Sign in with
Your question

Thinking about getting a second grapichs card

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2013 2:22:44 PM

Bought my pc about 5 months ago, i am getting pretty good performence not on highest settings in demanding games.

but since i kinda like perfection,and i have the money, i was thinking about buying a second GPU.

my rig:

i5 3450 3.1Ghz

hd 7850 2GB

8GB ram

(if you need more info,i will find out and edit,that's all i remember)

so for the questions:

1. the two GPU's must be exactly the same?(2x7850 in my case)

2.will my cpu bottleneck my if i will buy another GPU?(in the future,or now.)

and if there's something else i need to know about having 2gpu's please tell me.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english(not my main language)

More about : thinking grapichs card

March 8, 2013 3:45:35 PM

We need to know what your motherboard and psu are to tell you if two graphics cards will work or not. To answer your questions:

1.)No, just two 7850

2.)I think you were asking about your cpu and no, that 3450 could run two 690s fine.
March 8, 2013 4:19:28 PM

wanderer11 said:
We need to know what your motherboard and psu are to tell you if two graphics cards will work or not. To answer your questions:

1.)No, just two 7850

2.)I think you were asking about your cpu and no, that 3450 could run two 690s fine.

motherboard : h77-d3h

psu: i dont really know how to check, that's what's written on it

" antec 620 high current gamer"

and yea i meant cpu.

so will another GPU work?

Related resources
March 8, 2013 7:11:44 PM

Nope. That mobo has 1 3.0x16 slot and 1 2.0x4. You would need a different mobo for crossfire to work well. That psu would have worked for 2 7850s though.
March 8, 2013 7:35:08 PM

If the performance increase you want isn't too much, use something like Afterburner (or even Catalyst Control Center) to overclock your graphics card. If it still isn't enough, then as wanderer11 said, you can currently only run a single card properly. A HD7970 would be a significant upgrade, if you believe it's worth the money. Of course, you could offset some of the cost by selling your HD7850.
!