Multi Displays

Hi,

What is the minimum required of a graphic card to support 3 or more displays ?
Application mainly on trading software and sometimes hd movie, games. I have yet venture into BF types of games.

I was advised to get a card with more than 1GB of memory, should I take note of the maximum resolution of the 3 displays when choosing a card ? If so, where the info is available ?

Is GT640 2GB DDR3 able to meet most requirements ? if not, would it be better to get another GT640 or just one HD7850/7870 2GB DDR5 ?


I would prefer Nvidia because of the support on Hackintosh, however, I came across that 7xxx series are also being released in 10.8.3

Anyone has an experience to share ?

thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about multi displays
  1. there two ways of running more then two monitors today. one is using the onboard ipgpu on the intel/amd chips. you wont be able to game on them..but there good for web games. or buy two cheap cards to run 3-4 monitors off of the dvi ports. or pick up a higher end 660 card that lets you use two dvi and the hdmi ports. the other side is using a ati card and use there display ports for muilt monitors set up.
  2. fode said:
    Hi,

    What is the minimum required of a graphic card to support 3 or more displays ?
    Application mainly on trading software and sometimes hd movie, games. I have yet venture into BF types of games.

    I was advised to get a card with more than 1GB of memory, should I take note of the maximum resolution of the 3 displays when choosing a card ? If so, where the info is available ?

    Is GT640 2GB DDR3 able to meet most requirements ? if not, would it be better to get another GT640 or just one HD7850/7870 2GB DDR5 ?


    I would prefer Nvidia because of the support on Hackintosh, however, I came across that 7xxx series are also being released in 10.8.3

    Anyone has an experience to share ?

    thanks


    The 650 Ti I would say would suit you fine, and yes resolution does matter. The higher the resolution the more memory each monitor is going to take up. If your planning on going into the higher end games then pick up a 660. So heres the link to them both.

    650 Ti:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130838

    660:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130826

    Youll get a lot more for the extra $ with the 660. So if you wanna spend the extra money on it I would say to do it, if not then thats fine.
  3. Is the 650 and 660 the cheapest solution ? I read the GT640 spec said it can support up to 4 monitors but without details, e.g. the max resolution of 3 monitors 5760x1080. Anyone has this card running with 3 or 4 monitors ?
  4. I would say that your best value for if you were just looking for multi monitoring really with gaming not in perspective that it would make logical sense now to have perhaps some monitors on a graphics card and some on the onboard graphics if using more displays is what you are after. And you could also look towards the 7770 as well as a option with the 650.
  5. bigshootr8 said:
    I would say that your best value for if you were just looking for multi monitoring really with gaming not in perspective that it would make logical sense now to have perhaps some monitors on a graphics card and some on the onboard graphics if using more displays is what you are after. And you could also look towards the 7770 as well as a option with the 650.


    This is new to me, the shop told me that once I add PCIE graphic card, the on board graphic will be disable ? My mobo is GA-Z77X-D3H.

    I am not into gaming, but with 3 displays, it is very tempted to try some eyefinity/nvidia surround effect :D soon.
  6. Well you can have your onboard turned on still I would say couldn't you?

  7. bigshootr8 said:
    Well you can have your onboard turned on still I would say couldn't you?








    Thank you. I'll try once I have decided on the GPU. But the driver will be different from the IGPU which is Intel.
  8. I run two LCDs off of a 570GTX (only supports two) and one on my 3770k IGP. Works great. No driver issues or anything of that sort. Just make sure your main monitor is connected to the graphics card, especially if you game.
  9. ^yes I would not want to run into a WTF moment when you run a game on integrated :P
  10. maestro0428 said:
    I run two LCDs off of a 570GTX (only supports two) and one on my 3770k IGP. Works great. No driver issues or anything of that sort. Just make sure your main monitor is connected to the graphics card, especially if you game.


    My board is GA-Z77X-D3H, I have change the BIOS "Initial Display" to IGPX (on board GPU) from Auto (which the PCIE monitor will display), and I only have the monitor display from the IGPU, the monitor that connect to the PCIE graphic card (HD7870) is not showing anything and in power save mode :o

    How is your bios config or anything else to make both IGPU and PCIE GPU works concurrently ? Is the PCIE monitor works after windows has started or all 3 monitors will display at the same time during boot up ? I ask because I am currently experimenting ESXi and need to find out if this is due to ESXi or the BIOS.

    BTW, if you use IGPU as your primary display, how could you not playing game on this main monitor ?

    tks
  11. on my sabertooth asus i have my 550ti set as the main video card in the bios. but i also have the onboard video chipset on. this makes my gaming card monitor one in windows (main). my other two monitors one is one the gpu card the other on the intel mb hdmi port. my web and word are on that monitor. for you your mb setting you want the gpu as main video.
    Internal Graphics
    Enables or disables the onboard graphics function. enables
    && Internal Graphics Memory Size
    Allows you to set the onboard graphics memory size. Options are: 32M~1024M. (Default: 64M) if you find it sluggish give it more.
    && DVMT Total Memory Size
    Allows you to allocate the DVMT memory size of the onboard graphics. Options are: 128M, 256M, MAX. set it to 256.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Support Displays Graphics Product