Sign in with
Your question

PC boots, no beeps and no display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2013 1:38:23 AM

Hi guys,

Ok recently i was having issues with my old rig, it was failing to boot most of the time. I figured it was probably a PSU or mobo issue, I needed an upgrade anyway so i decided to buy myself a bundle from a website. This is a link to the exact bundle I bought;

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU...

- CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz @ 4.40GHz Ivybridge CPU
- Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Artic White 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

After getting my bundle my PC still failed to boot so I replaced the PSU with a new one, a Corsair 800w. This seemed to fix all my issues with regards to booting, or at least powering up my machine.

So this is where im at, when i turn my pc on all the lights and fans and components appear to power up, however I dont get any display from my gfx card whatsoever, its an AMD Radeon 4870 X2. I also dont get any beeps at all.

The mobo has onboard gfx and when i plug my monitor into this I do get a display and I am able to boot into windows and use the PC. I have tried the gfx card in both pci-e slots, it is correctly powered, but still no display. i have also booted without the gfx card in and i still get no beeps so I think i can rule it out for now.

I would believe it is either the CPU, mobo or ram, however the company i bought the bundle off explain that once they build the bundle for you, they overclock it and test it for a number of hours which makes me believe that they would know if these components were faulty.

Any help on what you guys think the problem could be is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the epic long post.

Cheers

More about : boots beeps display

January 19, 2013 1:52:13 AM

does the board have a speaker? most boards don't come with a case speaker bundled in. i had to buy one because my case didn't come with one. this would explain the no beep. as for the GFX card it is most likely no good. have you made sure to plug in the power plugs in to the GFX card?
January 19, 2013 2:01:11 AM

Try these: 1)uplug the gpu and boot into windows and update the bios to latest.2)after go to bios-advanced chipset features or video sett - init first display set it to peg or pci e.
Related resources
January 19, 2013 2:04:32 AM

ive no idea if it has a speaker, how can i check?y yeah the gfx card is properly powered.
January 19, 2013 2:18:10 AM

ASHISH65 - ok i went into the bios and tried to set the first display to pci-e but there wasnt anything obvious for me to change, the only thing that had pcie as an option was already enabled
January 19, 2013 2:37:51 AM

if the board has a speaker it would look like a round black piece of plastic on the board. on inspection of pics of your board you do not have one built in. some where at the bottom of the board you will find a 4 pin connector that says speaker, spk or the like and you need one of these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the end of this, the round part would be hard mounted to the board if it was built in. this gives the beeps.

if the GFX card is powered and is not giving a display the most likely cause is a bad card. I have had my bios set to use the on board VGA and still got display through a dedicated GPU so the chances of that setting being the issue is slim. Usually that setting would be in the chipset settings.
January 19, 2013 3:29:58 AM

ok that makes sense, cheers for the help. ill nip out and grab a cheap gfx card to test, looks like im gonna have to fork out another £100 or so!

ill update this when i know for certain what the problem is
January 19, 2013 4:15:26 AM

Ummmm....with a new Motherboard, you formatted the Hard drive and reinstalled Windows right ????? You have an "old rig" and therefore your windows install was replete with drivers for old chipsets and stuff that its trying to find while booting and they are not there. Sometimes it does work .... it rarely works well.

Does your case have a speaker ? Does your MoBo have a speaker or speaker connection ? I haven't seen one in quite a while, most enthusiast boards now use LEDs or diagnostic cards.

Also, one common mistake.... id the monitor OSD set to the correct input ?
January 20, 2013 9:42:00 PM

ok guys i managed to get it working but i have no idea how. literally all i did was take out the two sticks of ram and put them in again into the exact same slots and the next time i booted it worked.

cheers for all the suggestions and help
!