Closed Solved

~$1,000 Gaming Computer

Hello,

I'm attempting to build my first PC. I've been reading up on the articles here (The build-off's and the like).

And think I'm finally ready to give it a shot.

I realize that Tom put together a $1000 build for Q1 already, but I felt like I could push the envelope a little further and add in a few extra features.

That being said, I hope this isn't a complete failure, in that I have no previous experience in building computers and my overall knowledge is limited to what I've read over the last couple months (i.e., all theory and no application).

I'm open to suggestions and getting the price to performance ratio better is always a good goal in my opinion.

Here goes:

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: soon, the sooner the better

Budget Range: $800-1200 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Movies, Music, Production (very low on this last one)

Are you buying a monitor: Not right away, I've got a crappy one that I'll list down with the parts, I'll probably upgrade in a few months.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Location: Mars, PA, USA - is the location of the build. I'm on assignment for work, but my hometown is Skokie, IL, USA

Parts Preferences: I don't really have a preference between AMD and Intel, or NVIDIA and AMD. As this is my first build, I'm open to pretty much whatever; however, going by the builds here on TH, it sounds like the Intel cards do slightly better for gaming (Best Budget CPU's for Gaming February).

Overclocking: Not likely, but maybe. I've never done any overclocking before and to be honest, the thought of possibly losing components that I've spent money on is terrifying.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, but it'll be a while down the road I'm still trying to get the boss (my fiance) to be okay with the $1k I'm anticipating spending as it is. Adding another $200-300 isn't really going to fly right now.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900 currently (but again, I'm open to suggestions for the future monitor)

Additional Comments: I'm okay with having windows and LED's on the machine. I'm okay with some noise, doesn't need to be super quiet. A game that I'll probably purchase in the near term is Skyrim. I've not really gotten into many MMORPGs. I've played Diablo 2 and am considering getting Diablo 3. I've been playing a lot of console games because the only PC I have is a 6 year old Dell laptop that I got when I graduated college. Other possible uses for the computer would be to give it a tuner so that I can run TV through it as well, but I think newegg sells a stand alone tuner that won't need to go inside the box (HomeRun?). There's some possibility that I'll be using it to stream Netflix to a projector once I get more settled into the house (as in not in PA but back in IL).

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current laptop can barely play Diablo 2 let alone any of the new games that have come out. I got a beta Diablo 3 a while back only to find out that my current set up wouldn't even run it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-V LE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.97 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro Platinum 550W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($175.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1101.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-08 15:00 EST-0500)

The current monitor I have is:
LG W1952TQ 19-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor

Any help/suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any support you're willing to provide.

~Corey
35 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming computer
  1. That PSU is stupid expensive. Get one From Antec, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic.
  2. monkey1man said:
    Hello,

I'm attempting to build my first PC. I've been reading up on the articles here (The build-off's and the like).

And think I'm finally ready to give it a shot.

I realize that Tom put together a $1000 build for Q1 already, but I felt like I could push the envelope a little further and add in a few extra features.

That being said, I hope this isn't a complete failure, in that I have no previous experience in building computers and my overall knowledge is limited to what I've read over the last couple months (i.e., all theory and no application).

I'm open to suggestions and getting the price to performance ratio better is always a good goal in my opinion.

Here goes:

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: soon, the sooner the better

Budget Range: $800-1200 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Movies, Music, Production (very low on this last one)

Are you buying a monitor: Not right away, I've got a crappy one that I'll list down with the parts, I'll probably upgrade in a few months.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Location: Mars, PA, USA - is the location of the build. I'm on assignment for work, but my hometown is Skokie, IL, USA

Parts Preferences: I don't really have a preference between AMD and Intel, or NVIDIA and AMD. As this is my first build, I'm open to pretty much whatever; however, going by the builds here on TH, it sounds like the Intel cards do slightly better for gaming (Best Budget CPU's for Gaming February).

