Cable management in computer case

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Hi guys:

my computer case has pretty bad cable management, mostly because my xfx 7950 is just huge, it almost blocks all the power supply cables into a gap between the card and the wall for hdd. my question is can bad cable management in your case affect your system's performance somehow?

It can if your temperatures rise beyond there normal thresholds. Only you really can be the judge of that. Have you ever felt around your case to feel if the fans were blowing cold air out or hot if your graphics card was blowing hot or cold air out. Good places to start would be.

Coretemp: CPU Temp monitoring
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
And

MSI afterburner: GPU temp monitoring.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/MSI-Afterburner.shtml

kassuba39

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Of course it can. If your cables are lying lackadaisically in your case, it can block airflow. Also, cables from your PS can warm up certainly as well. It's best to have them all organized together.

What you can maybe do is rewiring the system with some organization. Just out of curiosity, what case do you have? I can find you some pictures of good examples of cable management with the certain case.

Also another cooling tip you want to make sure your fans are blowing the correct way depending on where it is placed in the case.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I am strongly suspecting that, the reason why i had 69 C max for gigabyte gtx 660 ti is because it was smaller, so my cables weren't being squeeze together, between the gap of the gpu and the wall of the hard drive. And the XFX 7950 is just HUGE, it seems to have 1.5 of gtx 660 ti's length and it just squeeze the cables together.

i just managed the cables a bit, brought the cables that were in the gap to the front (facing me) of the gpu, lets see wut happens.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

well is kinda hard cuz my cable goes all around the case (fans, gpu).

im keeping it closer to the case shell.

Keeping it close to the outside of the case should be good enough.

These are some cases(some much older).

Sonata
hpim1141au1.gif

Nine Hundred
90001dq0.jpg

Define R2, yes I know the place was a mess.
systemc.jpg

SG05 SFF(its not quite like this any more. 2.5 inch hard drive now and mounted different). Make the most of the space you have.
dsc0465gc.jpg

dsc0504hw.jpg

FT03- It's kind of a cheat
dsc0458s.jpg

Its the back :)
ft03back.jpg

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

so if I want a upgrade i should get a better gpu instead? well then I will need to sell my current one to get my money worth :(

No reason to frown dude. You gave the ability to add a second if you had the case room and your motherboard supported it however. Given the power of the 7950 I would say that it will take around 2 future generations of cards to come by before I feel it would be worth it for you to upgrade. If you want to hold onto your card you could go crossfire but given your card I know its strong enough on its own to not need a 2nd one in a single screen configuration at 1080p.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

geez thanks! I feel alot better about my card now! haha

1 reason I want to xfire is that I want to be able to play 25 + smooth frames maxed out even under fps hammer (namely massive smoke + high msaa).

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

what gets me worry is those fps hammer in bf3, i have gotten as low as 17 fps before in bf3 maxed 4xmsaa , while in tank and massive smoke generating in my screen,(normal smoke is ok)

also, i think this might be a driver issue but metro 2033 has pretty ridiculously low fps on my comp.

far cry 3 can't run on 8 msaa but i guess neither can other cards

and finally, ubersampling in witcher 2 destroy my system.

i might be overthinking about these things tho since i run all these on max and i can play them pretty smoothly for 99% of the time. but you are right i don't see i need to upgrade or anything for a while.

Well uber sampling will cripple most systems honestly. So I don't think you are alone there. I would try lowering your AA+AF if you feel like your frames are to low in BF3. I have my game set to the Ultra Preset no issues here I get over 60 FPS. Although I don't play to many vehicle matches I stick to Kharg Island Team DM TONS! of fun. Kind of off topic what did you think of the Far Cry 3 ending I haven't played the game but I don't know the tribal lady is weird.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

well i usually have no problem with regular gameplay, never gotten lower than 50 fps in regular battle. tank matches kind of destroy me tho, but not sure a 17 fps is normal (this is very rare btw, usually stays above 31fps even in tanks)

and i haven't finish it yet, citra is a weirdo if you ask me, I LOVE far cry 3 to be honest, im just addicted right now, been playing that game 12+ hours per day for the last 2 days.

Far Cry 3
Well there are 2 endings and one is just freaky for far cry 3 it really makes me not want to play the game.
Battlefield 3
Hmm, I should do a tank superiority match and tell you what I get. I didn't drop below 75-80 most times and I died once in a tank and my frames dropped to 45 on ultra preset.