Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Video card help?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 18, 2013 9:38:59 PM

hey guys im building my own gaming computer and i had the idea of hooking it up to my tv so is the PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card at least ok at doing this. I cant get a better one because i dont have the money

More about : video card

a c 161 U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 9:46:29 PM

Yeah that card will do fine, BUT, you really need to go for a more reliable brand.
Sapphire should not be much more expensive.
What is your budget?
What resolution is the TV?
m
0
l
January 18, 2013 10:44:58 PM

idk the resolution right now because i dont have the box but its around 40 inch hd tv and my budget is super tight for the whole computer i had $600 and im at $627.08
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 161 U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 10:46:18 PM

OK wait a min. Post your WHOLE build.

Have you gotten it yet? Maybe we can shave of some cost and improve the GPU.
m
0
l
January 18, 2013 10:58:33 PM

i dont really care about quality that much but it would just be nice to be able to hook it up to my tv

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 975 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($82.18 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($217.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Green 630W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $627.08
m
0
l
January 18, 2013 11:13:35 PM

super jackk said:
hey guys im building my own gaming computer and i had the idea of hooking it up to my tv so is the PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card at least ok at doing this. I cant get a better one because i dont have the money

I have the same cpu and motherboard as you but a different graphics card(hd 7950). I only just upgraded my card from a hd 5850 and i played it on a 46 in tv and it was ok. I use to play my games on my tv with a 8400 gs nvidia years ago. Its not the playing on the tv you need to worry about, but you need to think about is my gpu up to playing the games that i enjoy and will it play the up coming game titles that i want 2 get. A 7870 is a decent card! dont worry m8. If you have ant trouble with linking up 2 your tv then give us a shout.
m
0
l
January 18, 2013 11:18:05 PM

im just going to be playing gmod and counter strike games like that so will that run good hooked up on my tv or should i upgrade something???
m
0
l
January 18, 2013 11:18:29 PM

Novuake said:
Yeah that card will do fine, BUT, you really need to go for a more reliable brand.
Sapphire should not be much more expensive.
What is your budget?
What resolution is the TV?

Whats wrong with powercolor? They are a decent brand and nearly always beat the other brands on reviews. Ive had sapphire cards give up the ghost too you know.:ouch: 
m
0
l
January 18, 2013 11:33:12 PM

super jackk said:
im just going to be playing gmod and counter strike games like that so will that run good hooked up on my tv or should i upgrade something???

One more thing mate. The 7870 can match up 2 the geforce 660ti at a lot of games so dont worry. Playing a game on your tv dont change much between playing on your monitor! Heres a youtube vid with counterstrike global offensive using your card and a processor which is basically the same as a 975 for gaming. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRN-eTu1Rco . Seriously, your right. When you get the chance though, get an intel board and cpu because their loads better for gaming! Im half way 2 changing from amd to intel as i just ordered a asrock z77 extreme 4 motherboard, yet when i have the coin 4 a 2500k intel cpu, anyone knows. Hopefully its soon!
m
0
l
January 18, 2013 11:40:25 PM

so i should stay with my setup???
m
0
l
January 18, 2013 11:55:47 PM

super jackk said:
so i should stay with my setup???

Yeah mate! Your fine. Im running a hd 7950 on a power supply less than yours and im well ok mate. By the way, dont listen 2 people when they say a certain brand of equipment is not good! look 4 yourself. People are fanboys and stick with a brand they like and dis all the rest until they get the brand themselves. They can misguide you sometimes. amd and intel are good, yet intel are doing a lot better. Nvidia are good yet amd are up their with em. they are all the time surpassing each other which is good 4 us because it keeps em honest.
m
0
l
a c 161 U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 12:02:26 AM

bigirishman said:
Yeah mate! Your fine. Im running a hd 7950 on a power supply less than yours and im well ok mate. By the way, dont listen 2 people when they say a certain brand of equipment is not good! look 4 yourself. People are fanboys and stick with a brand they like and dis all the rest until they get the brand themselves. They can misguide you sometimes. amd and intel are good, yet intel are doing a lot better. Nvidia are good yet amd are up their with em. they are all the time surpassing each other which is good 4 us because it keeps em honest.



http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

Take a look. PSU is NOT recommended, its not fanboyism. Its simple physics.

You can buy BETTER PSU for the same price.
m
0
l
January 19, 2013 12:20:50 AM

cool thank you i know nothing about all this stuff so so helped me a lot thanks
m
0
l
January 19, 2013 12:31:29 AM

Novuake said:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

Take a look. PSU is NOT recommended, its not fanboyism. Its simple physics.

You can buy BETTER PSU for the same price.

For what he's got its fine m8! I advised him2 get a 550 xfx pro so i dont know what your on about, I was on about the weirder fanboyism whem its about brands of gpu's. powercolor have made a lot of decent ones, so i was being funny when i heard mentioned that a powercolor aint that good! im sorry if somehow you got offended by me. :love:  ;) 
m
0
l
January 19, 2013 12:36:43 AM

super jackk said:
cool thank you i know nothing about all this stuff so so helped me a lot thanks

Like i said bro! your alright with what youve got. you should upgrade to a better cpu but not unless your having issues with the one youve got. Your powercolor is fine as well. powercolor have overtaken the long lived gpu brands lately and deservidly so. Im not just saying this because i own a powercolor, (i have an xfx) buut i know people have only said good things about them in the circles im in.
m
0
l
January 19, 2013 12:38:10 AM

correction................I ment upgrade your gpu, not your cpu, yet who dont need 2 update their cpu
:lol: 
m
0
l
a c 161 U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 12:46:12 AM

bigirishman said:
For what he's got its fine m8! I advised him2 get a 550 xfx pro so i dont know what your on about, I was on about the weirder fanboyism whem its about brands of gpu's. powercolor have made a lot of decent ones, so i was being funny when i heard mentioned that a powercolor aint that good! im sorry if somehow you got offended by me. :love:  ;) 


Ah well, I don't doubt that Powercolor makes good GPU, but the reference designs from them are unreliable. When you look at their more custom designs, then they are acceptable.
m
0
l
January 19, 2013 12:55:44 AM

Novuake said:
Ah well, I don't doubt that Powercolor makes good GPU, but the reference designs from them are unreliable. When you look at their more custom designs, then they are acceptable.

I agree somewhat mate. Dont you find its mad on this forums? we seem 2 argue about brands and 4get about the person who needs help! im guilty of it sometimes. have a nice day, or night , whereever u are. Im in england and itd 3 in the morning so i need 2 go to bed cause my 6 kids are up early in the morning. B4 i go, powercolor gpu's are real good these days. I agree they werent at first but now the tide has turned. the article about the guys psu was interesting too. :o 
m
0
l
a c 161 U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 1:12:30 AM

bigirishman said:
I agree somewhat mate. Dont you find its mad on this forums? we seem 2 argue about brands and 4get about the person who needs help! im guilty of it sometimes. have a nice day, or night , whereever u are. Im in england and itd 3 in the morning so i need 2 go to bed cause my 6 kids are up early in the morning. B4 i go, powercolor gpu's are real good these days. I agree they werent at first but now the tide has turned. the article about the guys psu was interesting too. :o 


Cool. I am in South Africa, 2 hours ahead os you guys. Night.
m
0
l
!