Trying to work out my bottleneck, cpu?

Crone_

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hey,

So I am looking at upgrading a/some components of my computer, I know a few parts are outdated but I am not wanting to go the whole way and replace everything. Playing Crysis 3 at the moment running on medium setttings, max resolution, no AA.

Any suggestions would be great, I am thinking my cpu is what may be holding me back a bit.

Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout
Motherboard: Asus P6T x58 LGA1366
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 620w 80-plus Bronze rated
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66ghz (OC'd to 3.63 GHz) with a Coolermaster V8 CPU cooler
GPU: Radeon 7870 HZ edition
RAM: 12gb (6x 2gb) Corsair XMS-3 1600mhz
Hard Drive 1: Samsung 128gb SSD
Hard Drive 2: 500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Hard Drive 3: 500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Optical: LG Blu-ray/HD-DVD reader
Network: TP-Link A/B/G PCI Card

Cheers!

Crone_

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
I just mean that I was expecting better performance with my 7870 (I bought this card recently). I know the CPU is old and thought I may be able to push the settings higher in games (main use of PC) if it were replaced.

Crone_

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Ok thanks. Do you think I should adjust anything in the catalyst control center? I have heard of people adjusting these settings for better game play.

That I would not know; I have an Nvidia card ATM and have not used CCC in a while. In my experience, try to select a single monitor profile, toggle the vSync until you're happy with the results and if you run a high resolution you don't need AA (BTW, make sure AA is not enabled in CCC and is not forced, otherwise it will take precedence over the game setting and still be enabled).