GPU upgrade for Core 2 Quad Q8200 @2.33 ghz

kevnick75110

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Hello,

I would like to upgrade my dell studio 540 gpu for gaming without the worries of bottle neck.
Power supply looks to be kinda low grade and only 350w....$100 to $150 tops for this old computer.
May consider a psu upgrade if y'all think its worth it.....BTW i have 6gb of mem.

kevnick75110

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

ok thankyou for your time, I have been leaning towards the 650ti and I was wondering about bottleneck with this processor.
May find that I have to upgrade power supply as long as cpu can handle it.

Hmm well you may have one I would say chances are fairly small with a 650Ti that it would bottlenck. The main thing holding your cpu back is that its clock speed is pretty low to where I think it would need to be with most current video cards but I'm wondering what others have to say as well.

G

my thoughts:

you do have a very slow processor and its highly unlikely you will be able to overclock since dell "locks" the bios.

and aside from any possible bottleneck:
getting a card like the 650ti or 7770 would really need a psu upgrade for being able to have a 6 pin pci power connection that you know will be supported by the psu.

i would suggest a lower end/cheaper card like the 7750. that way you avoid any potential bottleneck AND do not have to spend money on a PSU. your current computer is old and hopefully serve you well.

save your money and at least consider a newer cpu, mobo and ram.

mohit9206

Distinguished
am pretty sure there would be no bottleneck with the 7750 or 650 with your cpu even at stock speeds. however i think you may lose upto 20% performance with the 650 ti . so you will have to overclock your cpu to remove that bottleneck for which you may need a cpu cooler. also you will need a psu as 650ti may be too much for your psu.
so i suggest just get a 7750 and no need to get new psu or cpu cooler

hytecgowthaman

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Disadvantages of branded system: Branded systems only give 1year warenty,Assembled system give 3years warenty (2year extra warenty compare to branded).
branded systems give limits for users examples: 1:limited sata ports ,2:low space for extra hdds ,3:upgrade processor also not supported (many processors) because of branded system bios. 4:upgrading gpu also not supported (many gpus )because of branded systems psu and bios limitations. 5:if u r linux user don't spend money for ms os and softwares. etc.....
So consult Dell customer care to know that bios can support that gpu.
because Dell want some $ to unlock bios .

if it were a q9xxx i would recommend that you OC until you break the 3ghz.

but as far as i know Q8xxx is bad in OC'ing, a 650Ti would be nice or a 7770, not sure how each compares though.
my q9400 reached 3.4ghz, it wasn't the max since i targeted 3.4 only, never tried to get more out of it

I didn't know dell did that. I know that retail companies in general do and I shouldn't be shocked. And I also think that if going forward he wants to get more into games in general he will need more horse power then a CPU that was made in 2007. So you are right there which would require a motherboard and a memory upgrade from the old ddr2 standard as well as the power supply. On the cheap though yea the 7750 should do fine as it goes off the slot's power and not a aux pci-e power connection.