Need help. screen locking up and noise

***i posted this elsewhere on the forum but its not getting much attention because it doesnt pertain to the topic i posted under anymore. so ill post here to cover all bases.***

first build ever:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: G.SKILL Value 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C11S-8GNT
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card
Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Full (64-bit)
Mouse: Logitech G9x Wired Laser Mouse
Monitor: HP 2010i 20" widescreen lcd 16:9
Optical Drive: HP DVD-RAM GH60L

every now and then the speakers will make the "burrrrrrr" noise and the screen will stutter/lock up for a second.
screen will stutter every few seconds. this isnt a constant occurrence but occasionally happens and once it does it keeps happening until i restart.

NOTE:
not overclocked.

catalyst and drivers up to date. version 13.1 found here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

this occurs if i do anything graphic intensive. such as streaming video or playing games.

speedfan temps are all under 60C (gpu and cpu get up to about 59c/60c under load while playing bf3)

everything in bios is set to auto/default

help :(
14 answers Last reply
More about need help screen locking noise
  1. d00msdayxx said:

this occurs if i do anything graphic intensive. such as streaming video or playing games.

help :(

Test out your GPU...Switch it with another card, and run a stress test.
  2. i ran prime 95 on it for about an hour and a half and then stopped it.

i dont know how to get or read the results for that test. nothing broke? i guess?

i have a 4830 i can test. ill try that and post result
  3. This sounds like a RAM issue. My wife's PC had this exact problem when I first built it. Replacing the RAM solved the problem.
    Test yours with Memtest86+, one stick at a time.
  4. you have to burn memtest to a cd?

i ran windows memory diagnostic at boot about a week ago and it showed no problems.

and i only have one stick of 8gb ram
  5. Was it one of those mobo + ram combo "deals" that newegg does?
  6. no. i bought them separately
  7. so possible issues are ram or gpu? ill swap out each one at a time and see
  8. swapped gpu and seems fine for now. ill continue and see what happens
  9. if it is the gpu thats the problem what should i do?
  10. Since you just built this, presumably the graphics card is still under warranty. If so, start a RMA with Sapphire.
  11. does overclocking it void warranty?

i only overclocked it slightly for like 2 days. then returned it back to stock because i thought it might be the problem for the issues i explained above
  12. It shouldn't, unless they can prove you overvolted it, which CCC doesn't do.
  13. ok. ill keep this older gpu in and see if the problem happens again. like i said it was every now and then. if it never happens then ill assume it was the 7850 and ill do an rma request
  14. problem seemed to be the gpu. thanks sapphire. for the faulty gpu. in the process of doing RMA now.

thanks everyone
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems