Machine Lockup

MN-720 (Wireless kit) connected to a NEC Versa laptop.
Replaced a D-Link Broadband router, Linksys 802.11b AP,
and Linksys 802.11b PCMCIA with supplied MN-700 router/AP,
MN-720 PCMCIA. Running static IPs on both the wired and
wireless sides. 'Excellent' connection, 54G Performance,
Channel 11.

Wired side: no issues.
Wireless side: Internet connection, LAN connection to
other machines, no issue.

Issue:
While transferring a file between wired/wireless machines,
notebook locks up. No mouse, no keyboard, nothing.
Requires a hard reset. Approx. 30 MB of a file will
transfer before the lockup occurs.

I've spent the better part of the day on it, and now I
have determined that it is worth an extra $50 to buy
something else. I suggest that anyone considering buying
the 'kit' reconsider.

I've tried 4 channels, mixed b compatible, position of
laptop/base unit, security changes, etc. Going back to
the 802.11b PCMCIA allows files to transfer without lockup.

Conclusion: driver for the g Card not suppoting my
laptop.

Outcome: guess
-Alan
3 answers Last reply
More about machine lockup

    Are you sure the Linksys PCMCIA card drivers have been completely removed?

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Alan Rand" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > MN-720 (Wireless kit) connected to a NEC Versa laptop.
    > Replaced a D-Link Broadband router, Linksys 802.11b AP,
    > and Linksys 802.11b PCMCIA with supplied MN-700 router/AP,
    > MN-720 PCMCIA. Running static IPs on both the wired and
    > wireless sides. 'Excellent' connection, 54G Performance,
    > Channel 11.
    >
    > Wired side: no issues.
    > Wireless side: Internet connection, LAN connection to
    > other machines, no issue.
    >
    > Issue:
    > While transferring a file between wired/wireless machines,
    > notebook locks up. No mouse, no keyboard, nothing.
    > Requires a hard reset. Approx. 30 MB of a file will
    > transfer before the lockup occurs.
    >
    > I've spent the better part of the day on it, and now I
    > have determined that it is worth an extra $50 to buy
    > something else. I suggest that anyone considering buying
    > the 'kit' reconsider.
    >
    > I've tried 4 channels, mixed b compatible, position of
    > laptop/base unit, security changes, etc. Going back to
    > the 802.11b PCMCIA allows files to transfer without lockup.
    >
    > Conclusion: driver for the g Card not suppoting my
    > laptop.
    >
    > Outcome: guess
    > -Alan

    Yes, all prism*.sys & prism*.inf files removed. Re-
    inserting the linksys card requests drivers in the New
    Hardware Wizard. Automatic discovery returns nothing
    without an external source of drivers.

    I have tried completely removing & reinstalling drivers
    for both the linksys & MN-720. Same behavior. Lockup
    during high bandwidth operations with the MN-720.

    -Alan Rand

    Having the same issues here, newly formatted and installed machine...never
    has had a driver loaded for anything except Toshiba's and the 56K modem
    (which works). I had to change it to CardBus mode in the BIOS though.

    The NIC seems to lock up the system at random intervals, sometimes I can
    get part way through downloading some updates, other times I can't get
    through recognizing the network.

    The accompanying software configuration utility always causes the system
    to lock up during config of card...nothing on the usually helpfull
    http://support.microsoft.com site!

    Glad to hear I'm not the only one, hope this helps to confirm you're not
    either.

    Cheers.

Routers Wireless Networking