CD drive won't recognize disk

I recently installed Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction on my computer. It
installed okay, but we can't play it. Every time we click on the game, a
message comes up telling us to verify that the CD is in the drive, and then
click Retry. The CD is in the drive. No matter how many times we click Retry,
the game won't start.
We're running a brand new Dell Dimension 2400, with Windows XP. If you need
any other information, post a message. I'll be happy to provide.
Thank you all so much for your assistance!
5 answers Last reply
More about drive recognize disk

    Hi Nicci,

    Before we begin troubleshooting the issue, if you have more than one
    DISC player (CD/DVD/CDRW/DVDR/ETC) in your system, I've seen
    this type of problem resolved by simply using the other DISC player. :-)

    Here are some other more involved solutions which have worked:

    1. Before we begin, please save a restore point for your system.
    How to use Windows XP System Restore:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/systemrestore.asp

    2. You might be affected by problems similar to the Insert CD error.
    - Try the advice and DL at: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228985
    Another trick that I found sometimes works is to make the limited account an
    administrator account and run that game once. This should create the registry
    settings and permissions for that user to be able to properly run the game.

    3. Kazaa or Kazaa light is installed on your system.
    - Uninstall the game(s) and Kazaa, and reinstall from original CD.

    4. Multiple CD drives on your system including Virtual CD drives.
    - Disconnect all but the main CD drive and try the game. You
    might have an older drive, or a CD Writer which is incompatible
    with the Safe Disk copy protection on the CD. (Contact Vendor).

    5. Your antivirus or application firewall might be conflicting with it.
    - Disable the software temporarily.

    6. There might be a patch available for your game to correct the issue.
    - Try www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a/ or the game's site.

    7. Your desktop may need to be set at least 800x600 and 16 colors.
    - Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel / Click Display

    8. Your Video, Sound, or Monitor drivers may need updating.
    - Try updating your Video drivers using the instructions at:
    http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers

    9. You might have software running on your system which is causing conflicts.
    - Temporarily disable Startup programs one at a time, starting with Firewall,
    AV, and ad blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php
    You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

    10. Maybe a Microsoft Security patch is the culprit. The only way to be sure is
    to Unplug from your Internet connection, and then repair Windows using
    this method: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    After you reboot, try the game again. If it works, save a new restore point.

    Lastly, boot up your system, turn on your XP Internet Firewall, plug back
    into your Internet connection and install all Critical and Recommended updates
    from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com one at a time. Test the game after
    each update to find which is causing the game not to start on your PC. :-)

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Nicci" <Nicci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A1EF535-7867-4F76-8E30-4D9A6A3007E9@microsoft.com...
    |I recently installed Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction on my computer. It
    | installed okay, but we can't play it. Every time we click on the game, a
    | message comes up telling us to verify that the CD is in the drive, and then
    | click Retry. The CD is in the drive. No matter how many times we click Retry,
    | the game won't start.
    | We're running a brand new Dell Dimension 2400, with Windows XP. If you need
    | any other information, post a message. I'll be happy to provide.
    | Thank you all so much for your assistance!

    is it an original game or a copy, if it's a copy that's your problem.
    most games will allow you to install from a copy but not play the game.
    the only way would be:
    a. get an original game
    b. get a crack

    Nicci wrote:

    > I recently installed Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction on my computer. It
    > installed okay, but we can't play it. Every time we click on the game, a
    > message comes up telling us to verify that the CD is in the drive, and then
    > click Retry. The CD is in the drive. No matter how many times we click Retry,
    > the game won't start.
    > We're running a brand new Dell Dimension 2400, with Windows XP. If you need
    > any other information, post a message. I'll be happy to provide.
    > Thank you all so much for your assistance!

    Well, I tried almost all of your options, and it would seem you nailed it
    with #4. We only have one drive, but it's a CDR W drive. I never even
    considered the possibility that this might have been the problem. I'm going
    to contact the support that came with the game, and see if they have any
    advice for us. Thanks, Jimmy! You've been a big help!

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >

    > "Nicci" <Nicci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A1EF535-7867-4F76-8E30-4D9A6A3007E9@microsoft.com...
    > |I recently installed Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction on my computer. It
    > | installed okay, but we can't play it. Every time we click on the game, a
    > | message comes up telling us to verify that the CD is in the drive, and then
    > | click Retry. The CD is in the drive. No matter how many times we click Retry,
    > | the game won't start.
    > | We're running a brand new Dell Dimension 2400, with Windows XP. If you need
    > | any other information, post a message. I'll be happy to provide.
    > | Thank you all so much for your assistance!

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    My pleasure Nicci! :-)

    --

    "Nicci" <Nicci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3F89819-C37D-427F-8B64-62BEF92FF43D@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    | > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    | > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    | >

    | > "Nicci" <Nicci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A1EF535-7867-4F76-8E30-4D9A6A3007E9@microsoft.com...
    | > |I recently installed Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction on my computer. It
    | > | installed okay, but we can't play it. Every time we click on the game, a
    | > | message comes up telling us to verify that the CD is in the drive, and then
    | > | click Retry. The CD is in the drive. No matter how many times we click Retry,
    | > | the game won't start.
    | > | We're running a brand new Dell Dimension 2400, with Windows XP. If you need
    | > | any other information, post a message. I'll be happy to provide.
    | > | Thank you all so much for your assistance!

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Had the Same problem... the CD Rom it self like to be picky.. i had that
    problem with burnable ones on my LITE ON a few months ago.. it would read
    regular disks but never a burned it would just give up

Games CD Drives Windows XP