Cable management in computer case

Hi guys:

my computer case has pretty bad cable management, mostly because my xfx 7950 is just huge, it almost blocks all the power supply cables into a gap between the card and the wall for hdd. my question is can bad cable management in your case affect your system's performance somehow?
50 answers Last reply
More about cable management computer case
  1. It can if your temperatures rise beyond there normal thresholds. Only you really can be the judge of that. Have you ever felt around your case to feel if the fans were blowing cold air out or hot if your graphics card was blowing hot or cold air out. Good places to start would be.

Coretemp: CPU Temp monitoring
    http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
    And

MSI afterburner: GPU temp monitoring.
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/MSI-Afterburner.shtml
  2. Of course it can. If your cables are lying lackadaisically in your case, it can block airflow. Also, cables from your PS can warm up certainly as well. It's best to have them all organized together.

What you can maybe do is rewiring the system with some organization. Just out of curiosity, what case do you have? I can find you some pictures of good examples of cable management with the certain case.

Also another cooling tip you want to make sure your fans are blowing the correct way depending on where it is placed in the case.
  3. Well air flow is important but you don't necessarily need a cable tied system completely tied down to your motherboard tray and chassis. But it would help improve things certainly.
  4. I am strongly suspecting that, the reason why i had 69 C max for gigabyte gtx 660 ti is because it was smaller, so my cables weren't being squeeze together, between the gap of the gpu and the wall of the hard drive. And the XFX 7950 is just HUGE, it seems to have 1.5 of gtx 660 ti's length and it just squeeze the cables together.

i just managed the cables a bit, brought the cables that were in the gap to the front (facing me) of the gpu, lets see wut happens.
  5. I would suspect the temps will drop :P but yea watch it
  6. Depending on the case, I would just pile extra cables on the floor of the case.

Keep cables from blocking vents and fans if you can.

Got a pic? :)
  7. Isn't that kind of website nuke :P But yea a pic would be cool to see how it looks inside.
  8. nukemaster said:
    Depending on the case, I would just pile extra cables on the floor of the case.

Keep cables from blocking vents and fans if you can.

Got a pic? :)

well is kinda hard cuz my cable goes all around the case (fans, gpu).

im keeping it closer to the case shell.
  9. Keeping it close to the outside of the case should be good enough.

These are some cases(some much older).

Sonata

Nine Hundred

Define R2, yes I know the place was a mess.

SG05 SFF(its not quite like this any more. 2.5 inch hard drive now and mounted different). Make the most of the space you have.

FT03- It's kind of a cheat

Its the back :)
  10. what case do you have? if you have a decent one, you should be routing those cables behind the mobo tray, so most cables should be hidden.it won't disrupt airflow and will look clean (aside from dust :)
  11. ^^ Very good (Nukemaster). Use cable ties to bundle up cables. Make sure they don't block fans or holes where air comes in/out.
  12. I have a zalman z11 plus, gs700 psu, the thing with the 7950 is that it is just huge, Im thinking about rather or not i will be able to xfire in the future.
  13. Stick to one GPU hihiip. Unless you are wanting 60+frames per second on multiple screens you will be a okay.
  14. bigshootr8 said:
    Stick to one GPU hihiip. Unless you are wanting 60+frames per second on multiple screens you will be a okay.

so if I want a upgrade i should get a better gpu instead? well then I will need to sell my current one to get my money worth :(
  15. No reason to frown dude. You gave the ability to add a second if you had the case room and your motherboard supported it however. Given the power of the 7950 I would say that it will take around 2 future generations of cards to come by before I feel it would be worth it for you to upgrade. If you want to hold onto your card you could go crossfire but given your card I know its strong enough on its own to not need a 2nd one in a single screen configuration at 1080p.
  16. bigshootr8 said:
    No reason to frown dude. You gave the ability to add a second if you had the case room and your motherboard supported it however. Given the power of the 7950 I would say that it will take a 2 future generations of cards to come by before I feel it would be worth it for you to upgrade. If you want to hold onto your card you could go crossfire but given your card I know its strong enough on its own to not need a 2nd one in a single screen configuration at 1080p.

geez thanks! I feel alot better about my card now! haha

1 reason I want to xfire is that I want to be able to play 25 + smooth frames maxed out even under fps hammer (namely massive smoke + high msaa).
  17. What does the rest of your setup look like man.

CPU:
    RAM:
    MOBO:
    GPU:AMD HD7950
    PSU:
    CASE:
  18. CPU: i5 3570 @ 3.4 (3.8 turbo auto)
    RAM: 16 GB
    MOBO: GA z77x ud3h
    GPU:xfx AMD HD7950 double d edition, @ 900 mhz stock
    PSU: corsair GS700
    CASE: Zalman z11 plus
  19. hmm very odd I don't see your board as a crossfire board but it shows SLi certified. But surely it could.
  20. And honestly given your system specs I'd say you are golden for a while no need to worry man :)
  21. bigshootr8 said:
    And honestly given your system specs I'd say you are golden for a while no need to worry man :)

what gets me worry is those fps hammer in bf3, i have gotten as low as 17 fps before in bf3 maxed 4xmsaa , while in tank and massive smoke generating in my screen,(normal smoke is ok)

also, i think this might be a driver issue but metro 2033 has pretty ridiculously low fps on my comp.

far cry 3 can't run on 8 msaa but i guess neither can other cards

and finally, ubersampling in witcher 2 destroy my system.

i might be overthinking about these things tho since i run all these on max and i can play them pretty smoothly for 99% of the time. but you are right i don't see i need to upgrade or anything for a while.
  22. Well uber sampling will cripple most systems honestly. So I don't think you are alone there. I would try lowering your AA+AF if you feel like your frames are to low in BF3. I have my game set to the Ultra Preset no issues here I get over 60 FPS. Although I don't play to many vehicle matches I stick to Kharg Island Team DM TONS! of fun. Kind of off topic what did you think of the Far Cry 3 ending I haven't played the game but I don't know the tribal lady is weird.
  23. bigshootr8 said:
    Well uber sampling will cripple most systems honestly. So I don't think you are alone there. I would try lowering your AA+AF if you feel like your frames are to low in BF3. I have my game set to the Ultra Preset no issues here I get over 60 FPS. Although I don't play to many vehicle matches I stick to Kharg Island Team DM TONS! of fun. Kind of off topic what did you think of the Far Cry 3 ending I haven't played the game but I don't know the tribal lady is weird.

well i usually have no problem with regular gameplay, never gotten lower than 50 fps in regular battle. tank matches kind of destroy me tho, but not sure a 17 fps is normal (this is very rare btw, usually stays above 31fps even in tanks)

and i haven't finish it yet, citra is a weirdo if you ask me, I LOVE far cry 3 to be honest, im just addicted right now, been playing that game 12+ hours per day for the last 2 days.
  24. Far Cry 3
    Well there are 2 endings and one is just freaky for far cry 3 it really makes me not want to play the game.
    Battlefield 3
    Hmm, I should do a tank superiority match and tell you what I get. I didn't drop below 75-80 most times and I died once in a tank and my frames dropped to 45 on ultra preset.
  25. bigshootr8 said:
    Far Cry 3
    Well there are 2 endings and one is just freaky for far cry 3 it really makes me not want to play the game.
    Battlefield 3
    Hmm, I should do a tank superiority match and tell you what I get. I didn't drop below 75-80 most times and I died once in a tank and my frames dropped to 45 on ultra preset.

do we have similar specs? if so I would be really concern about my rig.
  26. O wait nvm I see you get gtx 670.

well I play on ultra preset too, i think that's the max you can get, and like i said i generally stay above 31. but 17 has happened twice within a month.

I had a 660 ti before and the same thing happened.
  27. Yea that is a little weird does it happen though when you turn down the anti aliasing
  28. bigshootr8 said:
    Yea that is a little weird does it happen though when you turn down the anti aliasing

I haven't tried it, but I think it has something to do with msaa, my friend with a 670 doesn't play with msaa and he is still able to reach 30 fps.
  29. Maybe but I believe I do. Oh nvm I run HBAO
  30. bigshootr8 said:

it looks like you run max too tho, except you have 82 fov and half way motion blur which i doubt makes a difference.

try running tank gameplay and experience more explosions and see what your fps are.

thanks
  31. Okay I'll do a quick run and take a picture for you.
  32. bigshootr8 said:
    Okay I'll do a quick run and take a picture for you.

thanks! would be best if you benchmark it
  33. I just did a tank superiority on death valley and I was getting around 57 fps the entire time I dropped down to 45 frames in tank exploding combat but stayed fairly high in frames. I took a picture of a tank that exploded with my xbow my tank was about to blow up I jumped out and finished his with a xbox explosive arrow :P

34. hihiip201 said:
    thanks! would be best if you benchmark it

I haven't learned exactly how fraps benchmark works thus far but I did find a range of frames as my previous post goes through.
  35. bigshootr8 said:
    I haven't learned exactly how fraps benchmark works thus far but I did find a range of frames as my previous post goes through.

I see, where it looks like your is ther the 670 is just way better than hd 7950 or there are some serious problem with my 7950 then, or it could be my hdd loading ? I doubt it my ram since i have 16gb, cpu shouldn't be bottlenecking at 3.7ghz either.
  36. Well the 670 is stronger then the 7950. And I have my i5 2500k oc'd at 4.2 ghz. I'm running bf3 off a samsung 830 and I just added a new storage drive to get rid of my old sata 2 drive got a 1 tb caviar black.
  37. does the type of drive makes a difference? Also I heard when OC 7950 can be compared to that of 670 and 680.

I just don't see that as much of an option, my gpu has reached as high as 84 C when gaming for 12 hours (Far cry 3). Im gonna rma my gpu soon at some point within my warranty.
  38. Typically the 7950 has been regarded as a really great overclocker if you are willing to put them time into it. I still am very guarded about saying that a card is a good overclocker. I'm wiser then that. Basically I look at every chip and release that there are thermal limits I realize that not every chip is created equal and that when I push more power into my card that there is a change that the temperatures can be higher then another person with the same exact card. And because of this I believe that its a mix of a good card so for example the Vapor-X comes with components that are superior to a stock card (caps, mosfets, chokes) so it has an advantage there however, there is still the silicon chip which will have its limits as well.

So, basically the way I feel is this any card can be a great overclocker. AMD has more headroom because Nvidia has a bit more safeguards and things that the manufactures are unable to enable for the Nvidia cards to protect people from doing something dumb. AMD has always been the pusher for overclocking even there CPU's hold quite a few overclocking records where Intel doesn't even touch.

In terms of your temperatures. I wouldn't feel comfortable with those temperatures either But I would also look into your cases's cooling situation. I have a coolermaster sniper and it has amazing cooling i have a 200mm fan at the front of my case pushing air, I have a back exhaust, and my h100 has the fans pushing the air through the fins and through the ventilation at the top of the case. What is the point of telling you this I had 2x 560ti's at one point during the summer and they would hang around 75 degrees on load which is fine considering they were reference coolers. But I wanted a new case and picked up the 600T case from Corsair because its a nice case has nice Aesthetics and things that were not included within my case since my case was dated. Well the temperatures went up a lot I went from my current temps to around 85 almost 90 my cards were breathing crazy hot air out. I ended up returning the case. So I would evaluate your cooling situation to its a 2 way street with your card.

39. bigshootr8 said:
    Typically the 7950 has been regarded as a really great overclocker if you are willing to put them time into it. I still am very guarded about saying that a card is a good overclocker. I'm wiser then that. Basically I look at every chip and release that there are thermal limits I realize that not every chip is created equal and that when I push more power into my card that there is a change that the temperatures can be higher then another person with the same exact card. And because of this I believe that its a mix of a good card so for example the Vapor-X comes with components that are superior to a stock card (caps, mosfets, chokes) so it has an advantage there however, there is still the silicon chip which will have its limits as well.

So, basically the way I feel is this any card can be a great overclocker. AMD has more headroom because Nvidia has a bit more safeguards and things that the manufactures are unable to enable for the Nvidia cards to protect people from doing something dumb. AMD has always been the pusher for overclocking even there CPU's hold quite a few overclocking records where Intel doesn't even touch.

