Dell 4400, Win XP PRO, and PC2100

G

Hi,

About two weeks ago I took ownership of a new Dell Dimension 4400 running Windows XP Professional with 128 MB of RAM. Since Dell's prices for memory are high, I planned to buy additional memory in the aftermarket.

However, I ran into trouble. On about the third day of loading up new software, the system started freezing with the BSOD. It did this about once every 2-3 hours. Unable to fix the problem, Dell tech support instructed me to reinstall Windows XP, which I did about a week ago. Since then I've only installed a limited amount of software to see if the problem still occurs. Now the system no longer freezes with the BSOD, but it has rebooted at random 3 times in the past week. The Microsoft crash analysis indicates it's the same problem as previously. Today Dell tech support told me I should have reinstalled XP in "debug mode" (I didn't even know there was such a thing), and given that I've already put several days of work into this I refused. So now Dell's sending me another machine to trade for this one.

In the meantime, I've started shopping for more memory. One of the vendors I spoke with said that the symptoms I'm having occur when one uses 4-layer and/or high-density RAM instead of 6-layer, low-density RAM. I've contacted Dell about this, but they just say their specs call for non-ECC PC2100 DDR RAM. They have no details about layers, density, or CAS latency. This is a new model for Dell, so one can't even use Dell's web site to order more memory, and the aftermarket vendors don't have it on their systems yet.

Scanning this forum, I've seen posting in which people say that systems that specify upper limits to the memory that can be used tend to need low-density memory. The Dell only allows 1 GB, in two slots. The vendor I spoke to also said that two-slot systems with a 1 GB max tend to need higher spec memory (low density, 6-layer) than three slot systems with a 1.5 GB max.

So here are my questions for you experts:
1. Does it really sound as if the problem is in the memory? If so, what should I do when Dell's probably sending the second machine with the same kind of memory?

2. Problem aside, does it make sense to spend the extra money for 6-layer, low density memory? Is this kind of memory more reliable, faster, or offer some other benefit? Or is it just throwing money away?

3. Can anyone suggest good brands for this memory? The vendor I spoke to endorsed Atlas Precision, but on the web I've seen Samsung, Kingston, and Nanya advertised for less (about $20 less for 512 MB).

4. Can anyone suggest a good vendor for the memory? I've used the price grabber, but it would be nice to have someone endorse a knowledgable, reliable, honest, low-price vendor.

5. Do you see any problem using the new 512 MB PC2100 DDR memory together with the original 128 MB PC2100 DDR memory? Do I have to watch out for special compatability between the two memory modules?

Thanks for the advice.

G

my only advice is to buy a stick of 512MB DDR 2100 and take out whatever Dell gives you. Crucial is typically the most recommended.

this is why i build computers myself. retailers like Dell will rip you off and sell you lousy product. build it yourself, and you dont have to worry about their quality control (plus it's about 1/2 - 1/3 of the price of retail).

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Man, Win XP Pro with 128 MB of RAM....you're not planning on running anything else are you :smile: ? Just kidding....Cancel your order if its not too late. I just spent $1100 (including tax and shipping) and got a 1.6A, ASUS P4T-E, 512 MB of RDR, 80 GB HDD, TB SC Sound, Visiontek GF3 Ti200, DVD, CD-RW. Not for nothing, but what really sucks about Dell (who, BTW, is "#1 in the industry for customer service") is that is takes two seconds to get through to buy a computer and 2 hours to get one fixed......then you have to take a day off to with for the high school kid to come to your house [bold]when[/bold] it breaks (if they ever agree to send one of those poor dopes to your house). If you don't feel comfortable building your own system, and you don't have a friend that's a techno-dork, no offense to all of you techno dorks who have helped me so much....(PLEASE DON'T MISLEAD ME NEXT TIME I ASK FOR YOUR ADVISE, I BEG OF YOU), then try to find a local mom-and-pop shop to help you out. If you put in a little time and effort to specify (and demand) the parts that you want, and then a little time to solicit quotes, chances are that you won't be disappointed. You'll get a better system at a better price. Good luck either way.

-Rick