Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Deskjet 812c, Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
January 31, 2010 6:16:42 PM

I have followed the directions for installing a driver for the Deskjet 812c on Windows 7. But the printer still doesn't work: the light on the printer indicating that it is receiving data flashes for about 5 minutes, then it shoots out a blank page and Windows 7 says that it is out of paper. It is hooked up with a parallel-to-USB cable. Any recommendations?

More about : deskjet 812c windows

February 1, 2010 4:07:55 PM

my best guess is that Windows 7 / printer driver has an issue with the parallel - to - USB cable; I would try connecting the computer and printer with an USB cable (as long your computer has a free USB port) and see if this resolves the problem.
m
0
l
February 2, 2010 2:22:57 PM

Unfortunately, the printer doesn't have a USB port. I've connected from a USB port on the computer to the parallel port on the printer. As someone stated earlier in a related thread: this printer is from 1999, dude!

But it works and the ink isn't too expensive, relatively... do you think the problem could be the specific parallel to USB cable? It's a Belkin that I got from Staples.

Thanks.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2010 2:35:22 PM

sastahl said:
I have followed the directions for installing a driver for the Deskjet 812c on Windows 7.

What instructions did you follow? Windows 7 has a driver built in for the 812C - did you use that one?

Would I be right in supposing that you don't have a parallel port on your computer?
m
0
l

Best solution

February 2, 2010 4:07:14 PM

sastahl said:
Unfortunately, the printer doesn't have a USB port. I've connected from a USB port on the computer to the parallel port on the printer. As someone stated earlier in a related thread: this printer is from 1999, dude!

But it works and the ink isn't too expensive, relatively... do you think the problem could be the specific parallel to USB cable? It's a Belkin that I got from Staples.

Thanks.


at the end it doesn't really matter which way around. As ijack stated Windows 7 should have the correct driver support for your printer. I don't think that the cable itself is physically broken, but it might interfere with the way the printer can communicate with the software.


So the best check would be to have either a generic parallel cable or generic USB connection....
to be honest...my advive would be to buy a USB printer, considering that they are as cheap as chips this shouldn't break the bank.

Otherwise there are a lot of threads in other forums about "USB to parallel printer install" but a lot of them don't seem to have happy endings...(at least the ones I could find).
Share
February 2, 2010 5:13:10 PM

Since I don't have a common type of port between the printer and the computer, installing a generic cable isn't an option. I suppose that we will have to buy another printer.

On the microsoft site 96% of the more-than-250 people that asked questions about this printer said that they could get it to work on Windows 7. Unfortunately, no descriptions of what happened to the other 4%!

Thanks for your help.
m
0
l
February 9, 2010 12:05:15 PM

Best answer selected by sastahl.
m
0
l
!