Hey folks. I bought a new Computer in December, and while it runs really well I have been have trouble lately with my monitor/graphics card. When I am playing some games (BF3 and Borderlands 2) the monitor will randomly go black and display that the monitor is going to sleep. This never happens when I am browsing the internet, or when I am playing less demanding games like Minecraft or Counter Strike..This has led me to believe that it has something to do with my graphics card because it is happening with more visually demanding games. I wouldn't think I would be having problems already given how new the computer is. If people have any ideas what I can do to solve this, i would greatly appreciate it.
Here are my specs:
HP ENVY h8-1420t Desktop PC
• Windows 8 64
• 3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 quad-core processor [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
• 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
• 1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
• No secondary hard drive
• 1GB AMD Radeon HD 7670 [DVI, DP, HDMI, VGA adapter]
• 460W Power supply
• SuperMulti DVD Burner
• Premium Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth(R)(1x1)
• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB 2.0 (front), 2 USB 3.0 (top)
HP W2371d 23-inch Diagonal LED Backlit Monitor
If it is a faulty video card or monitor, hopefully HP will be able to replace it.
I suspect that the setting you are looking for is in your BIOS and not something that can be addressed from withing your OS. Boot to you BIOS and see if there is a setting that will disable your monitor going to sleep.
While this is a workaround, it is not the best solution (replace monitor or GPU).