Two Questions about graphics cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGreeneJeans

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Is an integrated graphics card built into the motherboard (i.e. you can't actually remove it)?

Second, upon the suggestion of a user (and quite a bit of digging myself), i am planning on getting a Radeon HD 7750 to replace the Intel HD Graphics 2500. Unfortunately, I cannot find any specs for power consumption on the part of this card. I've been told that the 300W supply that comes with my new computer won't be enough. Any ideas on what wattage I need?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969

This is the card ^^^

Solution
A) IGP's are either on-die or in the chipset/on the motherboard. They are not removable.

B) There are variations of the 7750, an 800Mhz version that can be powered solely by the PCI lane on the motherboard, and one which does need auxiliary power from the PSU (The latter being clocked at 900Mhz). If you are buying it for gaming you will be dissapointed.

timil

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
A) IGP's are either on-die or in the chipset/on the motherboard. They are not removable.

B) There are variations of the 7750, an 800Mhz version that can be powered solely by the PCI lane on the motherboard, and one which does need auxiliary power from the PSU (The latter being clocked at 900Mhz). If you are buying it for gaming you will be dissapointed.

Solution

A) Was already answered by timil. You can disable it though. Why would you want to remove it?

B) The HD7750 can work with a RELIABLE 300w. I doubt the PSU you have is reliable enough for that.

A good graphics card depends very much on the resolution of your display and the games you play, the minimum I would suggest for ANY resolution and game is the HD7770. BUt if you have an HD 1080p monitor, I would say the HD7850/GTX660 is the minimum.

What games do you play and what is your display resolution?

MrGreeneJeans

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Let's say $200. I just spent a bunch of money on a new computer and monitor.

I have no intention of playing games like Skyrim or Borderlands on the PC. I know my low budget computer won;t handle them. However, I would like to be able to play games like Minecraft efficiently and with far render, high quality graphics, etc.

1920 x 1080 on the monitor. It has an HDMI port as well.

Dell ST2220L Glossy Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor DC 8000000:1 (1000:1)

And the computer itself:

iBUYPOWER Gamer Power NE711i Desktop PC
Intel Core i3 3220(3.30GHz)
8GB DDR3 500GB
HDD Capacity Intel HD Graphics 2500
Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.