Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Low fps on most games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2013 9:27:51 PM

Hey i just got a toshiba satellite P875-S7310 with a intel hd graphics 4000 and for the first couple of days i thought it was absolutely wonderful. i started downloading some games from steam such as skyrim and fallout new vegas. they ran pretty slow so i managed ways to get better fps to where it would no longer bother me from low fps. but recently i bought far cry 3 and the fps was less than decent. i tried to lower the settings to get it up higher but with all of the settings on low and my resolution at 800x400, which is very far from the native resolution. im really getting tired of this problem and ive been contemplating several ways that i van fix it. the first idea was that maybe if i get more ram it might help (i already have 8gb ddr3-1600 so that has little hope) my next idea was to buy myself a small ssd and ghost my operating system and my most played games to it. the option that i was thinking of next was to just try to maybe buy a motherboard from the upgraded Toshiba Satellite P875-30E and replace it with the one that im currently using. i found that one pretty unreasonable so i was looking around on various websites and i found something pretty interesting. this was that one guy found out how to attach an external graphics card to the laptop, heres the link: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5846&r... .. will this work?? if not whats my best option from here im willing to hear any suggestions so anybody please help.

More about : low fps games

a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 9:42:14 PM

Flipback012 said:
Hey i just got a toshiba satellite P875-S7310 with a intel hd graphics 4000 and for the first couple of days i thought it was absolutely wonderful. i started downloading some games from steam such as skyrim and fallout new vegas. they ran pretty slow so i managed ways to get better fps to where it would no longer bother me from low fps. but recently i bought far cry 3 and the fps was less than decent. i tried to lower the settings to get it up higher but with all of the settings on low and my resolution at 800x400, which is very far from the native resolution. im really getting tired of this problem and ive been contemplating several ways that i van fix it. the first idea was that maybe if i get more ram it might help (i already have 8gb ddr3-1600 so that has little hope) my next idea was to buy myself a small ssd and ghost my operating system and my most played games to it. the option that i was thinking of next was to just try to maybe buy a motherboard from the upgraded Toshiba Satellite P875-30E and replace it with the one that im currently using. i found that one pretty unreasonable so i was looking around on various websites and i found something pretty interesting. this was that one guy found out how to attach an external graphics card to the laptop, heres the link: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5846&r... .. will this work?? if not whats my best option from here im willing to hear any suggestions so anybody please help.

More ram, an ssd, etc will do nothing.

While your notebook has a good processor..

The problem lies in the graphics card, it's just too weak for serious gaming.
Score

Best solution

a c 161 U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 9:54:36 PM

As simple as this, HD4000 is on CPU graphics, its not meant for gaming. Far Cry 3 is a very GPU intensive game and you just CAN NOT play it on onboard graphics.

An SSD will not benefit gaming AT ALL, except for loading times.
More RAM will not help you either.
And lastly that solution for adding external graphics will not work either. Your laptop does not have expresscard(and even if it did, the gains in performance is very little thanks to the latency between the external card and the rest of the system).

If you had thunderbolt then you could easily add some external graphics.

Now you have one option left to you. Change out your mobo for one with thunderbolt. This has little chance of working as MOSTLY as each mobo is custom made for a specific laptop.

You can contact toshiba to find out if they ahve replacement board. Keep in mind that this will be extremely expensive and you will end up spending so much, you may as well get a new laptop or build a cheap desktop.

My suggestion : Build yourself a nice gaming desktop and use the laptop for mobility.
January 19, 2013 12:19:54 AM

Best answer selected by Flipback012.
Score
!