Stutter on 7970?

firaaero

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Hi! i recently got my 3rd replacement GPU from my 2 other broken XFX ones, but thats another story. Now i have a Gigabyte 7970 3gb Ghz edition. There is no artifacts on this like my other two, but one thing is common. When i play games on fullscreen windowed mode/ windowed mode, i get a lot of stuttering and makes it unplayable at some times its fine, but majority of the time its always showing these results (From Counter Strike Global Offensive)
http://postimage.org/image/cw9zcqxtn/
http://postimage.org/image/b6uk255ql/
one of them is normal unlimited fps and the other is locked at 60, they are still getting really bad stutter, this also occurs on all my other games such as.
Cod black ops 2
cod mw3
guild wars 2
cs go
l4d2
league of legends and others too.
This has become a problem because i have two monitors and i like to use the second one while sometimes waiting on stuff on the first where my game is. Please help me with this. Thank you very much! :D

zcoot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
On topic...

Have you updated your driver to the latest version (13.1)?

If you have download the latest CAPS (Profiles) off the AMD website and see if that works.

Are the monitors you running the same and/or same resolution?

Could you also post your system specs.

BTW if you are playing games like the ones you mentioned, that GPU is more then you need. A 7770 would be able to pull off full settings.

BriboCN

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
It is likely that you have an old residual driver or file that is causing complications and it is not getting removed properly when you uninstall AMD drivers. Below is a guide on how to fully remove drivers from your system. You did not post your system specs, but DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU HAVE AN AMD CPU AS YOU WILL REMOVE MOTHERBOARD CHIPSET FILES.

1. Go to Add/Remove Programs

2. Uninstall the Catalyst Install manager (Express Uninstall)

3. Reboot the computer and log back into windows as normal

4. Go to folder options and select “show hidden files and folders”

The next part of the guide will remove all ATi/AMD files and folders from the computer.

5. Go to your C drive and remove the “AMD” folder

6. Double click the “Program Data” folder (Normally hidden) and remove all ATi/AMD folders

7. Go back to C and double click “Program Files” and remove all ATi/AMD folders

8. Go back to C and double click “Program Files (x86)” and remove all ATi/AMD folders

9. Go back to C and double click “Users”

10. Access the name of your windows profile and double click “AppData” (Normally hidden)

11. Check the “Local”, “LocalLow” and “Roaming” folders for any ATi/AMD folders and remove them.

12. Go back to “Users” and check the “Default” folder (Normally hidden)

13. Double click “AppData” (Normally hidden)

14. Check the “Local” and “Roaming” folders for any ATi/AMD folders and remove them.

The next part of the guide will remove registry entries left by the AMD drivers.
15. Close everything down and go back to your desktop

16. Click start, then type “regedit”.

17. Click “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” and extend the folder

18. Click “Software” and extend the folder

19. Remove all AMD and ATi Folders

20. Click “Wow6432Node” and extend the folder (Within the software folder)

21. Remove the “AMD” folder

22. Click “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” and extend the folder

23. Click “SOFTWARE” and extend the folder

24. Remove all AMD and ATi Folders

25. Click “Wow6432Node” and extend the folder

26. Remove all AMD and ATi Folders

27. Click “HKEY_USERS” and extend the folder

28. Click “.DEFAULT” and extend the folder

29. Click “Software” and extend the folder

30. Remove all AMD and ATi folders

31. Click “S-1-5-18” and extend the folder

32. Click “Software” and extend the folder

33. Remove all AMD and ATi folders

34. Click “S-1-5-21-1632250243-966907716-928185508-1000” and extend the folder

35. Click “Software” and extend the folder

36. Remove all AMD and ATi Folders

37. Close down regedit and empty your recycle bin

38. Undo the folder options change to hide the hidden folders

39. Reboot

40. Install your AMD/Nvidia drivers and reboot

(Remember, if you look in some of the folders mentioned in this guide but don’t have any AMD/ATi folders, just move to the next appropriate step. This means the uninstall option has removed such files for you. But as we know, the uninstaller still leaves a lot of things behind)

Guide was not written by me (Thanks BradleyW) but I have used it before with great results.

What is your full system? While it may very well be the 7970, as stuttering has been shown to be a problem for AMD's cards. The good news is if that is the problem, they have finally started trying to fix the issue with the latest alpha drivers (not available yet).

Read through this if you are interested: http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti-revisited

Bad RAM and hdd can also cause stutters.

firaaero

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Thanks for the replies! My full specs are
AMD Phenom II x 4 970 BE @ 3.5Ghz
8gb corsair ram (think 1333mhz)
GPU as above
samsung 840 as primary with 2 other storage drives
750w psu

also before this my 6970 did not have these problems.

firaaero

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Just updated drivers after using driver sweeper to the latest 13.1 drivers. So far everything it fine. But l4d2 i experienced some stutter. But as of now it is okay and is usually the case when i reinstall a driver but usually after a restart and i try again it will continue with the stutter. Will check again soon!

firaaero

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Thats weird, but everything runs fine on fullscreen windowed mode. Also this problem was not occurring on my 6970. I am planning to get an upgrade soon on my CPU. But as of now i am trying to solve this. After installing the new drivers it ran fine until i restarted and now the stutter in windowed mode/fullscreen windowed still occurs

JoshAmsden

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
is the graphics overdrive enabled? even if not overclocked, I have experienced stutter while on dual monitor with one of them a hdmi tv connection when the overdrive is enabled. Even if underclocked, with the fans set to full, I still get stutter on the tv display, or if the tv is set as default i will get it on the monitor(dvi). uncheck the box, poof! no stutter!!!