ECC Module on Non-ECC Motherboard

G

I recently upgraded to an Athlon 1.33G processor on a MSI K7T266 Pro2 mainboard with 256M PC2100 RAM. I did not notice upon assembly that the RAM was ECC instead of non-parity. Crucial lists this Mobo as not supporting ECC memory and the user manual confirms this.
Would there be a performance increase (however small) to replace the ECC with a non-parity module???

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I am surprised the memory would even work but thats good.
You would see an increase in performance, probably small.
It would depend on the application.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
I concur - you should see a small increase in performance.

I am also suprised that the system booted without BIOS support for ECC, but I believe the chipset (Via KT266a) does support ECC.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
No. The MCH is setting the ECC and parity checking to zero. This means that it is disabling the checking features and using the entire chip density like non-parity.

Remember:

You can use ECC and Parity on non parity boards but you cannot use Non-parity on parity boards. If the board is looking for parity and can't find it, it will go on strike and not work for you until it gets what it wants. Like I stated above, on non-parity boards the error checking and parity bit checking are hardwired to zero and won't look for the extra bits.

<b>"Taurelilomea-tumbalemorna Tumbaletaurea Lomeanor" - Treebeard</b> :lol: