with my typing on these posts (sooooo slow). But the GPU is nuts - equivalent to the original Xbox in graphics processing muscle. Totally uneven so will be interesting to see what it does in a game :-)
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 10:38:28 AM

Nice I haven't looked to much into ARM processors other than I know tablets use them. And thanks I'm going to answer a couple more threads then sleep :) 
Score
January 18, 2013 10:41:26 AM

I just got that exact Sapphire 7870 OC.

In terms of the crashing issues, I believe it's a heat problem. I fidgeted with the fan profile so that it really ramped up when I hit 75 Celsius, and I haven't crashed since.

Additionally, the OC version gets an additional 50Mhz, no big deal, but there's still a lot of headroom for more overclocking.

I have no commentary on the GTX660, but I thought you might like to know what to expect
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 10:45:47 AM

ARGH it dropped the connection at 99%. I hate Linux sometimes. But mostly I don't :-)

Your phone has an ARM processor too, and probably your TV too! Infact if you had a Samsung SSD, those use ARM processors as controllers too. Intel have just entered that market (and they've done really well - outperform dual-core ARMs using just a single core with HT!) but only a couple of Motorolas and some SE Asian brand phones using them so far. Pretty expensive.

Anyway I'm gonna get back on my PC for the luxury of a system that moves faster than I do :-) Hope you sleep well!
Score
January 27, 2013 10:03:54 AM

Best answer selected by feras.
Score
!