Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte raedon hd 7970 won't work?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
January 19, 2013 11:53:36 AM

Okay, so i just got my new Gigabyte raedon 7970, and i can't get it work :( 

Im sure about that it's correctly plugged and i have enough power to run it (750w)

So when i start the computer, card seems to power up. Fans do spin.
But i just get a black screen ?
Also im not sure does the computer boot.. Cause black screen..

I have tried clearing CMOS, but that didn't help.

At one boot, i did connect another display to intel hd 4000 graphics slot. And selected to use intrenal graphigs first.

Then i checked from device manager do i see 7970 there. No

Overall the card looks good, and it hasn't damaged

I have no second rig to test does it work.

Please help, what can be the prob ?? !!
January 19, 2013 12:35:17 PM

Please provide your system specs so we can help you. Especially we need to know the brand and model of your power supply. Power supplies are the most common cause of the failure you are describing.
Anonymous
January 19, 2013 1:09:34 PM

Corsair CX 750W

Intel core i7 3770

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H MOBO

OCZ Vertex 3 ssd and Some old Seagate storage hdd.

I have also tried to unplug everything unnecessary ad-dons from computer, to success boot.

What makes the situation harder, is that i have no post beep component :/ 
If i can, i try to solve if it gives some kind of signal using red LED diode.
Related resources
Anonymous
January 19, 2013 1:38:56 PM

Just tried power the card with molex pins, trough adapter to pci.
Didn't work either.
January 19, 2013 1:54:17 PM

What connections are you using? Have you tried various cables and connections? Usually cards want the DVI connection to be the main when you start. Have you connected both IGP to one display and tried connecting the 7970 also to another display? I run both on mine with 3 displays and it works fine with the IGP as a secondary. That is not always the case though. You should disable onboard IGP and remove drivers and then select PCI or PEG slot as main display adapter in BIOS. Go from there.
January 19, 2013 1:54:45 PM

Well you have high quality components which worked fine before your upgrade. I'm going to have to recommend you RMA the card and get one that works....
Anonymous
January 19, 2013 2:08:02 PM

maestro0428 said:
What connections are you using? Have you tried various cables and connections? Usually cards want the DVI connection to be the main when you start. Have you connected both IGP to one display and tried connecting the 7970 also to another display? I run both on mine with 3 displays and it works fine with the IGP as a secondary. That is not always the case though. You should disable onboard IGP and remove drivers and then select PCI or PEG slot as main display adapter in BIOS. Go from there.

Yes, i'v been playing with 3 displays, every of them are different resolution.
I have tried DVI and HDMI ports. There is only left mini-display port, but i have no cables for it.

Going to hang out to the BIOS --->

Anonymous
January 19, 2013 2:24:58 PM

Back.

So I was looking at bios, and i changed it so if the system cant use card from pci it will use internal graphics.
System did boot well and display that i'v connected to internal graphics did work.

But, now when i look at the windows device manager, i can see possibly the 7970 there...

There is tab that says "Other devices" "Unknown device" "location PCI slot"

No futher details about it. It says that "There is no drivers installed for this device"
I Have installed drivers from CD that i get with card.
When i select "detect and install drivers automatically" It says not available, search from manufactures sites.

What makes me more confused is that it says PCI slot, not PCIe.
Anonymous
January 19, 2013 2:39:30 PM

I have 1 more idea to test...

What do you think if i unplug everything, and just plug processor, Some ram, 7970, and 1 external hdd, with clean new windows 7 installer on it.

Then just inistal window to external hdd, and see if the card works ?
Also i think it's good to clear CMOS and reset 7970's bios before doin'g that.

If this doesn't work the card is broken, right ?
January 19, 2013 3:12:20 PM

get the latest drivers from amd and see if that works
Anonymous
January 19, 2013 4:11:40 PM

lostmyclan said:
hello my friend :)  many gigabytes card have problems in bios. better u return to rma. our change the card.

the bios have some faliures in voltage.
system crash, faliures and artifacts on screen.

Hmm, starts to look like it's the best solution so far...
Thanks for help all anyways :) 
February 3, 2013 11:04:44 AM

Quote:
Hmm, starts to look like it's the best solution so far...
Thanks for help all anyways :) 

Did you solve the problem? Becasue I have the same problem with gigabyte hd 7970.
April 11, 2013 5:08:30 AM

I have this issue now as well. Any insight on this? Thanks beforehand.
April 13, 2013 8:06:47 AM

I have the same problem but a workaround for my issue is to disconnect my monitor. It then boots and I can connect my monitor after boot. I am using a DVI to VGA adapter as my monitor is older so I havent tried other connections, but what I do know is if I have the DVI plugged in at boot, its just a black screen with no POST, then it sometimes takes several power cycles to get it to boot again. Weird problem. I have a Gigabyte 7970 and motherboard and opened a ticket with them before i figured out this workaround. Not sure I'll worry about it as this system will be headless, but definitely not a workaround for a standard desktop.
May 14, 2013 1:49:53 PM

Okay, I just came back here and tell what was wrong with this thing.
Just motherboard BIOS update and all the problems were gone.

I'v heard that othe people have this same problem with different cards, so i hope this helps a bit.

(I'm the same guy who started this thread)
!