Oct 20, 2012
I recently built a computer with these specs:

AMD FX 4100 3.6ghz
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P rev.5
1x 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3 1333mhz
WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Sata III
Asus HD7750 1GB
500W Silverstone Strider

My problem is that this PC will not post whenever i have the FX 4100 installed, it will simply turn on the fans rev up to 100% for a second, spin normally, rev up again and again until powered off with no post whatsoever. But with a Phenom II X2 550 installed it posts fine.

I've tried all of the bios versions, including the original for the motherboard (F1 bios that ships with this motherboard supports FX CPUs out of the box) to the beta bios with no avail with the 4100 i brought for it, ive also tried resetting the CMOS.

I would also like to add that the GPU has no external power needed (no PCI E PSU connector). If someone could PLEASE give me some help on this problem or even just suggestions it would be appreciated.

Solution
Not at all. More like 2%.

The only other possibility is some sort of RAM incompatibility. The memory controller is on the CPU, so if for some reason it doesn't know how to deal with that particular single stick.... but AMD CPUs are pretty good with memory.
Not at all. More like 2%.

The only other possibility is some sort of RAM incompatibility. The memory controller is on the CPU, so if for some reason it doesn't know how to deal with that particular single stick.... but AMD CPUs are pretty good with memory.

Solution

nevillethedevil

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012

Hmm sounds a little far fetched.
I think ill just have to try this 4100 in my 8320 build and hope that its the CPU acting up so i can end this problem and get it RMA'd.

nevillethedevil

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012

First, i withdraw my statement of ram incompatibility.
Second, Thank you so much man.

Decided to pull one of the DDR3 sticks out of my build and try it in this one, and it booted up no problems with the FX 4100.

Strange problem, but thanks once again. :D

It's a different world with the built in memory controllers. See the $1600 SBM on the front page. Overclocking RAM with an Intel CPU is BAD NEWS, a lesson Crashman just learned. I learned it myself the hard way last year.

We used to have problems constantly with RAM compatibility on motherboards. Much of that cleared up with DDR3 and the shift to CPU controlled RAM, but it's still an occasional problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.