zakkforchilli

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I've been told that the Intel Graphics HD 4000 gets it's Video Memory from the systems memory, versus having it's own dedicated amount like on the AMD Radeon's and NVIDIA's.

My computer has an i5 1.7gHz in it, with 6GB of RAM. The gaming performance is not great.

If that above statement is true, and I upgrade to 16GB (the max my laptop can take) will it dedicate MORE RAM to the shared amount of the Graphics card??

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
First, your i5 frequency is too low to be playable. 3.0GHz is the minimum these days.

For the ram, you have to choose how much you want the integrated graphics to use but it won't make it "better" it will just be better on higher reslotuions and won't be as good as any 100$ pcie card

- The Brownie

zakkforchilli

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
How can I choose how much the graphics can use?

I know it's pretty low, I've seen some footage of it online playing really well with Battlefield and Black Ops surprisingly.. They had their RAM maxed out at 16 with it though. its turbo boosted to 2.6 and that holds steady during gameplay according to the hardware monitor I grabbed

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
You have to go in the Bios and look for something about "integrated graphics" "integrated memory" "iGpu memory" or something that look like this. Just go through your Bios and you will find it someday. At that point, just change the amount and you're good to go.

- The Brownie

here's the thing, even if it is possible to give the iGPU 8 or even 16gb, it won't help much, it will still be slow when you play demanding games. an iGPU will never be as good as the GPU of its generation.

its architecture is still the same, the clock frequency is still the same, only the memory amount will change, and memory is not everything. We can find a gt 630 out there slapped with 4gb, but that won't help it, a good 2gb card will destroy that 630, even a good 1gb gpu.

judging on your specs, this is a laptop correct? then the only thing you could do is try it out, give it what it needs, run benchmarks and compare.

my advice, next time, get a desktop (if portability is not an issue)

zakkforchilli

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
thanks guys. without making any changes to the BIOS Modern Warfare 2 is running perfectly on low settings, which really doesnt look all that bad on a small laptop.

my impatience screwed me here, i didnt know how bad i wanted to play games until i got the thing in my hands lol the pc is fast as HELL doing my audio and video editing, along with photoshop, and SOME games work good. theres no way to upgrade the GPU which sucks... might have to do a trade in.

zakkforchilli

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

ohhhhh crap you mean instead of switching i out, add it.

i know that if i got the better graphics card for this laptop, it would have STILL had the Intel HD 4000 Graphics card in it too and it SWITCHED between the two for intensive games. correct???

can anyone shed some light on this? or should i start a new thread lol

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

No actually the thing is that Intel Hd Graphics 4000 is inside the processor itself (Hope you know it already lol) and if you add another card it will be disabled unless you able it in the Bios. If you do that, the card you just added will not be used (they can't be switched).

What i was talking about switching was that some laptop come with non-integrated graphics (in this case a added card) and if you performances are not good enough, you can change that card for a better one.

What are your laptop specs exactly ? Maybe i could help you out.

- The Brownie

zakkforchilli

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

thats poop news... i dont have the advanced bios cant even find a way to enable it i geuss HP made it so ya cant.

SPECS: this EXACT model built to ship... (only reason i didnt get a better one, couldnt wait) i know very stupid..

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/C2K72UA?HP-ENVY-Ultrabook-4-1130us

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

It's a very small laptop right ? Like it's thin and light ? Your chances adding up something in it are very slight ....

Here's a example of laptop graphic card : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGnOU_Ky-8

This guy's using a alienware laptop and he's changing the video card

- The Brownie

zakkforchilli

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

yeah its thin.. his alienware is huge lol. like 3x mine after looking at the video quickly.
i mean its possible since it could COME that way...

either way, wouldnt a certified HP tech be able to do such a thing? even if it took a week + money?

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
No Hp won't modify a laptop that way because it would break the warranty. The only thing they do is like adding ram and sometimes hard drive when it's located under.

- The Brownie

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Sounds like there's no place for one ... It's very rare to have a laptop which supports a add-on graphic card...

If you really want a gaming laptop, go with Msi laptops (Alienware are complete bullshit) or build a tower (less expensive, way more powerful)

- The Brownie

zakkforchilli

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

yeahhhh i got 20 days left to exchange it lol although it'll take forever...
instead of the ultrabook for just like 150$ more the 15inch with an i7 2.4/3.4ghz with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M switchable (1 GB DDR3, up to 1.65 GB)

is that one any good with the i7 backing it?

ive seen intel hd graphics working super good with the i7 behind it... like HIGH settings in battlefield.

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

For 150$, AWESOME deal. i7 with base 2.4 and max 3.4, go for it. You will get almost 8core performance (Which will last for a good 2-3 years) and the graphic card should be better than integrated graphics. Go for it.

- The Brownie

Laptops with mxm slots are only going to be high end gaming laptops $1000+. Ultrabooks are really a different category and will never have mxm slots. The reason is ultrabooks have very little cooling capacity because of their thickness. They have to have low power versions of components and the ones with discrete graphics are low end gpus which use little power. Only the 660m and up have mxm cards available and are much higher power and heat than an ultrabook can handle. Any lower discrete is soldered on the mobo. Your power brick would also not even be able to handle a higher card. Most laptops will have switchable graphics and if it does, there is never an option to disable/enable the igpu in bios. Don't believe all youtube videos, the hd 4000 is too weak to play high on bf3 mp at a decent fps unless you oc. Btw ht is only ~20% more performance, not even near 8 core performance.

$150 more would be $800 for a 630m which is not good. For $750 you can get a 650m. http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=5B0116E237099FA0FCA012D9B20ED2FB Fyi it does not have switchable graphics which isn't a concern. It still get 4+ hours on battery.

zakkforchilli

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
It wont be primarily a gaming machine... Just a few FPS's here and there. Im a fan of portability and that Ideapad is practically a desktop lol even the 17" dv7 from HP is smaller.. im sticking with HP though didnt really mention that before. I like their style for some reason.

TRENDING THREADS