Building system vs hp/dell/asus

Jaxxx123

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
So I keep reading that its better and cheaper to build my own desktop instead of buying one.

I started building one for my needs i5, 8gb, 1tb, and a decent video card around $50, windows 8.

All together this came out to about $600, which is not bad but I can buy a dell xps or asus tower for the same price with the same of better specs???

AmI putting all this together wrong?

reggie2014

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
always go asus i only buy asus where i can manage it ,especially with motherboards or any electrical pc equipment because for that little extra money its built to last

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
you might be... first off can you link us to all the parts you were looking at and the dell you were also looking at

the thing is that you may be getting a 7200rpm 1tb hard drive and they give you a 5400rpm hard drive, this is about a 30 dollar different in market

also if you want to play games at all then pay at least 100 dollars for a graphics card(though if you only want to play very basic games such as minecraft with default texture the onboard graphics for an i5-2500k for example would be just fine)

anyways please send us the links to everything and the we can help you :D

Jaxxx123

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
The only game I want to play is the new sim city, I'm not too big on gaming..mi will mostly be doing photo editing and lightroom/photoshop.

Hers the dell is was looking at...

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=7622052&pid=1218855257008

I don't have a system of the top of my head right now . I only tried putting one quickly and it always ends up around $600 at least for a comparable system the dell has.