Blank screen on start up? Help with new build?

Hello! I would just like to say i am new to the forum and that this is my first build but I've also helped many of my friends build computers so I have a little bit more knowledge than the average first builder. Anyway, I just got done putting everything together, plug it up to my monitor via HDMI cable, turn it on and everything seems to go okay. Fans running, CPU fan running, but nothing on my monitor? Just a blank screen, no signal whatsoever. Can someone help please? I'll list my specs below.

CPU: AMD FX-8350
MOBO: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+
GPU: XFX 7870
RAM: 4 gigs of RAM (2x2)
PSU: CORSAIR CX600M 600W
HDD: WD Black 500 GB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA III, 64 MB Cache

I'm kinda new to the whole HDMI set up, i do just hook one end into my PC and the other into my monitor right? That seems too simple to me honestly so i might be doing something wrong there, I've also took out my GPU a couple of times and reset in it's slot. I'm pretty sure my MOBO supports my CPU because it says it supports the multicore FX series on the site, and I've double checked the ram slots and even tried booting it up with one stick of RAM in. Any clues guys?
4 answers Last reply
More about blank screen start build
  1. Make sure the HDMI cord is plugged into the GPU not the motherboard.
  2. It is, I don't think my motherboard has an HDMI output. What exactly am I suppose to see when I start it up? I have a copy of widows 7 already in the trey.
  3. We have a troubleshooting checklist for this exact type of problem. Please perform all the steps in the checklist and let us know how it goes. There's a link to the checklist in my signature.
  4. I did see that earlier, I tried basically everything on that list. Do you think it could be a faulty HDMI cable? Mine is new but that was basically the only thing I didn't see on that post.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems