Sign in with
Your question

Graphic Card for 1440p

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2013 1:45:25 PM

Hello fellow techies,

I just recently upgraded my monitor to the 27 Auria 1440p monitor, and my graphics card is definitely not up to par for the resolution. Getting around 20-40 FPS in Gw2.

What should be the minimum Vram I should be looking for? 3Gb? 4Gb?

What does everyone recommend? OR most importantly, do I want for the next series of cards?

Thanks

More about : graphic card 1440p

January 18, 2013 1:52:26 PM

7970/7970 GHz edition is the best 1440p card if you want to buy now, but if you can stomach 20-40fps for a while obviously the next series of cards will perform better.
a c 178 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 18, 2013 1:52:55 PM

I would suggest hd 7970 or gtx 670.it will easily handle games at that resolution.you should need minimum 2gb gpu.
Related resources
January 18, 2013 2:04:46 PM

Do you think the performance on the new cards will be a substantial change?

Also, I have a dilemma with AMD cards, they just seem cheap to me? Is that wrong to feel? It just seems that the Geforce cards are more reliable, esp with the cuda cores.... Please feel free to school me on the subject :D 
January 18, 2013 2:05:30 PM

For your reference:
January 18, 2013 2:07:42 PM

I would agree that reference AMD cards feel "cheap"... but there are some really nice custom designs from Sapphire/XFX/MSI/ASUS/Powercolor available. As you see above they're sort of unquestionably the best performing cards at 1440p resolution.

No idea how much performance increase the next series will bring - all anyone can do is guess right now. Probably between 10-30%.

If you want to stick with Nvidia you should definitely wait for next gen... their 6xx series cards aren't a great value for 1440p IMO.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 18, 2013 2:23:40 PM

Well i have the GTX 680 and i play at 6040x1200 and i can run GW2 max settings EVERYTHING turned up all the way (including AA, Still only uses a max of 1600 MB of vram) and I get 50-60 fps. Some situations such as the WvW pvp my FPS will drop to 35-45 fps but that is due to CPU issues with large amounts of people on screen. That being said if you want to go with nvidia you will have no issues at that resolution. I would suggest if you can stand to turn down your settings some to get higher FPS with your current card to do that and wait till next gen cards... They are only a few months away.
January 18, 2013 2:32:03 PM

So stay in 1440p but just turn down the settings? I noticed it still looked good, but I just am a little obsessive about having high resolution and highest settings... I guess I just need to swallow my pride and turn the settings down.

I'm not going to lie, I don't want to play 1080p on my monitor, the colors are kinda washy, and the 1440p looks amazing. That's the only reason I want to keep it at 1440..
January 18, 2013 2:33:13 PM

If you can, I'd say just turn down some settings and then pick up a high end HD 8xxx / GTX 7xx card in a few months.
January 18, 2013 2:33:26 PM

Also, Derza I had huge issues with my Corsair 120 GB Force 3 SSD... Are you having any? Computer freezing, applications freezing, etc. Sometimes the computer wouldn't load windows either. Just curious
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 18, 2013 2:33:45 PM

Yea try just turnning supersampeling off, and maybe turn shadows down you might be able to leave other settings max.

can't remember the exact options GW2 gives off the top of my head, I am at work and not at home atm. I'll look for a picture of the options online and tell you what you should try to move down.
January 18, 2013 2:35:45 PM

Thanks for everyones help, It's much appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 18, 2013 2:39:45 PM

techbaddie said:
Also, Derza I had huge issues with my Corsair 120 GB Force 3 SSD... Are you having any? Computer freezing, applications freezing, etc. Sometimes the computer wouldn't load windows either. Just curious

I had only one issue with it when i first got it... At that time the SSD's had a problem with sleep mode... my computer went into sleep mode and well... the SSD never woke back up lol... I had to RMA it, they gave me a new one, I turned sleep mode off. Have had no issue for over a year now.
January 18, 2013 2:45:57 PM

Dude, when I went to unplug mine because I was switching SSD's the little L shape plastic piece that connected the SATA cable crumbled im my hands.... I was like WTF!! I emailed them, and they said to send them pics of the SSD, but I doubt it will be covered under warranty... What you think?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 18, 2013 2:51:27 PM

techbaddie said:
Dude, when I went to unplug mine because I was switching SSD's the little L shape plastic piece that connected the SATA cable crumbled im my hands.... I was like WTF!! I emailed them, and they said to send them pics of the SSD, but I doubt it will be covered under warranty... What you think?

Wouldn't hurt to send them the pictures and try... I have not had any issues with that at all myself... But my RMA was very easy with no hassle at all.
!