Sign in with
Your question

How to install a shared wired connection? Need help

Last response: in Networking
February 23, 2012 4:52:52 PM

My modem is downstairs and I need a wired connection upstairs on a different computer. How do I go about this? I have no idea what I am doing, I have a wireless router that I work through but its awful for gaming and my cable company wants to charge me insane fees for installing a second dedicated line upstairs so my only option is to share the modem downstairs. I thought I just plug the cat6 cable into one of the many open ports on the wireless router and run that line upstairs into my ethernet port.

If that is how I do it, my pc doesn't detect anything. Help is appreciated, not a clue what I am doing.
February 23, 2012 7:02:08 PM

Swbf2cheater said:
I thought I just plug the cat6 cable into one of the many open ports on the wireless router and run that line upstairs into my ethernet port.

That is exactly as easy as it should be. What operating system are you running, and what type of PC?
m
l
February 24, 2012 5:09:24 AM

its a 32bit windows 7, i7, 12gb, x58 mother board gaming desktop.

but I just found out that my desktop doesnt have an nic card and no controller for wired ethernet, just a wireless option. Sigh. I checked Device manager and only the wireless controller was listed, nothing else. I guess that means I have to buy something else ? lol

m
l
February 24, 2012 7:05:22 PM

You can buy an inexpensive USB NIC to provide an Ethernet port.
m
l
Related resources
!