Windows 7 crashes/reboots during Install

zoenphlux

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I have tried everything I can think of to get this working. I got new system with some new parts, and some used. I work in IT and have access to some spare parts. The system started off as:

Asrock z77 Extreme3 - New
i5-3570k - USed
8gb ddr3 1866 G.Skill Ares - New
120gb Samsung ssd 840 series - Used
Pinoeer Bluray drive - New
Corsair tx750w PSU - Pulled working from old machine

It boots up fine with everything recognizing in bios. This board is sitting on my desk on a cardboard box lid making sure everything is secure. I put the windows 7 Dvd (burned copy but i have used it several times recently without any trouble) and it begins the process fine. Once you get to the hard drive menu it just restarts. Over and over. I then tried to just let it sit at the select language screen and in the same amount of time as going to the hard drive screen it reboots. I have tried 3 different kinds of ram, and another cpu with the same problem. I also tried running off a usb, but that bluscreens. I have loaded default bios options, turned off legacy usb, tried a different hard drive, swaped out sata cables, tried no usb devices, no hard drives, changing ram settings/voltage(by just .05), changed with sata ports i used, and no matter what i did it did the same thing. I concluded it must be the board. I couldn't load the UBCD either because it would crash off the cd and usb drive i use it on. The two things that were consistant were the PSU and Mobo.

So i proceeded to get my hands on another motherboard. I got an MSI z77a GD65 used (I'm on a tight budget and it was 100$ off) I got the board yesterday and hooked it up............SAME PROBLEM. I had already setup an RMA with asrock, but now i'm thinking its not the boards. I have borrowed a PSU from a freind and I am going to test it when i go home for lunch. The msi board does boot into windows xp install and never crashes, but it also didn't recognize the ssd drive in the drive selection screen(I assume its cause it's no longer MBR based from UEFI). It also loaded up the UBCD fine off cd and usb, and I could run BartPE.

I'm at a loss here. Two boards with the same problem. If it was a PSU I figured it would be more inconsistent. I hope it is the PSU at this point, but i'm not very confident in that. I tried to load windows 7 from my old 500gb, but as i figured it blue screened(old system was a core2qaud). Does anybody have any more ideas on this?

oh the cpu idle is high at around 37c but i'm just using a stock cooler at the moment. I learned from the asrock not to install the massive heatsink until you know it will work. I did put the heat sink on the asrock and pulled it off, cleaned it, and put it back on with new thermal grease to make sure i didn't put too much the first time. If it was the cpu getting too hot I figured it would reboot more often, and during the windows xp install as well.

Thanks

zoenphlux

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
In case anybody has this same problem. Do NOT rule out or assume your PSU is ok. I swapped out PSUs and it installed fine. Not sure the issue since my last system i was using this on a couple weeks ago was using windows 7 also, but either way the problem was my PSU.