I keep getting "Reboot and select proper boot device"

porkchop_59

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Hey,
I just finished my first build and I am trying to download the operating system, but I just keep getting "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected Boot device and press a key" My mobo is a ASRock B75M-ITX. I have my dvd drive as the first priority, but I have it in Sata port 2, not sure if that has anything to do with it, just accidentally put it that port. I am using a iHas124 D dvd drive and my HDD is a Seagate Barracuda and I have been reading that they were bad, could it be that the HDD is corrupted? The drive sounds like it is powering up and then just doesn't do anything. I also put the OS on a USB and it just keeps saying "Remove disks or other media, push any key to restart." I put the USB as the first boot in this case and it didn't work. I am trying to put Windows 7 on it. I was also. I have no idea what to do, can somebody help me.

twelve25

Distinguished
Did you use a utility to make the USB drive bootable? Did you burn the OS DVD, or is it retail media?

This is the standard message you get when it can't find anything to boot from. It has nothing to do with your HDD, because you have nothing on it yet.

porkchop_59

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

Well it doesn't read any disc I have put in. I put in the disc that came with my motherboard and it didn't read it either. I burnt the OS DVD also, but like I said the drive isn't reading any disc. And I have read that the Seagate Barracude HDDs have been known to be shotty to begin with.

mjmacka

Honorable
May 22, 2012
You need to use special applications to give flash drives the ability to install Windows (or Linux). The PC might be attempting to boot off the flash drive and getting stuck.

Does you PC have a one-time boot menu? Check for it.

Also, try reseating your DVD drive's power and data cables.

It also wouldn't hurt to download Ubuntu and see if that boots. (burn it to a disk or use PenDriveLinux to set it up: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ It can also be used to set a flash drive up to install Windows too.

porkchop_59

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

The iHas Drive I have is the ones that weren't flashed, so I don't think that is the reason. I will try the Ubuntu thing in the morning, I've been trying to figure this thing out now for 6 hours and still no luck and it is starting to make me really mad.

twelve25

Distinguished

It doesn't touch the hard drive until you start the OS install, so you know it can't be the HDD. Seagate and western digital are the top two hard drive brands, so I don't know where you get the idea that it supposed to be defective.

Do you see the DVD drive detected by the SATA controller? Your problem is booting from the CD right now.

porkchop_59

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah, It says it is in Sata port 1, I am going to try the Unbuntu like mjmacka said and then I'll post back.

sillysoft

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
I got the same error when I finished building my system yesterday, once I had my cdrom installed and put in the windows7 disk it booted off the cd just fine and installed. Originally it was trying to boot off a blank ssd drive. So perhaps whatever your trying to use the system is either not booting from it or its trying but not finding anything bootable from that drive.

porkchop_59

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah, I'm starting to think I have a defective DVD drive.