Picking a proper heatsink/fan for asus rampage iii extreme

davey818

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
hey guys first and foremost im new to the community and i have been going off things on this site/forum since i was 12 years old, now im 26 yrs old and im buying my own gaming rigs instead of getting hand me downs from my dad like when i was little.. (sorry small introduction). i have a few questions regarding my above thread title.

i purchased a gaming rig just a few days ago, i got an i7 960, 6 sticks of 2 gig corsair dominator gt ram( with ram cooler on it), danger den tower 26 case, and 2 ati radeon crossfire video cards, and a 1200 watt ultra modular power supply. my question is with my current set up, my processor is idling at about 50-55 celcius on stock cooling, now from what i been reading this is normal for these chips, my question is does anyone have any suggestions on heatsink fan combos that will actually FIT in that motherboard, that damn cpu socket is RIGHT next to those south/north bridge heatsinks, the ram, the ram cooler, everything is so tight im unsure which heatsink/fan i should get that will give me alot more cooling power then that stock one, because i am not comftorable with temps at 55 idle, are these temps really high as it is for stock cooling or?

any help is appreciated it, im just having a hell of a time finding a decent heatsink/fan that will actually fit in that space, thanks so much guys in advance, you guys rock!

-Davey :eek: