Machine Lockup

MN-720 (Wireless kit) connected to a NEC Versa laptop.
Replaced a D-Link Broadband router, Linksys 802.11b AP,
and Linksys 802.11b PCMCIA with supplied MN-700 router/AP,
MN-720 PCMCIA. Running static IPs on both the wired and
wireless sides. 'Excellent' connection, 54G Performance,
Channel 11.

Wired side: no issues.
Wireless side: Internet connection, LAN connection to
other machines, no issue.

Issue:
While transferring a file between wired/wireless machines,
notebook locks up. No mouse, no keyboard, nothing.
Requires a hard reset. Approx. 30 MB of a file will
transfer before the lockup occurs.

I've spent the better part of the day on it, and now I
have determined that it is worth an extra $50 to buy
something else. I suggest that anyone considering buying
the 'kit' reconsider.

I've tried 4 channels, mixed b compatible, position of
laptop/base unit, security changes, etc. Going back to
the 802.11b PCMCIA allows files to transfer without lockup.

Conclusion: driver for the g Card not suppoting my
laptop.

Outcome: guess
-Alan

Are you sure the Linksys PCMCIA card drivers have been completely removed?

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Alan Rand" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MN-720 (Wireless kit) connected to a NEC Versa laptop.
> Replaced a D-Link Broadband router, Linksys 802.11b AP,
> and Linksys 802.11b PCMCIA with supplied MN-700 router/AP,
> MN-720 PCMCIA. Running static IPs on both the wired and
> wireless sides. 'Excellent' connection, 54G Performance,
> Channel 11.
>
> Wired side: no issues.
> Wireless side: Internet connection, LAN connection to
> other machines, no issue.
>
> Issue:
> While transferring a file between wired/wireless machines,
> notebook locks up. No mouse, no keyboard, nothing.
> Requires a hard reset. Approx. 30 MB of a file will
> transfer before the lockup occurs.
>
> I've spent the better part of the day on it, and now I
> have determined that it is worth an extra $50 to buy
> something else. I suggest that anyone considering buying
> the 'kit' reconsider.
>
> I've tried 4 channels, mixed b compatible, position of
> laptop/base unit, security changes, etc. Going back to
> the 802.11b PCMCIA allows files to transfer without lockup.
>
> Conclusion: driver for the g Card not suppoting my
> laptop.
>
> Outcome: guess
> -Alan

Yes, all prism*.sys & prism*.inf files removed. Re-
inserting the linksys card requests drivers in the New
Hardware Wizard. Automatic discovery returns nothing
without an external source of drivers.

I have tried completely removing & reinstalling drivers
for both the linksys & MN-720. Same behavior. Lockup
during high bandwidth operations with the MN-720.

-Alan Rand

Having the same issues here, newly formatted and installed machine...never
has had a driver loaded for anything except Toshiba's and the 56K modem
(which works). I had to change it to CardBus mode in the BIOS though.

The NIC seems to lock up the system at random intervals, sometimes I can
get part way through downloading some updates, other times I can't get
through recognizing the network.

The accompanying software configuration utility always causes the system
to lock up during config of card...nothing on the usually helpfull
http://support.microsoft.com site!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one, hope this helps to confirm you're not
either.

Cheers.