Overclocking: Not likely, but maybe. I've never done any overclocking before and to be honest, the thought of possibly losing components that I've spent money on is terrifying.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, but it'll be a while down the road I'm still trying to get the boss (my fiance) to be okay with the $1k I'm anticipating spending as it is. Adding another $200-300 isn't really going to fly right now.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900 currently (but again, I'm open to suggestions for the future monitor)

Additional Comments: I'm okay with having windows and LED's on the machine. I'm okay with some noise, doesn't need to be super quiet. A game that I'll probably purchase in the near term is Skyrim. I've not really gotten into many MMORPGs. I've played Diablo 2 and am considering getting Diablo 3. I've been playing a lot of console games because the only PC I have is a 6 year old Dell laptop that I got when I graduated college. Other possible uses for the computer would be to give it a tuner so that I can run TV through it as well, but I think newegg sells a stand alone tuner that won't need to go inside the box (HomeRun?). There's some possibility that I'll be using it to stream Netflix to a projector once I get more settled into the house (as in not in PA but back in IL).

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current laptop can barely play Diablo 2 let alone any of the new games that have come out. I got a beta Diablo 3 a while back only to find out that my current set up wouldn't even run it.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.97 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro Platinum 550W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($175.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1101.87
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-08 15:00 EST-0500)

The current monitor I have is:
    LG W1952TQ 19-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor

Any help/suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any support you're willing to provide.

~Corey

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ Microcenter)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1101.90
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-08 15:34 EST-0500)

Need to kick that old screen to the side and wade into 1080p full frontal.

=)
  3. I would spend the additional $$ for the i5-3570K and the better turbo frequency.

Everything else looks decent for a system that will have a single GPU and no OC (more would require a power and motherboard upgrade). The motherboard isn't built for Crossfire as your second card will be handicapped by the second PCIe x16 slot running at 4x. As a result, I'd just consider that motherboard as built for a single video card. That 6950 should give you great performance in this slot.

I'd also go for this power supply (Seasonic 550):
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm

It is the foundation of a stable system. The power supply is modular and while not platinum is 80+gold and made by the best power supply company in the business.
  4. I just ordered my build

i5 3570k
    Asus Z77 Motherboard
    Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce
    120gb SSD SATA III
    1tb hard drive
    8gb kingston Ram
    Coolmaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler.
    Thermaltake Case
    Ultra LSP 750w power supply with life time warranty good reviews on it.
    Windows 7 home premium.

$1178 shipped for it all and $1088 after rebates. can get it for under $1000 if you have OS and don't want the aftermarket cooler

Here the bundle i got

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7787120&CatId=4910

Ordered the GTX670,120gb SSD,Coolmaster Hyper 212 EVO from another place.
  5. That PSU isn't great. Wouldn't touch it.
  6. Quote:
    That PSU isn't great. Wouldn't touch it.

Which PSU is that?
  7. maxalge said:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ Microcenter)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1101.90
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-08 15:34 EST-0500)

Need to kick that old screen to the side and wade into 1080p full frontal.

=)

I'm definitely liking that you were able to add a monitor and only increase my total price by $0.03.
  8. The Ultra LSP.
  9. tiny voices said:
    The Ultra LSP.

889 Reviews and its 4.7 stars and lifetime warranty sounds good to me.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276567
  10. It isn't even 80+ certified. Most units above 500w are a tleast 80+ bronze.

I wouldn't mess with that PSU.
  11. jaggsta said:
    889 Reviews and its 4.7 stars and lifetime warranty sounds good to me.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276567

lifetime warranty sounds good, until it pops and takes your system with it.
  12. Exactly. It's not worth risking all your components to save a few bucks. They will replace the PSU, but not the rest of your computer.
  13. I hope that graphics card fits, it is longer than my.... hockey stick.

I have an Antec P183-V3, and my hard drives etc couldn't be installed in brackets that lined up with that GPU. I had to choose HDD brackets that were at the bottom or top of my case only. Couldn't fit any in the middle.