In terms of your temperatures. I wouldn't feel comfortable with those temperatures either But I would also look into your cases's cooling situation. I have a coolermaster sniper and it has amazing cooling i have a 200mm fan at the front of my case pushing air, I have a back exhaust, and my h100 has the fans pushing the air through the fins and through the ventilation at the top of the case. What is the point of telling you this I had 2x 560ti's at one point during the summer and they would hang around 75 degrees on load which is fine considering they were reference coolers. But I wanted a new case and picked up the 600T case from Corsair because its a nice case has nice Aesthetics and things that were not included within my case since my case was dated. Well the temperatures went up a lot I went from my current temps to around 85 almost 90 my cards were breathing crazy hot air out. I ended up returning the case. So I would evaluate your cooling situation to its a 2 way street with your card.
    http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/bigshootr8/IMG_1992.jpg
    http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/bigshootr8/DSCN0183_zpse3950836.jpg

Wow.....I think I can see how my temperature are so crappy, I have tangling wires and everything, tho it is hard for me to do anything about it since my case is just pretty small...

I had NO idea that the case can have such huge impact on your temps.

But I have always think that it is not my gpu's problem, because when I had the gigabyte 660 ti, my temp never go over 70C. so I just thought there's gotta be something wrong with my 7950, but it may not be the hardware itself but because the size of it.

Anyway, you mentioned that you don't judge a card by how good it is at overclocking. to be hoenst i don't think the 7950 is good either, or at least not mine, or xfx's, i tried ocing from 900 mhz to 1ghz, i did get smoother fps, but then it just crashed after 20-25 minutes of gameplay, the max temp was 83, but i have had gotten to 84 max temp without oc before.
  40. See, exactly overclocking something isn't guaranteed it really irks me when people on the forums claim it is. There was a thread recently that has the discussion of the 7950 overdueing the 680 overclock and it was that exact topic that came up.

And yes cables do play quite a big role. I you can't see it but with my case I have a large punch out on the side panel behind the motherboard tray so its really easy to hide cables. Now I don't have the rubber cable routes but I think I did a okay job. And it very well can be your card. But just keep what I said in mind I changed cases and bam! To me its first Air flow and second cable management. If your case has poor airflow it doesn't matter how well you cable tie your cables off your temps will still be high.
  41. bigshootr8, That 24 pin ATX cable looks good and flexible. Is that the stock AX850 one? the HX850 needed lots of work to bend it nice.

also, how is the noise level on the cougar fans.
  42. Yes I haven't purchased any other cables with my h100. I know they sale Individual braided cables which is awesome but no that is the stock connection. I know that with the HX line some are modular and some aren't could it be because of that? I had no problem flexing it.

The Cougar fans are pretty dead silent they are PWM fans. Although I would consider the noctua static pressure fans, or the SP120's if I were to go at it again.

Only operating at 800-1500 RPM. These are the fans I use.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553002

Here is a guy testing the fans.

43. Oh and here is the corsair braided cables they make specifically for the AX series power supplies pretty awesome looking not sure I would shell out the money for them though 60 dollars is the normal price.

http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/psu-accessories-1.html
  44. Yeah, My HX has some cable attached and it must be the bundle. They bend, but it takes some work.

So I guess I should just stick to my NF-P12's :) I also have some NF-S12's(honestly not bad, but somehow I find the P12 was more quiet over a wider range of speed. hard to explain, but its a bearing noise).

I may keep an eye out for the AX's(or Seasonic) on sale anyway since they offer the semi fanless mode.

I will stop thread jacking now.
  45. Naw its okay its all relevant it goes into cable management. There are newer revisions of the HX series I thought that were modular well semi but I kind of like it that way because you will have the semi cables connected anyway.
  46. bigshootr8 said:
    I just did a tank superiority on death valley and I was getting around 57 fps the entire time I dropped down to 45 frames in tank exploding combat but stayed fairly high in frames. I took a picture of a tank that exploded with my xbow my tank was about to blow up I jumped out and finished his with a xbox explosive arrow :P

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/bigshootr8/bf32013-01-2322-17-24-46_zps75cbb3d6.png

Dude join a 64p caspain baorder server.Go to gas station and get in a tank.And start shooting at ground.And tell me ur fps.This guy added me in battelog and he cries about why his fps go to *** in those situations.Also stay in tank and let chopper bomb you with rockets pods.Tell me your fps.You FPS will go to ***.THIS GUYS JUST DOESN'T BELIEVE ME.You do this and tell him.xD
  47. Okay I'll see if I can find a caspian border 64 player map.
  48. I never dropped more then 45, there was a rare benchmark where my frames dropped to 30, but the average frames stayed at 60+ and my max were above 110.

49. Here is what I was normally seeing as well another benchmark with more time and more in it.

Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Cases Management Cable Computer Graphics Product