Need opinion for new GPU -- Eyefinity plus one extended

siu_peng

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Hi everyone, I just bought a fourth monitor, and would like to add it to my Eyefinity setup as an extended display (for non-gaming).

So here are my specs:
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
CPU: Intel i5 2500K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB = 16GB
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD6850 1GB x2
Power: Cooler Master GX750W Bronze

So I'm currently running three 23" Asus monitors, planning to add a fourth 27" Asus monitor for non-gaming purpose.

My 6850 has 1 Display Port, 1 HDMI, 2 DVI's
My 23" Asus monitor has 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, 1VGA (no Display Port)
My 27" Asus monitor has 1 Display Port, 1 HDMI, 1DVI, 1VGA

From what I know, I cannot have this setup as I will be needing 2 Display Ports for my display card. (correct me if I'm wrong)

What I'm really trying to ask is, suppose my 6850's won't work out for four monitors, what single display card should I get to replace my two 6850's?

They way I'm connecting my cards and monitors now are:
Card DVI -----> Monitory DVI
Card Display Port -----> Active DP to DVI Adapter -----> Monitor DVI (not mini DP)
Card HDMI -----> Monitor HDMI

Note:
I find that there are no GPU's that have both DP and mini DP ports, nor do they have 2 DP ports on a single card.
Suppose I get a card that has 2 mini DP's, can I connect them this way:
23" monitors:
Card DVI -----> Monitory DVI
Card HDMI -----> Monitor HDMI
Card Mini DP -----> Mini DP to DP Adapter -----> Active DP to DVI Adapter -----> Monitor DVI (will this work? since my monitors do not have DP ports)
I live in Macau (in case you don't know where, it's near Hong Kong), eyefinity is not popular here, so it's hard to find these kind of adapters. I spent almost 100USD for my DP to DVI adapter, I don't want it to go to waste. Hopefully I can find Mini DP to DP Adapters here. Do I have to get an active one? Or is there no such thing?)

27" monitor:
Card Mini DP -----> Mini DP to DP Adapter -----> Monitor DP

I hope I'm not making myself too confusing, thanks for your help!

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
I think (not sure) that 1 card can only hold 3 displays so you better stick with your Cfx setup. What i don't understand is ... What is your problem ? can't you plug everything in ?

- The Brownie

siu_peng

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
My problem is, that I want to add a fourth monitor for non-gaming purpose, which I think I need to get a card that has at least two display ports. Is that true? If so, what cards would you guys recommend? I'm looking for something no more than HKD2500, which is probably around 320USD.

siu_peng

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
So can I do eyefinity (as i'm doing now) on the first card, and have my fourth monitor on my second card without crossfireing them? If this is possible, do i need to connect my fourth monitor via display port?

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
I would say yes you can do it but 1 card for 3 monitors would be too much and only one monitor one 1 card .... I would crossfire them but put the 3 screens for eyefinity on the first card and your normal monitor on the second one. That way, you are going to have the best performances you can have. If it doesn't work, do the way you said (No cfx, same setup)

- The Brownie

siu_peng

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
So, let me know if I'm getting this right:

All I need now is to
- disable crossfire
- connect 4th monitor to 2nd card via display port (has to be display port right?)
- configure settings via ccc

and I should be getting a 3x1 + 1 extented right?

thanks for your help, since getting a new GPU wouldn't be my first choice unless I really have to..

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Kinda but it would more be like that :

1- Enable Crossfire
2- Plug your 3 eyefinity screens on the top card
3- Plug your other monitor in any port of the second card
4- Go in Windows and setup your screens

If it dosent work that way

1- Disable Crossfire
2- Connect 4th monitor to the second card (IN ANY PORT THERES NO DIFFERENCE)
3- Set eveything up in ccc

The 27" should be for basic windows and the 3-screen only for gaming in my opinion

- The Brownie

siu_peng

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
but what's this that I've been reading about that connecting 3rd monitor onward must be through display port? meaning that you can only use eg. 1DVI 1HDMI for first 2 screens, 3rd screen onward must be connected via display port? also, I think that after enabling crossfire, all monitors must be connected to the top card, as the bottom card won't be able to detect monitors anymore.

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Never heard about it, use it as a normal port, none are superior to the others. If they were all disply ports, where would you plug your screen ? They are all video output and being a display port don't make them better than the others.

And yeah the second card will be able to detect monitors. some people with nvidia surround used the top dvi + 1 on the bottom card instead of using converters.

- The Brownie

siu_peng

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
well I tried it last night, what worked for me was to
- disable crossfire
- connect 4th monitor via display port
- configure settings through CCC

works perfect now.

Thanks anyway!