It sure is a nice one though.

I've added a pic of my OC. Nothing too aggressive, fans stay nice and quiet. Nvm, can't find how to upload links to pics.
  14. It will fit just fine in that case OP is getting.
  15. Went to the site just to make sure. The card will fit for sure as you said. But damn those bigger cards are tight! Look at the pic of the case with the 5970s in it. (Scroll down and zoom to the pic with the red graphics cards.)
    http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2989

Just like mine, if you go to the longer cards, you loose your middle HDD bays. I am NOT saying that is the case in this case. Just saying that is something people need to watch for these days, as the cards are getting really long.
  16. Huh....I hadn't considered the card being too long.

So we're in agreement that the Sapphire GPU will fit in the CM Elite 430 case? Or CM Storm Enforcer?

Should really have paid attention to the dimensions....

Sorry guys.
  17. Sounds like tiny voices has done a build in this case or something. Says you're good, and chances are, you will be fine.

I tried to find the exact dimensions (it does show them in the pic on the website), but the numbers are too small to be readable.
  18. Here we go, a review done by Tomshardware on that case. They say

"The Elite 430 easily swallowed our high-end hardware, though we did notice nearly one inch of overlap between the graphics card and hard drive. Cards up to 12.4” can be wiggled into position when the corresponding drive bay is empty, while drives reduce clearance to around 9.6” (using right-angle drive cables)." So it sounds like there is a chance (depending on the length of your gpu) that there will be some HDD bays you won't be able to use. No big deal at all, if that's the case, you'll still have a lot of other HDD bays to use.

source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/antec-three-hundred-enermax-staray-cooler-master-elite-430,2707-10.html
  19. jimthenagual said:
    Here we go, a review done by Tomshardware on that case. They say

"The Elite 430 easily swallowed our high-end hardware, though we did notice nearly one inch of overlap between the graphics card and hard drive. Cards up to 12.4” can be wiggled into position when the corresponding drive bay is empty, while drives reduce clearance to around 9.6” (using right-angle drive cables)."

source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/antec-three-hundred-enermax-staray-cooler-master-elite-430,2707-10.html

Thanks for posting that up!
  20. Okay. I'm trying to finalize the build so that I can put in the orders either today or tomorrow to get this build rolling. Taking the suggestions from above and then adding in an OS, thermal paste, CPU cooler, and extra case fan for air flow that were suggested to me offline.

Another item that was bought up to me offline was that I should ditch the SSD and HDD combo and just get a 10k RPM HDD to shave off some cost at a not great performance drop. I'm inclined to disagree so I left in the SDD/HDD combo.

Here's the build: (Not I'm over on my price goal....so help me please!)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($5.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.83 @ Compuvest)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($53.88 @ NCIX US)
    Case Fan: Apevia CF12SL-BBL 50.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($9.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($51.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1282.56
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-10 10:40 EDT-0400)

Any thoughts/help/suggestions/criticisms (constructive or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

~Corey
  21. 10k HDDs are not worth it. They aren't faster than a normal 7200rpm drive. Get a regular HDD.
    Get the coolermaster hyper 212 evo CPU cooler. Its much better than what you have selected.
    Ditch that case fan.
  22. Best answer
    You can't overclock with a h77 motherboard, i don't see the point in getting the i5-3570k, if you don't plan to overclock, there's cheaper motherboards, and you don't need the aftermarket cooler, i would get the corsair 200R.
    My suggestion :

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($183.79 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($76.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($63.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($171.98 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1174.68

With ips monitor, no mir in the total, you can change for the 7950 from sapphire, if you prefer amd cards.
  23. tiny voices said:
    10k HDDs are not worth it. They aren't faster than a normal 7200rpm drive. Get a regular HDD.
    Get the coolermaster hyper 212 evo CPU cooler. Its much better than what you have selected.
    Ditch that case fan.

Thanks for the feedback tiny.

