MOHAA Issue

I posted this to the Help and Support News Group and got no response, so
maybe I can get it answered here. I'm not sure what happened, but I had to
reinstall MOHAA on my new custom system, and couldn't get it to install ( had
imported it from my old computer--that was not good!). I did a delete from
the control panel, but that didn't work, either. I went to the EA (game
manufacturer) website to
see if there was something I did wrong. I had to do a manual delete from the
registry. Now when I try it, I get nothing. The Install Wizard starts up,
but then nothing happens. Once I got a "catastrophic failure" message. I
tried loading other games from different developers and got "Setup is unable
to run a program needed to proceed with the installation. Restart yoursystem
and try again. Error 105" I have no idea as what to do. I triedrestoring
to a previous state, but that didn't work. I thought it might be
the DVD/CD drive, but it reads other cds with Emails, pictures, etc. I don't
think it is gaming related, rather something I may have done during the
removal of the MOHAA series that messed up the registry or removed a program
from XP associated with the Install Wizard. I might add that I have RTCW
running with no problem and a couple of others, but these wer clean installs
on tthis machine.
3 answers Last reply
More about mohaa issue

    Hi Steve,

    "Steve Z." <SteveZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53ADB658-32AF-4A16-867B-77D364660CB6@microsoft.com...
    |I posted this to the Help and Support News Group and got no response, so
    | maybe I can get it answered here. I'm not sure what happened, but I had to
    | reinstall MOHAA on my new custom system, and couldn't get it to install ( had
    | imported it from my old computer--that was not good!). I did a delete from
    | the control panel, but that didn't work, either. I went to the EA (game
    | manufacturer) website to
    | see if there was something I did wrong. I had to do a manual delete from the
    | registry. Now when I try it, I get nothing. The Install Wizard starts up,
    | but then nothing happens. Once I got a "catastrophic failure" message. I
    | tried loading other games from different developers and got "Setup is unable
    | to run a program needed to proceed with the installation. Restart yoursystem
    | and try again. Error 105" I have no idea as what to do. I triedrestoring
    | to a previous state, but that didn't work. I thought it might be
    | the DVD/CD drive, but it reads other cds with Emails, pictures, etc. I don't
    | think it is gaming related, rather something I may have done during the
    | removal of the MOHAA series that messed up the registry or removed a program
    | from XP associated with the Install Wizard. I might add that I have RTCW
    | running with no problem and a couple of others, but these wer clean installs
    | on tthis machine.

    Here's how to uninstall a game, especially tricky ones:

    Step A: In Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs, remove the game and then delete the game's folder especially if you previously
    experienced problems with a patch, or if you installed the Trial, Mods, NO CD patches, etc.

    Note: Click Start to Search or Find your game. Many times there are two installs
    of the same game on a system and the patch installs to the wrong one. Also if you
    installed a Trial version of the game, this could be causing a conflict.. Uninstall it
    and delete the folder.

    Step B: Reinstall the game to the same folder and try uninstalling it

    Step C: Install and Run Regcleaner and if it finds any stray registry keys for the
    game, delete them. Reboot your computer, and then re-install the game.
    Regcleaner Download: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html

    Cheers,
    Jimmy S.

    Microsoft MVP Windows XP Shell/User: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
    Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

    Jimmy,

    Thanks for the response. I did all you recommended, but have not yet tried
    a reinstall. I have this error report which might point to another issue.
    What do you think?