Sign in with
Your question

Monitor turns black and goes to sleep while gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2013 2:10:29 PM

Hey folks. I bought a new Computer in December, and while it runs really well I have been have trouble lately with my monitor/graphics card. When I am playing some games (BF3 and Borderlands 2) the monitor will randomly go black and display that the monitor is going to sleep. This never happens when I am browsing the internet, or when I am playing less demanding games like Minecraft or Counter Strike..This has led me to believe that it has something to do with my graphics card because it is happening with more visually demanding games. I wouldn't think I would be having problems already given how new the computer is. If people have any ideas what I can do to solve this, i would greatly appreciate it.

Here are my specs:

HP ENVY h8-1420t Desktop PC
• Windows 8 64
• 3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 quad-core processor [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
• 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
• 1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
• No secondary hard drive
• 1GB AMD Radeon HD 7670 [DVI, DP, HDMI, VGA adapter]
• 460W Power supply
• SuperMulti DVD Burner
• Premium Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth(R)(1x1)
• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB 2.0 (front), 2 USB 3.0 (top)

Monitor:

HP W2371d 23-inch Diagonal LED Backlit Monitor

If it is a faulty video card or monitor, hopefully HP will be able to replace it.

Thank you very much for the help.

Cheers.
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 2:45:02 PM

Have you tried disabling turn off display function under Control Panel/Power Options/ Edit Plan Settings ?
January 18, 2013 5:05:29 PM

Yes. It did not fix the issue.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 5:20:39 PM

Hi,

Since it only shutdown on games im suspecting a defective gpu (or bad drivers) or power supply might be weak

Quote:
460W Power supply

what is the brand, 460 w might not cut it for your rig

Monitor your temperatures while gaming.
January 18, 2013 5:29:28 PM

I am not sure what the brand is, just what came with the build. But I will try to moniotr the temperatures. Thanks!
January 18, 2013 5:45:32 PM

I suspect that the setting you are looking for is in your BIOS and not something that can be addressed from withing your OS. Boot to you BIOS and see if there is a setting that will disable your monitor going to sleep.

While this is a workaround, it is not the best solution (replace monitor or GPU).

migrax
January 26, 2013 5:04:14 PM

Did you ever resolve your issue?
!