What do you think about djangoringo's suggestion of ditching the cooler altogether and changing the case up?
  24. djangoringo said:
    You can't overclock with a h77 motherboard, i don't see the point in getting the i5-3570k, if you don't plan to overclock, there's cheaper motherboards, and you don't need the aftermarket cooler, i would get the corsair 200R.
    My suggestion :

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($183.79 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($76.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($63.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($171.98 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1174.68

With ips monitor, no mir in the total, you can change for the 7950 from sapphire, if you prefer amd cards.

I'm confused by that last statement. Maybe I'm just not up on the lingo, but what's "IPS" and "MIR"? I'm partial to the 7950 for the price and that it's 3gb.

Thanks for you changes though. I'm hoping to put in the orders for the parts in the next 24 hours or so.
  25. IPS means in-plane switching technology, see here the differences between the ips and tn panel ones(like the other non ips monitors) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWXcNlh85Ps

In my opinion it's worth getting an ips monitor.
    MIR refers to the mail in rebates, since you have to pay up front the total, i didn't include those, sometimes it can be misleading, so consider the mail in rebates an extra.
  26. djangoringo said:
    IPS means in-plane switching technology, see here the differences between the ips and tn panel ones(like the other non ips monitors) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWXcNlh85Ps

In my opinion it's worth getting an ips monitor.
    MIR refers to the mail in rebates, since you have to pay up front the total, i didn't include those, sometimes it can be misleading, so consider the mail in rebates an extra.

Thanks for the video, that was quite helpful.

As far as the IPS monitor, that's what it looks like I've got spec'd there (didn't know that...).

What's your thoughts on the NVIDIA versus the AMD card?

The AMD card will give me two games for that price and 3GB of memory.
  27. Yes, like i said it's your choice, you can fit either of the two card, if you want the games in question go with the 7950, it's just my preference to go with the 660 ti, since in some reviews it shows the 660 ti is slightly better with time frame latencies.
    But the 7950 is also good, and brings the games.
  28. djangoringo said:
    Yes, like i said it's your choice, you can fit either of the two card, if you want the games in question go with the 7950, it's just my preference to go with the 660 ti, since in some reviews it shows the 660 ti is slightly better with time frame latencies.
    But the 7950 is also good, and brings the games.

Thanks.

Also, you prefer the Corsair case to the CM case?
  29. Yes, the Corsair 200R is right now one of the best 50$ cases, you can check several reviews of it, it's a really good case.
  30. djangoringo said:
    Yes, the Corsair 200R is right now one of the best 50$ cases, you can check several reviews of it, it's a really good case.

Thanks again.

I noticed you removed the Bluray player too. Thoughts on that?
  31. I didn't know if you want one, because in my opinion, it's useless, unless you plan to add bluray discs(movies) in the pc, because no game comes in bluray disc, it's all digital now, either from steam, ea origins, ubiplay, etc.
    So for the os and other simple stuff, the dvd drive will do just fine.
  32. djangoringo said:
    I didn't know if you want one, because in my opinion, it's useless, unless you plan to add bluray discs(movies) in the pc, because no game comes in bluray disc, it's all digital now, either from steam, ea origins, ubiplay, etc.
    So for the os and other simple stuff, the dvd drive will do just fine.

Okay cool.

And the CPU mobo combo you suggested will work alright for Skyrim and the like?

Also, I meant to check your case suggestion for the length of the Sapphire GPU to make sure it fits. I guess it was going to be a tight fit on the other case.

Thanks again.

~Corey
  33. It fits in the corsair 200r case, the i5 is a good cpu for it, one of the best gaming cpus, the z75 offers lot of features for 77$, it's a good motherboard for the price.
  34. djangoringo said:
    It fits in the corsair 200r case, the i5 is a good cpu for it, one of the best gaming cpus, the z75 offers lot of features for 77$, it's a good motherboard for the price.

Awesome. Thanks a lot. I'll probably put in my order soon.

Thanks again.

~Corey
  35. Best answer selected by monkey1man.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product